“Good seafood but slow service”
Review of Gaido's

Gaido's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaido's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 311 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street
Description: The toast of the Texas coast. How can frozen fish be called fresh? The answer for anyone with snap is simple: it can't. That's why Gaido's is the classic choice for fresh Gulf seafood. Patrons know Gaido's is real, when others are clearly not. From red snapper and blue crab to white tablecloths crumbed with panache, there's no denying Gaido's is one-of-a-kind in a world of imitation. Now, after four generations of filleting, frying, grilling and baking, Gaido's has grown into the picture perfect place of traditions- birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, reunions. As the largest fresh fish house on the coast, Gaido's can serve up to 2,500 happy diners a day. -- for over 100 years - is truly the coastal classic.
Turin, Italy
“Good seafood but slow service”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went to Gaido with our 2 kids, which are always unquiet when they are with us. So we appreciate when we don't have to wait for a long time, and for this reason we reserved a table. We arrived in due time and the maitre found our reservation but asked us to wait. After 20 minutes waiting we realized that they just forgot we were there, so we asked again and they immediately gave us a table. We ordered drinks but it took a long time before getting anything. I got my beer at 45 minutes after the time of our reservation. The food (received nearly one hour after reservation time) was good and well cooked, though not as delicious as we expected, and the atmosphere was pleasant. One of the best seafood restaurants in Galveston, but you must be resigned to wait.

Visited June 2014

Houston, Texas
“My Newest Trip to Gaido's”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am a native Houstonian and I've been going to Gaido's since I was a child from time to time. Yesterday was a friend's Birthday so we decided to head down for a nice lunch,
The atmosphere was the same and nice. We went a little after 1pm so getting a table was not difficult. We were greeted by a friendly smile and quickly sent to a lovely table by the window.

The waitstaff were a marvel in service. The professionalism was perfect.
Our waitress was Salinda and she was both informative and friendly. We felt like we have come back in time to when restaurants were a specialty.
We were also helped by a young woman names Lyuda from the Ukraine. She made sure that things went well assisting Salinda.
It is the waitstaff and wonderful food worth paying for.

The meal was wonderful! We started with salads that were dressed just right. My friend had a steak with asparagus and I went with the grilled seafood plate. They were cooked to perfection. We are never displeased with the food here.

I wish we would have saved room for dessert but what we had was just perfect. My friend remarked that he remembered coming here for special occasions with his family growing up. He was not disappointed on this trip as some are when they go to someplace they remembered better.

I will always bring my friends here to enjoy the ambiance and food.

Colleyville, Texas
“Always awesome”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Met a friend at Gaidos for dinner on a Saturday night. Our waiter was Justin. He was new. Didn't even matter. Our evening was perfect. The food was awesome. I always love visiting this place for a meal. It is a must.

Visited June 2014
Tomball, TX
“Overpriced...Low Key Server”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I usually eat at Gaido's out of habit. Been a couple of years since I have been in Galveston. Food is usually good and reliable.....I was disappointed that going mid afternoon there was no lunch menu...I sat at the "bar"...my server never smiled but he was actually very nice and started being somewhat talkative.....no big complaint there really. I ordered the $15 artichoke/lump crab dip for $15...good, but the 3 cheeses made it a bit "greasy"...I ate the entire thing because very hungry...ordered a tall Crown/7-up....for $8.....bottom line...you are paying for a 100 year name..afterwards went down the street for happy hour and that menu was less expensive and the food looked great...sorry I went to the "established" and my habitual place. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't terrible, but next visit I'll probably go for another venue as spreading your wings and trying different places might create new "habits".

The Deep South
“Old School Dining Experience”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

If you like the good old days, try this place. Waiters and waitresses formal and in black and white outfits, old fashioned decor, and a menu that my grandparents would have liked. There's no fancy food preparation, just grilled seafood and some heavy sauces, if that's your jam. The history of the place is interesting. You can learn about it through photos and artifacts in the place. Our service was a bit slow, which surprised me on a Tuesday night. The white wine I wanted ($8 per glass) wasn't available so I ended up having to get one that was quite a bit more expensive. The fish was fine, served with either parmesan tomatoes or asparagus (my husband and I got one of each - fine but nothing special). Overall, I don't think I would recommend this place for the food, but the experience of a place that has been operating since 1911 is kind of interesting.