“Fabulous walk in the State Park”

Galveston Island State Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$750.00*
and up
Half-Day Private Fishing Trip from Galveston
Ranked #16 of 103 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic park offering camping, hiking, bird watching, biking and swimming.
Houston, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fabulous walk in the State Park”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We visited the park on a cold, windy but bright day in April. The trails were well laid out and were interesting to walk along. The bird life was amazing, even for the someone that's not really a bird watcher- like me! We saw pelicans, spoonbills, egrets and herons, amongst many other species.
It was truly a great experience and would definitely recommend it as a fab way to spend a couple of hours in the fresh air enjoying nature!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank helen m

Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Unique habitat”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was at the park (the bay side) in April for the spring bird migration and attended a kayaking trip as part of the annual Featherfest event; I also explored the park on foot. The kayaking guide took us through the marshes and inlets, explaining the sensitive and important flora as well as birds. I had no idea that the area was so vital to the island's ecosystem and to birds. Viewing the habitat from a kayak was much different than on foot. I now have a great appreciation for that unique and diverse habitat.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Sayarma
Denver, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Just go to Beach”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

There is nothing there, at all. You have much better sand and swimming at the regular beach than you would at the "state park". It's not up kept and is pretty ugly.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Shannon C
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Quiet and beautiful”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Nice park: we camped in a motorhome. Premium sites are pretty spacious, wish they had more of those. The beach was clean. Very quiet: you'll see vehicles moving at a distance but won't hear a thing! The ladies at the office were very nice and helpful.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Dixie_cl
Houston
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Free fishing in the state park”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Well, I have been coming to the state park since I was a girl of 11 years old. Hurricane Ike a few years back took out all the facilities of the state park and they had to rebuild. At first it was a waterhose shower, and port-a-potties, but they perservered and now a few years later are making a come back. I took my daughters (teenagers) to the park for only the 2nd time since Hurricane Ike. The improvements to the park are utterly amazing. First, I would like to say we did not camp/rv there, but those facilities are up and running again, and there was a no vacancy sign so that area is completed and in full use again. Wonderful, great place to spend the night if you camp/rv. Secondly, They now have a spacious registration office with a small store for sundries/snacks/suntan lotion stuff you may have forgot. Well, we registered in as "day use". Very reasonable $5.00/person. The park official informed us that they now have dressing rooms again, flush toilets (although, port-a-potties were there too - guessing for spring break crowd) outside showers to get the sand off, and then...drum roll please, they have 2 handicapped picnic areas and atleast 50 picnic benches with BBQ pits so you can cook what you catch/bring!! They have made huge advances since Hurricane Ike. One last thing, I asked if we could fish without a saltwater tag like I had heard and the answer is YES!! This is huge because we don't saltwater fish on any kind of regular basis and I felt that I was able to share that new experience with my daughters and see if they liked the sport before we invest money/equipment/licenses on this. The park ranger said as long as your within the state park (ANY STATE PARK IN TEXAS) you can fish for free, as part of their program to promote the state parks. This was a wonderful day experience for all of us, and the fishing was so much fun. If you want a safe place to park & play, facilities that include handicapped picnic/restroom areas, and some of the most beautiful beaches in Texas, you need to come back on down to Galveston and especially the Galveston Island State Park, I will return again and again, making memories with my kids of an Island, 1 hour from our home.

Visited March 2014