“Road trip 2014”

Galveston's 61st Street Fishing Pier
Ranked #12 of 109 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family friendly fishing pier. We offer rod rentals, bait, cold drinks, sno cones, wine, cold beer, margaritas, snacks, pizza, hot dogs, gifts, and lots of fun. In addition to having a pier for fishing, we also have an observation deck for those who dont want to fish, but want to sit above the water and enjoy the cool breeze of the Gulf of Mexico.
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

You pay $10 per person for what. An incredibly rude, unwelcoming lady attendant. In addition the sea weed was so dense it was impossible to fish. Perhaps it would have been more "neighborly-like" to suggest today's not a good fishing day. TBH, since we have pulled into Texas, primarily this area, we have run into the rudest drivers and residents. Sad.

2  Thank miscmail
Austin K, Owner at Galveston's 61st Street Fishing Pier, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

It is disappointing to hear that your first experience at the pier was unpleasant. We strive to make sure that everyone has a good time out here. As far as the unwelcoming lady is concerned, I am not sure what happened, we will address this issue with the staff. There has been a lot of seaweed this year, we have never seen it this bad before. People have still been catching fish like crazy out on the pier as many of the bait fish stay near the patches of seaweed which, in turn, brings in the larger game fish. I make sure that we give an honest answer to anyone who asks how the fishing is that day. I hope you will give us another chance next time you are out our way. Ask for me, Austin, ill show you some good ol' Texas hospitality.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"ocean"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Thanks for the great memories! We really enjoyed fishing! This was the first time fishing in the ocean for my boy's so it was even more special! Will come again next time we are in the area! (according to my boy's it will be real soon) lol! They can't wait to try their hand at fishing off the pier again!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

In 2004 we bought a condo across the seawall from this pier. My four grandchildren and their friends grew up fishing on this pier. They would fish all night and be piled up all over the place in the morning. I treasure the memories I have from that time. There was no place in Texas my family had rather be.
If you want to have some good family time away from the typical "tourist" traps on the island take them to the pier. You will not be disappointed and neither will your pocketbook. And you never know what you might pull out of that ocean. Be sure and ask the staff if you don't know, in case it is a "hardhead". They are most helpful. We love and miss you, Mr. Lloyd.

3  Thank 139MARIE
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I can have a good time fishing anywhere regardless of what I catch, but this was just ridiculous. It was a Friday so I expected a crowd, but when I counted at the very least 75 poles on this little pier and at least another 50 people just watching on the pier I got a little irritated. Also there was a group of about 6 guys at the end of the pier that had well over 2 rods each, but they were friends with the guy working so he didn't care. They were the rudest people I have ever met and pretty much monopolized the whole pier. They were blaring Mexican rap music and every time they hooked a fish, which was every 5 min, they would have everybody around them reel their lines in. So needless to say nobody else could even fish. They got tangled with my line while reeling in one of their fish and when I asked them to get my line untangled because it was a rented pole they just cut my line and left theirs alone. Then the staff tried to charge me 2.50 for a broke line... That was the last straw. I will never go back under any circumstance and strongly urge anyone who reads this to try another pier. 42 dollars for 2 rods and bait and it was the worst experience ever. Needs to be some major changes, it's obviously all about the money to these people.

11  Thank Ryan C

I am sorry that your experience on the pier did not go as you expected. We do tend to get pretty busy on the weekends during the summer. When it starts to get really crowded we let people take a look and decide if they want to stay or not. There is not much we can do about the customers that you encountered, but we go out and check the pier from time to time for extra rods, glass containers, etc and generally everyone is following the rules. After speaking with the staff about the night that you were there they told me that there was a pretty bad current and many people's lines got tangled and had to be cut to sort it all out. We have a new night guy who wanted to charge you for your replacement rig when he shouldn't have since your line was cut. I apologize for that, he has been corrected. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you a good time out on the pier.