“Expensive But Enjoyable”
Review of Stewart Beach

Stewart Beach
Ranked #23 of 105 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Owner description: Families are the focus at this popular, amenities-rich beach park, where volleyball, sandcastle competitions, concerts and other family-oriented activities are the norm all summer long.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We spent the day at this beach. It got pricey. We paid $30 for an umbrella and two chairs for the day, $8 to park, $4 per sno cone, $30 for lunch, and $5 to rent a board. The beach itself was only OK. The sand was hard, but it was clean. The water was warm and the waves were just right for children. There was some seaweed around, but not as much as I feared after reading other reviews here.

8  Thank John S

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Day two in Galveston took us to Stewart Beach. It was busy that Tuesday afternoon. $8 to park and walk less than 50 yards to the water. Nice and clean sandy beachfront area was totally inviting. We didn't breakout the pop-up here either as the rules only allow the tents near the parking area (just beyond the parking poles), but it was a nice day and we really didn't need it. Area was nearly void of sorghum (seaweed), though it was piled up nearby, but not an issue. We had a great time in the water after a quick exit upon first entrance due to approaching weather. But once that passed, it was all good. Recommend Stewart Beach over East Beach any day.

2  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Today, my family of about 25 were ending our vacation and wanted to do some classic beach pictures. It literally took us 30 mins to snap the 100s of pictures we wanted. We were on our way out of town so we had a 7 car caravan. The staff was rude when we asked it paying for entry was necessary since we would be there for 30 minutes. We ended up having to pay $8 per car (x7=$56) for 30 mins of parking.

Then one of our 7 cars broke down before we could leave. We needed to run to the auto parts store to fix it, but the staff said if we left, we would have to repay to enter. NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. This was aggravating. S*** happens. We couldn't help our vehicle broke down on their beach. So we had to do a silly thing where one car went to get the supplies and another car sat at the gate entrance and they literally walked to supplies across the pay gate and handed it to the other person. Ridiculous and inconsiderate. I understand policies are policies, but a kind explanation would have been nicer than the rude remarks we got every time. The beach was decent this time. The seaweed wasn't as bad as the whole trip. So that's the only thing thy saved this rating a little bit.

3  Thank kkimbrel
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The staff here is incredibly rude. You are not allowed to set up your own shade anywhere in the property - they make you pay for their umbrellas. Everything costs money here. A better bet is to find a spot along the seawall where you can take your own canopy, umbrella, etc. I really think that the manager over there is on something - grinding teeth, jumpy mannerisms. Never again!!!

4  Thank blondi1517
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My son and I visited in March on our annual spring break trip and the beach was clean, the water reasonably clear and the shore line was clear of trash and seaweed. It was a fun visit. There is a charge to park and there is not in/out so make sure you have everything with you. Lots of young families when we went in March. We spent an enjoyable couple of hours.

Fast forward to June. Piles and piles and piles of stinky sea weed everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE. The water was murky at best and filthy at worst. And was like that all along the shore line. Even the beach areas along Seawall Blvd. I didn't want to let my son get in the water because it looked very dirty. There were vendors all along the beach renting umbrellas and beach chairs but we didn't stay that long because of the way the water looked and smelled. I have never seen a bathroom the times we have visited.

I was very disappointed with this visit. Nothing like the Padre Island Beaches.

3  Thank ethansmom06