“Want to know how we get oil from the ocean?”

Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum
Galveston Island and Houston Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #5 of 103 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ocean Star is a retired jackup drilling rig that offers a fun, hands on way to learn about the offshore oil and gas industry in a comfortable and accessible facility. The museum features three floors of models, exhibits, equipment and interactive displays illustrating the story of offshore exploration and production. This self guided museum is open seven days a week and offers visitors the unique opportunity to board an actual offshore rig. While ticket sales halt at 4:00 PM, visitors can remain until the site closes at 5:00. Welcome Aboard!
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was always curious about what an oil rig was like. I also wondered how they get them out there and how safe they were. This is a great self guided tour. My wife and I both enjoyed the interactive displays and we spent over an hour going from deck to deck on the rig. I don't know that I would do it over and over again, but it was well worth doing once.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I enjoy learning, and this was a very informative place to go. I did go with a large group, which kind of made me feel rushed.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We wanted to visit a couple of museums while visiting Galveston and this was definitely worth the time and money. We got to see the pelicans while walking to the museum. It showed the different types of oil rigs and how they are used to get the oil from the ocean or gulf floor. It also showed how it takes a team for things to run smoothly and how the engineering of the rigs are so important to the industry and the environment. There are many great photo opportunities as well. We had a extra bonus while walking on the rigs deck to see the dolphins playing in the gulf below. Would highly recommend to visit while in Galveston. The gift shop employee also recommended a good local restaurant and preferred beach spots which were appreciated.

1  Thank Adriana M
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Excellent museum on oil drilling, the process, where and how etc. Lot of detailed info, a movie, lots of exhibits including scale models of rigs, ocean habitats re-creation of crew quarters and being able to walk out on an actual platform. Of course told from view point of oil industry but still very informative and considering how much we depend on oil something we all should know more about. Recommend for all ages - very detailed for those who like to read display boards, as well as the models and actual platform good for younger kids who need to see, touch and be able to move around!

1  Thank dj3
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We found this to be a very interesting museum. Since we're from the midwest, it helped us to understand how the offshore drilling works. All 6 of us, ages 15 to 68, enjoyed this learning experience.

1  Thank LINDA_RENEE