“Nice hotel away from the crowds.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel away from the crowds.”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This was a romantic trip to celebrate an anniversary. Since we had honeymooned in Galveston, we like to go back annually. This was
our first stay here. The beds were new, the TV was LCD large screen
and there was a balcony that looked onto the Gulf. The room was
well appointed for the price. Built after Hurricane Ike. No beach across
from the hotel. Outdoor pool and Fitness center.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sulphur, Louisiana
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Typically, I am a big fan of Holiday Inn Express. With three children I appreciate the free breakfast. This hotel has several areas it needs to improve. I reserved the room online a month before the trip thinking I would get a good room and a good rate. I was wrong. The two customers before had just got rooms $50 cheaper than I had paid. I requested a gulf-view. When I arrived I was told that they were full and no rooms with a view were available. Later that evening when returning after dinner I over the desk clerk offering a gulf-view room to a lady.
The room was okay. The carpets looked like they had seen many sandy guests. The lock on the bathroom door was broke. And my 6am shower had only cold water.

Room Tip: Don't buy over the internet - Get it in person
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SSC014

Travellers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Jacksonville, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a very nice place to stay. The hotel is pretty new and is kepy clean. The WiFi internet was free and not difficult to access. The best part was the free/complimentary breakfast! It was very satisfying. The location is convienient to Schlitterbahn and Moody Gardens, but the ocean shoreline in this area is lined with granite rocks, not the regular sand beach (it is only from 61st st eastward).

• Stayed July 2011
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This is a great place, great location but never have I had a person treat me like this guy. We were late arriving and he had already charged my card. So I called him and he had an attitude and hung up on me when I asked to speak to his manager. After all this I REFUSED to stay here...eventhough he had already charged my account (which they also refused to refund). HORRIBLE person to represent your first impression. I think Holiday Express needs to fire this guy...or maybe make him just the pool guy. Customer service is not his thing!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GRIFFISTROOP
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The room was OK except there was mold growing on the walls up by the ceiling in multiple places. Our main problem was with the poor service with the shuttle to the ship. The girl at the desk said it was "first come, first served" and put our name on a list and said since there were four families ahead of us, we would be on the 12:00 shuttle. We showed up for the shuttle a little before noon and was told there was no room for us on that shuttle and that we would have to wait. The driver then came in and told us there WAS room on the shuttle and out we went to get on, however, we soon discovered he wanted to seat my daughter on a stool beside his drivers seat. I said no for safety's sake and we got back out. We waited for another 45 minutes and when the shuttle came again, they couldn't figure out how to get my family and another family to the port on time. One of the workers in the hotel offered to take the other family in his own personal SUV to the port. We were told that they usually have another shuttle but that the driver of the other shuttle "decided not to pick up" there on that day. Very unorganized and unreliable. It was the same issue when we got back from our cruise and waited over 45 minutes for the shuttle to come and finally a shuttle driver from another hotel felt sorry for us and took us to our car.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mamatota
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My boyfriend and I flew all the way from Key West to visit family in the area over a pretty busy weekend in Galveston. We came to the hotel and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was with a king bed on the first floor. Vaulted ceiling was nice but the room wouldn't stay cool. The housekeeping staff were excellent and I was happy to escape the hotel briefly everyday and to return to a nice clean room. Unfortunately, we had flight issues getting in and our luggage was expected to be delivered later on so we informed the front desk staff Yvonne to notify us when it arrived. The next day we got in we received a confirmation that our luggage would be in late so when we showed up at our hotel at 12:30a after some fun on the town, I was shocked that our luggage was not in our room, nor was there a message saying it arrived on our phone. Concerned, I went to the front desk to no one up front. I called out "hello" 6+ times to no answer. Shortly after a man in a chair leaned back and looked like he just woke up. He said "what do you want" in a nasty voice. I immediately became irritated and told him we were expecting luggage and wanted to know if it arrived. (I knew it had since I could see it next to his chair). He told me "Come and get it yourself". He made me go behind the "employees only" door to get my luggage. When I went to get it he sat back in his chair and rested his chin on his hand and fell asleep. I was pissed! Who treats ANYONE like that? Messed up, since I have many years of experience working at hotels, chains and independent gorgeous hotels. I've had better experience at creepy motels! Anyways, I took the luggage to our room and called about 20 minutes later for a wake-up call. Shockingly, the disrespectful man I had the unfortunate pleasure of encountering told me "by the way, your luggage is here". No sdflksdjfl;kj sherlock! I just got it. (Didn't say that but that's what I was thinking!). The next day I asked for the manager up front. Yvonne said he wasn't in but would pass the message along. Talk about a liar! I asked for help later on in the business center when the computer printer had no cords and I needed to print some documents. The manager tried helping me, which he was no use. While in the business center I asked him if he had been informed about my experience the following night and he said he hadn't. I told him what happened and all he said was "well....he works like 79+ hours a week and I guess I should just get him more 5-hour energy drinks". He left the room and didn't return. I'm not a mean person or picky, I just expect people to take jobs seriously...considering there are a lot more qualified individuals who would do better out there! The following night I went to the front desk because I needed to print boarding passes (obviously couldn't in the business center). The young lady at the front earlier that day (super sweet gal) said I could use their front computer. The same jerk who worked the previous night said I would have to go to the La Quinta and see if they would let me....Lame! I'm not going to another hotel. I woke up early the next morning to check out - 6am and the jerk was on his phone with loud music playing talking to his mom on the phone. He told me to wait and then said I could print my boarding passes. I have no words to express my terrible experience at the hotel. The general manager should really consider the staff at this hotel with the exception of the housekeepers and the young gal. I will NEVER return to this hotel, EVER! I hope corporate sees this because I deserve an apology and a refund!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank linze1116
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Nice place. Priced same as other hotels in this class (which is expensive this time of year!!). Great view of water from balcony.

• Stayed June 2011