“Overpriced...Low Key Server”
Review of Gaido's

Gaido's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaido's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 314 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street
Description: The toast of the Texas coast. How can frozen fish be called fresh? The answer for anyone with snap is simple: it can't. That's why Gaido's is the classic choice for fresh Gulf seafood. Patrons know Gaido's is real, when others are clearly not. From red snapper and blue crab to white tablecloths crumbed with panache, there's no denying Gaido's is one-of-a-kind in a world of imitation. Now, after four generations of filleting, frying, grilling and baking, Gaido's has grown into the picture perfect place of traditions- birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, reunions. As the largest fresh fish house on the coast, Gaido's can serve up to 2,500 happy diners a day. -- for over 100 years - is truly the coastal classic.
Tomball, TX
“Overpriced...Low Key Server”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I usually eat at Gaido's out of habit. Been a couple of years since I have been in Galveston. Food is usually good and reliable.....I was disappointed that going mid afternoon there was no lunch menu...I sat at the "bar"...my server never smiled but he was actually very nice and started being somewhat talkative.....no big complaint there really. I ordered the $15 artichoke/lump crab dip for $15...good, but the 3 cheeses made it a bit "greasy"...I ate the entire thing because very hungry...ordered a tall Crown/7-up....for $8.....bottom line...you are paying for a 100 year name..afterwards went down the street for happy hour and that menu was less expensive and the food looked great...sorry I went to the "established" and my habitual place. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't terrible, but next visit I'll probably go for another venue as spreading your wings and trying different places might create new "habits".

The Deep South
“Old School Dining Experience”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

If you like the good old days, try this place. Waiters and waitresses formal and in black and white outfits, old fashioned decor, and a menu that my grandparents would have liked. There's no fancy food preparation, just grilled seafood and some heavy sauces, if that's your jam. The history of the place is interesting. You can learn about it through photos and artifacts in the place. Our service was a bit slow, which surprised me on a Tuesday night. The white wine I wanted ($8 per glass) wasn't available so I ended up having to get one that was quite a bit more expensive. The fish was fine, served with either parmesan tomatoes or asparagus (my husband and I got one of each - fine but nothing special). Overall, I don't think I would recommend this place for the food, but the experience of a place that has been operating since 1911 is kind of interesting.

Newark, NJ
“Good stuff”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was there with a wedding group & menu selection was limited so my review might be different than it would be if i had full menu access (& price)

Salad. it was good
I had the salmon. It was very good.
I had dessert... multiple deserts.. they were fantastic!!

Visited May 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
“Fabulously fresh fish”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our first visit, we were very pleased. Interesting menu in that if you're ordering a fish of the day, you then choose from two lists: preparation style and "toppings" (A+ for creativity).
Wanting to sample them all, our waiter easily guided us on the best pairings.

The home-made bread was fluffy and oh so fresh and we very much enjoyed the herb and olive oil accompaniment .

The prices were a little steep for our budget for lunch but the quality made up for our extravagance!

• Visited May 2014
Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Five Generations”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My family has been eating at Gaido's for five generations. We will be back this weekend for my husband's birthday and I will let you know if it is as good as it was the last time we were there - about 3 years ago. This has always been the BEST seafood in the U.S.

More to come