“Nice sandwiches, seafood dishes, good service”
Review of Bistro LeCroy - CLOSED

Bistro LeCroy
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We enjoyed a light lunch at Bistro LeCroy, just a few blocks from the much more frantically commercial Galveston Strand. The service was very friendly and helpful (giving us to-go refills of our iced tea, for instance) and the BLT, potato salad and shrimp salad were all quite good. It's a nice location, and not part of a chain.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Food was great! Fried tomatoes and shrimp and gumbo were delicious. We also had eggs Benedict, they were good but defiantly if you come to this place order their more Cajun options. The service is exceptional without being overbearing. We went on a Sunday at around 2 so it was fairly quiet.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed the food, service, and ambiance of this restaurant. I will return. Great crab crepes and Eggs Benedict. Mimosa's were good and the waiter was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My family and I come to Galveston at least 4 times a year to visit and each time; we try out a different restaurant on the island. I had such high hopes for this restaurant. Read all the reviews before my family and I decided to check them out while on Memorial Day Weekend visit to Galveston.

The staff was inattentive and the owner's overbearing and rude. You could hear the owner cussing out bill collectors on his cell phone from across the restaurant, which I thought was uncalled for in a restaurant that bills itself as a "family" establishment. The place stunk of cigarettes, though it is billed as a "no-smoking' restaurant.

The place was at least clean, but when my wife found a roach in her gumbo, all illusions of cleanliness were shattered.

Speaking of the gumbo, it was sub-par at best. Being originally from Louisiana, I know my gumbo, and what Bistro LeCroy serves is nothing more than a warmed over onion soup with cold shrimp and crab meat thrown in for good measure. You can tell by the taste that it is a prefabbed frozen concoction that they buy in bulk from some restaurant supplier and is not in fact home-made as they so profess when the waiter recommends the overpriced and over rated dish. There is no okra or gumbo file' in this whatsoever. It is not gumbo without those two most important ingredients
The salads that came with the dinners were not crisp and fresh as we were lead to believe.

The main courses were ok at best. My wife (though still disgusted by finding a roach in her gumbo) decided on the "so called" home-made Crawfish Etouffee. It came hot, but the, again you could tell it wasn't really home-made. The crawfish were small, pre-packaged frozen teasers that gave no real crawfish flavor to the dish whatsoever
My "Catfish" dinner was ok. Nothing special. Nothing new here really. Their corn-meal that coated the catfish with was too grainy and coarse and no flavor. I know my fish, and this was no catfish. The mashed potatoes were warmed over and dry and stale as though they've been sitting on a steam table all day. The gravy was too salty and no real flavor at all. The green beans were again, too salty and limp and soggy.

At the end of our meal, we had hope that maybe; just maybe the desserts could perhaps redeem the already total failure of this place to maybe a three star rating, but no. That too was a total bust. The cakes touted were indeed home-made, but by the flavor or the lack thereof, proved again, it was just a simple out of the box ready cake mix. No originality or effort went into what they billed as a great 'home-made' dessert.

In conclusion, I would be hard pressed to even recommend this place to my worst enemy. The previous reviews are obviously by their personal friends and family, because any right-minded individual who dined at this place would surly rate them as low as I have, if not worse. I know for sure, our next visit to Galveston will not be to Bistro LeCroy. Any self-respecting person from Louisiana would do well to avoid this so called 'South Louisiana Cuisine/Cajun/Creole' establishment. Because there is nothing Cajun, Creole' or even 'cuisine' in Bistro LeCroy.

1  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Waiter was great. Great personality. Service was very slow. Gumbo lacked much seafood, mostly roux; Oysters appeared to be frozen with batter. Batter separated when eating revealing small swiveled oysters and they were tough. Will not go back.

1  Thank Frances B