“Probably won't be back”

Inn at the Waterpark
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Cosmetically, this hotel is in sad shape. Needs updating, fresh paint, clean carpet, some trim replaced, and the towel rack in our bathroom kept falling off the wall. The beds were ok but not spectacular as far as comfort goes, but when you're tired from the beach I guess you'll sleep anywhere. We had to call maintenance as soon as we checked in because the fridge in our room didn't work, and it took FOUR refrigerators before we got one that actually cooled off. The maintenance guy was nice enough to find a 5th fridge as well and left two in our room. Our a/c also seemed to have a hard time keeping up with cooling demands so it was never quite perfectly cool in our room. Even the shower head wasn't functioning completely perfectly, and I was annoyed at the lack of a bathtub. My daughter is 4 - she doesn't take showers, but she had to figure it out during our stay.

We were in the "newer" building off the main building. Parking was somewhat difficult under the building we were staying in - the beams holding the building up were always in the way. Perhaps the parking spaces are too arrow? We had two small compact cars and at times we couldn't open the doors because of the beams depending on which spot we got stuck parking in. I can't imagine squeezing a large SUV in them. The elevator lobby was like a sauna - no air, and the elevators were both extremely slow and hot. I only used them once and walked up and down the stairs the rest of the stay. Speaking of, there needs to be a bench for smokers to use because people kept sitting in the way on the stairwell to smoke.

Housekeeping was less than impressive. On our second day after our room was cleaned we were left 2 bathmats, 1 hand towel, and three washcloths. NO TOWELS. She took all of our dirty towels and didn't leave us any, so we had to call the front desk to have some brought up. On our 4th day there, the housekeeping lady left our room unlocked (the metal bar was left over the door to keep it from latching) and when we got back from the day my little brother just walked right in. Praise God nothing was taken, but still. Really?

This is not a quite place to stay. The rooms doe not have adequate sound barrier, so we were very aware every time the man across the hall yelled as his kids and every single morning at 8 am what sounded like 16 children began running circles above our heads. If anyone ran down the hallway, it sounded like they were running bulls. Not a quiet stay.

The breakfast each day was pretty much a joke so I'm glad we had brought our own food. Not much offered and what was out looked questionable. The orange juice was more water than juice. I did eat a banana from there, but that was all.

The miniature golf course is in terrible shape. Half of the decorations were broken or missing, the astro turf was pulling up on almost every hole, and the rubber tee mats were all chewed up and some of them wouldn't even hold your ball. The clubs were just sitting out in a trash can at the first hole, which was holding several inches of rainwater so the clubs were all wet.

The swimming pool ranges from 3' to 5', so if you have a little one they only have a very small step area to play on where they can actually touch.

The area is nice enough and if you are spending lots of time in Schlitterbahn or Moody Gardens, they are both withing walking distance. The room was spacious, but overall I was less than impressed with this hotel.

2  Thank Brandi K

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Hotel was pretty decent, kinda old but was all that was available for a decent price for the 4th of july. Hotel room was clean, beds were small i think they were full size not even queen. The pool was ok. Lobby was out dated. Brekfeast area is super small not sure if the 4th of july had to do anything about that but not enough seating. Other than that stay was ok. These are not ocean view rooms nor any good views. Hotel mianly good for water park next door. Kinda far from swimming area and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This motel is ok. The room was iffy, based on the rate. The door appeared to have been forced open, before. It seems to be the victim of complacency, from the owners. The a/c unit was noisy. It could really use a facelift and fresh paint. The breakfast was decent, with a lot of fresh fruit, cereals and juices.

Room Tip: Consider somewhere else.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I stayed here on a recommendation from a family member. After confirming on the bed bug registry that it had no issues, we went ahead and booked. The staff was so accommodating, we were able to check in early (so thankful) and settled in. The room was great. Looked a little like an older, updated beach hotel but very spacious. I will say the wi-fi in the room was atrocious - had to sit by the door in order to get any bars - but that didn't hinder our stay. What did however were the uncomfortable beds. Felt like we were sleeping on a bunch of springs. So rough first night. Our second night was better but I think it was because we were so tired. Our second night also brought a squatter in the form of a little lizard the size of my pinky in the room upon our return. If my 11 year old hadn't noticed it scurry when we came in we wouldn't have known, it was that small. I managed to get two of the glasses and scoop it up to take it downstairs and release it outside. No harm no foul and we all chuckled about it once I caught it.
We didn't take advantage of the breakfast so I couldn't report on that. We only experienced the room we were put in. It does have charm and I would definitely stay there again if the bed was different for a more comfortable sleep. It's a lot of money to hand over for a restless night.

Room Tip: I didn't care for the beds but maybe some of the units have been updated and have softer mattres...
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Bought our room on Groupon, was good value. Didn't have a great view, and the maid came too early, then never came back to clean, but I got new towels from her, so we didn't mind much. Parking was easy under the hotel, however there are large poles that took up parking spaces and were in the way. (but it was underneath the hotel, soo) We went to Moody gardens which is right next door, so nice that it was close. The Gulf side beaches were just a few blocks away, and nothing was more than 10-15 min drive. Staff at front deak VERY easy to get along with.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had stayed here before and had very few issues. This time was issue after issue, problem after problem, and there was no concern. First of all, we weren't given towels after housekeeping came--ZERO towels. We called. We went to the lobby. We called again. We went down to the lobby. Finally, 3 HOURS LATER and furious after all the futile attempts I went down there and waited another 15 minutes for towels to be delivered. Management did apologize, but it was too little too late. Next huge issue was we were to take the 10 am shuttle to a cruise. Seeing no bus at 10:05, we inquired as to where the shuttle was only to be told that it had been sent away as no one had signed up. I insisted that we had, made them pull out the sign up sheet where they had signed us up LAST NIGHT. No apology, no "how can I fix this for you?", there was no concern until we asked them "so you're going to call them back here?" So we've put away my grandmother's oxygen so we were ready, we have all our luggage down there ready, and now we have to sit and bake because they are so mismanaged and incompetent. Finally, half an hour later, we finally got a shuttle. Lastly, we ran out of toilet paper in our room. Seriously, one roll for 4 people? I'm sorry but no hotel has ever been this incapable of running smoothly and this incompetent as a whole. The price may save you some initial $$ but you'll end up paying it to try and lower your blood pressure. I highly advise staying elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was loud, that's the first thing I noticed. But I guess that comes with the territory. Some parents let their children run around and s ream outside other people's rooms at 10pm. The bathroom was quite dated, and the tub doesn't drain. I took a 10min shower and the tub was filled up about half the way. Beds were comfortable, we slept just fine and we have a memory foam mattress at home. They definitely need better channels on the TV though. We came from a horrible motel a few days earlier that had NFL Network yet this place had no channels that played any of the games, not even the Cowboys game that was televised everywhere else was on. Location was good though. It's real close to the waterpark and moody gardens. Also close enough to the beach, but not so close that you can smell the terrible rotting seaweed.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple