“Ok. But too pricy for what is provides”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Denver, Colorado
“Ok. But too pricy for what is provides”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I paid much less for Hotel Galvez right near in front of the pier. I stayed for a night prior to the cruise which ended up delayed due to the recent oil spill. The horel is really a motel. Room is spacious. Beds are comfortable. Very wet inside out due to the humidity. Hot breakfast. But I had a much more great night at Hotel Galvez for less price. No way this motel is worth 250.00 night.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The hotel is deceiving. Looks nice on the outside and in the lobby, but it was all a facade. The room had an ocean view with a balcony, but the windows were so dirty, you couldn't see out. The carpeting had stains and looked dingy, and the tub drained so slow that we had to wait at least ten minutes in between showers. The pool was inside, but not heated, and the hot tub was connected to the pool and looked like it was a dark green/grey water. There were two elevators, and one had such a horrific smell that you wanted to throw up when you entered it. We booked the room for two nights when we checked in not knowing how terrible the place was. After the first day, we checked out, and they charged us for both nights saying it was booked as a final reservation. I will never stay at a Country Inn and Suites again due to this one bad experience.

Room Tip: Become a Hilton Honors member and stay at any of their places.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
We are sorry for your inconvenience and your poor experience. Our hotel takes pride in providing both a quality product and quality service. Your experience is not our standard. Please contact me at the hotel directly to discuss your exoperience in further detail so we may resolve your issues. Thank you for your business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Due to the oil spill in Galveston I chose not to continue with a cruise and did some last minute bookings through third party websites. I ended up at one hotel the first night, previously reviewed, and it was great. My next two nights were at this one.

I arrived by taxi shortly after noon and with all my travel, was well aware that I was there before the check-in time. There were various front desk clerks that I met and did not get their names. This first one did not score high on the customer service aspect. She simply stated, "there are no rooms available right now." Normally in other hotels that would be followed by, "but we can store your luggage until one is ready." Not here---I had to probe to see if there was suitable storage available. There was and she lead me to a secure area and after some conversation she warmed up--just a little. Again, with other hotels, front desk staff usually offer up an approximate time of entry into a room, whether early or not so once more I had to follow-up. She mentioned one hour but I gave it two.

I came back just thirty minutes before the assigned check-in time and she looked at me and said that I would have to wait for a king bed or if I wanted, I could take two queens---finally some initiative! I took the two Queens and we proceeded with the check-in.

What I liked was that the hotel was non-smoking and as per the standard, I was required to initial the check-in form indicating that if I smoked there would be a $150 cleaning fee; no worries about that. However, she then proceeds to pull out a second one where I had to initial next to: failure to check out at 11am would mean an automatic billing of a new day; no unauthorized guests were allowed in my room (good thing I did not have friends at a different hotel); any damage would be charged to my credit card; if I parked a car they were not responsible for any damages and there might have been more. Of all the trips I have ever taken, this monster waiver was the first. At one point I spilled a little coffee on my desk in my room and used a facecloth to quickly wipe it---I honestly expect that within a few weeks I will get a cleaning bill for that.

One of the phones was not working in my room and it took three requests to get it fixed. The maintenance person was the exception: the sweetest and friendliest staff member there. Let's revisit the non-smoking policy again. All of my reviews state my strong dislike towards smoke as I have severe allergies and by later afternoon sure enough, they were acting up. It was seeping in under the door and through the bathroom vents. Off I went to report this to the front desk. To give her credit, she did investigate and told me that a guest was smoking on the balcony but with the super strong winds we were having this amount of smoke could not penetrate within the halls and rooms--it was inside. But by then, I let it pass and slept with the windows open and thankfully I was facing the ocean so I could get some fresh air through the little opening.

The room was modern, well cleaned, a nice large work desk, and two beds. There was a balcony and hot/cold breakfast was served in the morning. Another nice touch was the coffee that was available all day.

By the time I checked out, the staff seemed more pleasant but I had to wonder if they were in better moods or just happy to see me go! I was going to spend more time in Galveston until early afternoon but I decided to have my shuttle pick me up at 830 am and cut loose.

The location is very closer to the Pleasure Pier, the ocean right outside and plenty of food choices within walking distance and certainly driving distance.

Would I stay there again, no. It felt as if I was visiting an old grandmother listing tons of rules that I was not allowed to break. The previous hotel there left such a positive impression and I truly regretted moving once I came to this one.

Room Tip: Above floor 2 would be better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TorontoRobDT
Ahmedabad
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were here on spring break and , we had great fun over here. The staff in doubtly very friendly and good, the rooms very clean. Location is great.Its right cross the beach, so no issues of parking any where. We enjoyed going walking everywhere on beach . Morning breakfast was too good. In all it was very memorable trip with family.

Room Tip: try to get a room on higher floor.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a nice stay at Country Inn & Suites in Galveston TX this for the beginning of Spring Break. This hotel is Affordable, beds were very comfortable and it is conveniently located with-in walking distance of Pleasure Pier. The staff was cheerful and hospitable. Neena was very helpful when we first arrived and put us in a room with a Wonderful view. We ordered pizza one night and they delivered right to our door! I would recommend this hotel and plan on coming back this summer. Thanks!

Room Tip: Room 501 has a fun view of Pleasure Pier. Beautifully lit up at night.
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked one night here for us because we had a cruise to go on and we could keep our car in their parking lot for the week. Fog kept us from leaving on time, as a matter of fact we were delayed overnight and the hotel let us sit in their lobby all afternoon, was super friendly and very accomodating when we did end up having to book an additional overnight stay and decreased their fees some considering our loss of one day of our cruise vacation. The staff was outstanding to each and everyone, there were several groups that were here for the same reason. I would definately stay here again and again and again and would recommend everyone to stay here. The Pleasure Pier is within walking distance along with quite a few desireable restarants.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here for the location to Pleasure pier we were traveling with 3 children before we cruised. We found it to be clean, super friendly staff, great location, comfortable bed, nice r and just across the street from the beach. Breakfast included was nice.
Did have issue's one night with the renter in an adjoining room had to call the desk a couple of time to get them to quiet down. The indoor pool and pool area was nice the hot tub didn't look rite a lot of dirty foam and green colored water.

Room Tip: room 201 had super large beds. we had four rooms in our group this room was the only room that had t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
cisgalveston, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property I am disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.