“Not great, not bad...”

Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Norman, Oklahoma
“Not great, not bad...”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed here for a week in room 222 (smoking room). My friend in 215 (nonsmoking).

Room 222 is roomy with a separate area with a couch. Room 215 had table and chairs.

The bed is very firm (no bed bugs) and the 3 pillows range from hard to soft. There is a hair dryer, coffee maker, alarm clock, microwave, fridge and the air conditioner worked great.

PROS: The room was very quiet, couldn’t hear the neighbors or much outside noise.

Shower was hot and had different shower head settings.

Fighting (drunk) neighbors were responded to quickly by hotel and police. (I'm not complaning - turned out to interesting Saturday night and the cop was cute as hell)

Other guests were friendly and helpful. Some staff (Latoya) were nice - no hassle about wanting more towels.

Lots of power plugs and storage space. Tiled entry made for less track in of sand. Black out curtains worked well if tucked up on to window sill (blown by air conditioner if not tucked).

Deadbolt and security bar on door.

Beach is a three minute walk away. (From hotel to beach)

CONS: There is NO ocean view.

The shower wall had not been cleaned in a while - shaving cream from previous guest(s) was still there. Did get black feet after walking on carpet. Mirror was really streaky. Lighting in bathroom pretty dim. (Rest of the room seemed clean - counter tops, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, tables, bed smelled good)

Counted 4 roaches during my stay - though to be fair - I saw just as many during my stay at the Hilton 2 weeks before hand.

There was only one washer, dryer and ice machine (take your bucket and fill upon your return in the evenings) all on the first floor, in the back. (Which can be a pain if you're in the front part of the hotel)

MISC: The pool is small, but nice enough to lounge in - the security light is really irritating though - blinks on and off, blinding you when you least expect it. There wasn't a fitness area.

The WIFI worked well enough - though I don't think it would be good enough for anyone needing high speed. The phone didn't work in my room - I think you have to pay $10 fee for it to be turned on?

Snack and coke machine had fresh stock. There is soap, shampoo and condtioner supplied in room. They sell little boxes of laundry soap and fabric softener in lobby for $1.25 each. Washer and dryer is $1.50 each - the dryer works well and runs for like an hour, got a thick beach towel dry in about 20 minutes?

You have to swing around in a parking lot down the street to get back to the hotel (no U turns allowed on this street) - though this isn’t Super 8's fault, but the city. Careful pulling out into traffic on 61st St. - there is a big palm tree blocking the view. (I used the Baymont Inn's parking lot more often because of this)

Many restaurants (Waffle House, Chinese Buffet, McDonalds, Golden Corral (Wendy is the best waitress) and stores (Walmart, Gift shops, pharmacies) very close by. Surfboard rental down about 2 blocks or so.

Certain beaches are $8 - though off season this seems to only apply on weekends. Monday - Friday I didn't pay anything. (No signs mention this - couldn't see any body to take money, so I just drove onto the beach waiting for some beach police to come collecting). Pay meters on the Strand - would have been nice to know. Constantly felt like I was breaking the law, not knowing when fees did and didn't apply.

And everything is expensive - Galveston will nickle and dime you to death. What normally costs $1 at home will cost you $3 there.

Room Tip: The hotel is behind the Waffle House making it difficult to see from the road. Top floor rooms seem...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This Hotel was an unexspected stay because Holidau Inn Express was booked up. We tried to make the best of it. Rooms were dirty and the Hotel clerk was less than personable. Though close to the beach, it was a total washout. I can handle old and outdated decor...but lack of cleanliness and friendlyness is unexceptable, We had to switch hotels to Quality Inn across the street that was totally friendly clean and updated like the Holiday Inn Express on 86th and Seawall.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked my room on September 12th and when I walked in the room had a musky pee smell, the carpet was moist and the mini fridge didn't work. It was not the most terrible place at that point though, not until later. I came back to the room after going to the store and found a roach on my bag...great. The pool is disgusting and smells of rotten fish, its murky water was very scary...also the shed beside it is falling apart and chunks of it are in the pool. The spa does not exist, it was covered up with a gazebo...I guess they were tired of "cleaning" it. I was watching tv in bed when I saw a huge roach run down the wall near my head board. I was freaked out...later that night I pulled the covers back to find reaches under the covers. This has been the most disgusting place I have EVER been to. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Stayed September 2011
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We will not be staying at this hotel EVER again. There was a withered pepperoni under the edge of the bed. The pillow cases had make-up face smears all over them. The bathroom was funky and the ceiling was covered in mold from a previous water leak. The carpet was dethatching from the tile floor and had rusty nails protruding from under the tack board. The icing on the cake, they sent maintenance down to open our door because the room key wouldn’t work, maintenance brought down a crow bar and busted into the door. The only good thing I can say about the place is when I went to the office crying they let me out of our two day contract and refunded $50 of $153 that I paid to stay the first night.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Brandy W
dallas
Reviewed 26 August 2011

really great place they always gave us clean towels and it was quiet, they always had breakfast at 6 to 9 a.m, we reserved our room one week early and we got a good price compared to if you dont reserve, we also got a discount from sam's club and the hotel was near some restaurants and Sea wall, the rooms were left clean when we got there and it was overall a good hotel, it also has a outdoor pool and the beds were comfortable and the beds were clean compared to other hotels we have visited, including from giving us new towels they also change the sheets every day when you need them to.Also they have lawndry room and ice maker machine outside, inside of our room had refrigerator microwave tv coffemaker hair dryer (which it didnt work).But i had my own :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I read a bunch of bad reviews of this location. However, what do you expect. Super 8 is an affordable family friendly place. We got in Saturday evening, you have to go through a Waffle House parking lot to get there (it's in the middle of the block).

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice and cold. It was a short walk to the beach and we all had a great time. We were right across from the pool and kids spent the evening there.

On the bad side my wife didn't like finding hair on the wall of the shower/bathtub. But, other than that, was a good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sindar001
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I've been travelling around the USA for the past 2 months so I've seen my share of hotels (23 and counting), but I say with confidence that the Super 8 in Galveston has been my worst experience so far.

The staff are ok, I've certainly had friendlier service before, they're more functional than welcoming. But let's get onto the room, one word for you - DAMP. Everything in the room is damp and clammy - the carpet, the bedsheets - and everything you bring into the room soon becomes damp and clammy also. Even receipts I had lying around quickly became soggy. Not to mention the bathroom floor which never dries, it's permanently wet and grimy. The walls are not clean. I saw at least one cockroach scuttling around, hardly surprising with the living conditions I have just described. For $95 per night, I expected much MUCH better.

I also had two items of clothing stolen straight from the laundry room. The staff were unable to help, I got them to fill out a report, it's highly unlikely my clothes will turn up anywhere. I don't know if it was foolish on my part to leave my washing unattended, but I really didn't expect (presumably) one of the other guests to go rummaging through my laundry and take whatever they fancied. This has never happened in any of the other hotels I've stayed at.

Needless to say, I wouldn't stay here again. Not recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo