“Better than I thought...”

Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 13 July 2014

After reading the reviews about this hotel and having to stay in Galveston for a couple of days I decided to stay anyway due to the price being very reasonable. True one of the elevators was out but wasn't too much of an inconvenience to me. This hotel is in a great location it was within walking distance to several restaurants and not but maybe 10 minutes from the Downtown Strand District of Galveston which has great shopping. I found that the staff was very friendly. I had an issue with not having towels but it was quickly resolved when I called the front desk and a lovely young lady brought towels up to my room. My advice is don't always believe what you read I was very happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank GoGoGirl73
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for the great review. We work hard to give every guest a great experience. I will share your review with the whole team to encourage them to continue with the great service.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The people at the front desk, maids and people cleaning the pool all were very nice and helpful. However the elevator at one end did not work so my friend had to hobble to the other end. The place could use some work. also the bathroom was not clean when we got there. We cleaned it our-self.

Room Tip: elevator at front does not work.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Linda W
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you, Linda, for your kind words about the staff. I have posted your review for all of the team to see.

I hope you will stay with us again in the future after we have made even more improvements to the rooms and the property.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Horrible hotel. the Lobby looks good but the rooms are terrible. Carpet was old, frayed, and dirty. Really the whole room was dirty and dingy. There was no shampoo the carpet was wet under the a/c and door. The remote did not work the back was off and only one battery to be found. Don't bother to call the front desk for help after trying four times I just gave up.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Texasgoer

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We are working on many of the issues you listed, and will address the issues that we did not know about prior to your review. I do appreciate the time that you took to tell us about where we need to improve. I want you to know that we will continue to improve in the areas that you listed.

I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Having stayed at many red roof inns in the past and never having had a bad experience before, we were shocked at how bad this one was. We booked four days by third party, so it s already paid for or we would have left before getting to the room. This hotel has 2 elevators, neither of which was working so we took the stairs with or luggage to the 4th floor. The next day one elevator was working though poorly. The room at least appeared clean but was of a much lower level than usual. But on the 3rd day we awoke to a huge dead roach on the bathroom floor. We left the card on the bed to indicate they should clean the room rather than just make the bed and leave new towels. However when we returned nothing had be done to the room at all. We called the front desk and the night clerk was very rude, but did send someone to remove the roach and take the trash (she apparently forgot the towels) the next morning I was greeted by live roaches in the bathroom. The pool was not clean as usual for this chain. This red roof inn is WAY bellow what is usual for the chain

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robin G
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

I apologize for your experience. While the season brings its share of creepy crawlies, we are working diligently with our pest control company to keep them outside of the hotel rooms.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know where we fell short. We are working on all of the issues that you mentioned, especially the housekeeping service and the elevators.

I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at the San Luis, the Holiday Inn next door to that, the Baymont Inn, and the Quality Inn and Suites. I need a place with a flat screen tv, microwave and fridge, and can walk a few feet to cross the street(Seawall Blvd) to get to the beach. For me the Red Roof Inn wins on price. If you need anything just go down to the front desk, it is not that hard. The people there are wonderful and friendly, the beds and pillows are soft, the pool looks great(I didn't use just walked by several times to get to the lobby) The Quality Inns pool is indoors so thats actually a ding in the summer time and the neither the Quality & Baymont no longer have hot tubs anymore. Not sure about San Luis and Holiday Inn but they are significantly more expensive but have personal balconies that face the water if you desire that. Redroof is in the right spot. Kroger is right next door so you can walk over and fill your fridge with yogurt, fruit, juice etc..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Don E
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Wow. It is not everyday that a limited service hotel is mentioned favorably with a five-star resort like the San Luis. We are competitively priced to give the best value possible here in Galveston.

I hope that you will stay with us and have a chance to enjoy the pool the next time you are in Galveston. Remember to sign up for Redicard to earn free nights for future stays.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

An oil spill delayed our cruise. 5000+ people were stranded and hotels filled fast ! I booked this off hotels.com. The prices had not jumped yet as many had. The staff were fine, the called in a ton of extra to accommodate the surplus visitors.

The pool was heated! Yay! It was a cold day and rainy so there wasn't a lot of options to do for a lot of grumpy cruise goers ! So swimming in a nice warm pool was great!

My only complaint, the carpeting could be updated! Try to get a room not by the elevator, can be loud at all times of the day.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Laura C
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

I am pleased that our beautiful pool was appreciated on a cool day. I hope you will stay with us in the future when you are catching a cruise out of Galveston. Our free parking while you are on the cruise is convenient and worry-free.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

So my husband and I booked this hotel for this past Monday June 15, 2014. We got a good deal on Travelocity. Let me just tell you, this place is disgusting. While I was in the shower (which had mold on the floor) my husband came into the bathroom and said listen, don't freak out but there is a huge cockroach on the wall. Obviously I freaked out. He went downstairs to the front desk who was unapologetic about the situation moved us after much complaining only to a room down the hall with dirty stained sheets. Thankfully there were no cockroaches in this room. As soon as morning came I went down and said we need to get the heck out of here. I called Travelocity and they moved us immediately. I also left a dress at this hotel and the management "has no idea what happened to it" this hotel is shady. We ended up and Four Points which was fantastic, more expensive by just a little but totally worth it. The only good thing is that the guy I dealt with to move rooms was very nice, but at this point would you rather have a nice staff and filthy cockroach room, or pay more money for nice clean rooms and friendly staff. Please never stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley31297

I want to apologize for the first day of your stay. While we work with an excellent pest management company to keep the rooms free of any insects, this is a humid, tropical environment and occasional insects will occur. I have advised my service tech of your situation and we will continue the endeavor to keep the outside insects outside.

I hope that the following five nights of your stay went well. Just to let you know, we are still looking for the dress that you stated was left in the first room.