“Reaches everywhere! Disgusting”
Review of Super 8 Galveston

Super 8 Galveston
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked my room on September 12th and when I walked in the room had a musky pee smell, the carpet was moist and the mini fridge didn't work. It was not the most terrible place at that point though, not until later. I came back to the room after going to the store and found a roach on my bag...great. The pool is disgusting and smells of rotten fish, its murky water was very scary...also the shed beside it is falling apart and chunks of it are in the pool. The spa does not exist, it was covered up with a gazebo...I guess they were tired of "cleaning" it. I was watching tv in bed when I saw a huge roach run down the wall near my head board. I was freaked out...later that night I pulled the covers back to find reaches under the covers. This has been the most disgusting place I have EVER been to. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We will not be staying at this hotel EVER again. There was a withered pepperoni under the edge of the bed. The pillow cases had make-up face smears all over them. The bathroom was funky and the ceiling was covered in mold from a previous water leak. The carpet was dethatching from the tile floor and had rusty nails protruding from under the tack board. The icing on the cake, they sent maintenance down to open our door because the room key wouldn’t work, maintenance brought down a crow bar and busted into the door. The only good thing I can say about the place is when I went to the office crying they let me out of our two day contract and refunded $50 of $153 that I paid to stay the first night.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Brandy W
Reviewed 26 August 2011

really great place they always gave us clean towels and it was quiet, they always had breakfast at 6 to 9 a.m, we reserved our room one week early and we got a good price compared to if you dont reserve, we also got a discount from sam's club and the hotel was near some restaurants and Sea wall, the rooms were left clean when we got there and it was overall a good hotel, it also has a outdoor pool and the beds were comfortable and the beds were clean compared to other hotels we have visited, including from giving us new towels they also change the sheets every day when you need them to.Also they have lawndry room and ice maker machine outside, inside of our room had refrigerator microwave tv coffemaker hair dryer (which it didnt work).But i had my own :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I read a bunch of bad reviews of this location. However, what do you expect. Super 8 is an affordable family friendly place. We got in Saturday evening, you have to go through a Waffle House parking lot to get there (it's in the middle of the block).

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice and cold. It was a short walk to the beach and we all had a great time. We were right across from the pool and kids spent the evening there.

On the bad side my wife didn't like finding hair on the wall of the shower/bathtub. But, other than that, was a good value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sindar001
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I've been travelling around the USA for the past 2 months so I've seen my share of hotels (23 and counting), but I say with confidence that the Super 8 in Galveston has been my worst experience so far.

The staff are ok, I've certainly had friendlier service before, they're more functional than welcoming. But let's get onto the room, one word for you - DAMP. Everything in the room is damp and clammy - the carpet, the bedsheets - and everything you bring into the room soon becomes damp and clammy also. Even receipts I had lying around quickly became soggy. Not to mention the bathroom floor which never dries, it's permanently wet and grimy. The walls are not clean. I saw at least one cockroach scuttling around, hardly surprising with the living conditions I have just described. For $95 per night, I expected much MUCH better.

I also had two items of clothing stolen straight from the laundry room. The staff were unable to help, I got them to fill out a report, it's highly unlikely my clothes will turn up anywhere. I don't know if it was foolish on my part to leave my washing unattended, but I really didn't expect (presumably) one of the other guests to go rummaging through my laundry and take whatever they fancied. This has never happened in any of the other hotels I've stayed at.

Needless to say, I wouldn't stay here again. Not recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Davido099
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This is our families first overnight stay at Galveston, Texas. I had picked this hotel because it had the best pricing at the time and I had found a coupon code online to use with it. Total price with everything including taxes was $83.00. One thing I think you should know is that if you want to cancel, you have to do it 3 days in advanced. Also this company charges your credit card BEFORE you ever get to the hotel. On the website it says that it won't be charged until the end of your stay, but when I called the hotel, they informed me that it would be the morning of. When we got here ( yes, I'm typing this from the hotel!) It was kinda hard to figure out how to get in the parking lot. You have to go though the Waffle House parking lot or the road next to the Golden Corral. They let use check in early, normal check in time is 4pm we got in at 2pm. The front staff was very nice. Our room was nice and looked clean. We didn't have a remote, and it took about two hours to get one, only because of miscommunication. Once I called down and didn't try to go though the housekeeper (wasn't her fault, she didn't understand what I was saying I don't think.) the front desk lady brought us one. The bathtub part of the shower didn't work, it was interesting trying to give a two year old a shower. The toilet didn't like to flush either, we had to flush it several times. The pool looked extremely small compared to the rest of the pools around, but it was nice. There is a bench in the water down one side of the pool, that was nice for my little one! He really enjoyed playing on it. We had pizza delievered from a place on the back of their directory in the room. It was called Papa's Gormet Pizza and Subs. We ordered a "XL Meat Only Gourmet" pizza It was one of the best pizzas I've ever had! The beds were a little bit harder than I'm used to, but they were ok, I have slept on beds worse than these! The breakfast was bagels, blueberry muffins, toast, cereal, and juice. There is a Waffle House if you want a better breakfast. Check out is at 11am. When I asked for a late check out, last night, they said it would be until 11:30am, this morning when I asked for it, it was until 12pm. Not sure if it just depends on whos at the desk or what. I like only being a block from the beach! If I didn't have a 2 year old, I'd feel comfortable to walk there from the hotel. Over all, we did have a few minor issues, but I'd stay here again. I felt safe in this location and it worked for our family. Also everyone else during this time is spending over $140 a night, and we got this for a little over half of that.

Room Tip: search for coupon codes.