“Feb 2008”

Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Lewisville
“Feb 2008”
Reviewed 5 March 2008

We stayed at the hotel with three small children. The location is convient to I-45. Not close to the ocean, but nice considering its not on the seawall. The employees were very nice, and even offered me milk for our baby. The accomodations worked for what we needed. The room was clean. The motel is near three different gas stations which is nice if you need anything last minute. I didn't appreciate the train's wistle blowing at 2:00 am, but you get what you pay for. Other than the noise from the gas station and the train, all was good. Keep in mind we enjoyed the peace and quiet (other than the above stated) but it was off season.

• Liked — Price range fit our budget
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank firemama650

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Louisiana
Reviewed 28 November 2006

My husband and I booked the Howard Johnson Express for the Saturday night of the first weekend in November at a rate of $99.99. I called back the next day and added the Friday night at a quoted rate of $79.99. We arrived late Friday and I did not realize until check out that I was charged $99.99 for both nights. The desk clerk on duty called the manager at home and handed me the phone upon which he proceeded to tell me that he never did quote me the $79.99 rate. I had it written down in two separate places and I explained to him that I would never have misunderstood him. It was not the $20 that made me upset, but the principle. He went on the say that the $99 rate was a cheaper rate due to the fact that we stayed for 2 nights. I promptly reminded him that I originally was only staying for the Sat night and had been given that rate from the very beginning. He would not back down from the $99 per night which was already charged to me. I called Howard Johnson's corporate # the day after we returned home and was told that they would contact the hotel and that someone would be back in touch with me within 7 days. It has been over 3 weeks and I did not receive a call from anyone so I called the corporate # again today only to be told AGAIN that they would look into it and someone would contact me shortly. I do not recommend this hotel and not just because of the overcharging - it is not in a very good location, bad parking situation, train track apparently to the rear of property so noise wakes you up early, ice machine not working, and basically no amenities. If you just want a bed to sleep in, then this may be for you, but be careful of the price you are quoted vs what you are actually charged.

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank mothertotwins

Travellers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Reviewed 14 June 2006

Terrible experience from start to finish. At check in all I asked was for them to mail a stamped letter I handed them. It was handed back stating they did not want to be responsible for it. I explained even the worst motels would at least accept guests mail. They stood their ground and simply gave me directions to a post office. We actually did not mind the ditch full of water and the train tracks directly behind the rooms. My son had fun watching the water birds and trains go by. Now towels. You will get one towel. My wife explained she had long hair, families visit the beach, wash up, go back out, etc. and that we needed more towels. She got one extra each of our two days only after begging, having our info checked on the hotel computer, and an "uh huh" from the people behind the desk. Went through the same thing with getting an extra little bottle of shampoo on the second day. The two people behind the desk on check in day and the next day were very unhelpful and just plain not nice. Different person on the day we checked out at least had a smile. Cheap for galveston, but it is because of the location. Situated between a Truck stop and Train Tracks. As far from the beaches as you can be. We knew that going in, bu my complaint is the unfriendly and unhelpful operators, our tub was stopped up, and the room smelled like the swamp that is across the railroad tracks outside the back windows of the rooms. We found a better place on the Island to stay for the rest of the week!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 August 2005

My fiance and I went to Galveston without making reservations first....BIG MISTAKE...we had to search for hours for a hotel that wasn't booked. So needless to say, we didn't pick this one. The room was clean but had an odor. We had to burn candles and spray air freshner the entire time. The price was a little high for what it was. There is not a pool and its not even close to the seawall. Guess it would be ok for someone just passing through but not for a vacation!

Stayed July 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 July 2004

Stayed here at the end of June, 2004. Management very nice. Large room very clean with tile entry and bath and with extras...iron,coffee maker, safe. Close to Texas A & M @ Galveston and the highway.Very reasonable $45 and quite.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2004

Usually when I stay is Galveston I want to be as close to the beach as possible. This time however I needed quick access to I45 because the main feature was an Astros game in Houston and I did not want to stay in Houston.
The staff was friendly upon arrival. The room was large and clean with more than the basic amenities, ie., blow dryer, safe, coffe maker, etc. The location was unique. Some may not like the fact that one it is not on the beach or in the immediate vacinity. If you are a wildilfe lover you might enjoy the canal/ marsh (room view) on the other side of the 'railroad tracks'. Having said this, the rooms really are soundproofed so that you do not hear the train. The marsh is an eco delight with an abundance of unique island wildlife and the sounds there of.
Overall at $48.00 dollars the room's cleanliness and size made it a good value. Good management.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member