“Fun Experience”

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Get your money's worth with a wrist band. Go in the evening so you can experience it both in daylight and at night. Incredible views. Limited ride choices, but enough to keep the kids happy. It's a very entertaining venue for families.

1  Thank acemom98
There are newer reviews for Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The picture my title is trying to paint is that the pier with the amusement park is the one clean, orderly, well maintained location on Galveston Island we stumbled upon. Sure, there may be more, but that's a pretty unsure "may be". Go ahead and look, if you think its worth your time, but if you do find yourself in Galveston (by accident I can only imagine, because I can't understand why anyone would ever intentionally go there) and you have kids then the pier is definitely worth a visit. For a family of four it's going to cost a little over a hundred dollars to go to the pier and ride all the rides, and if you want food and souvenirs then plan on spending another hundred as well. The log ride is fun but wet, the roller coaster is thrilling, the Ferris Wheel is great for a view, the swings take you way high up, and the rest of the rides are your run of the mill fair sort. All in all, it was the only fun thing worth doing in a not at all fun city.

1  Thank Frazier S
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I want to rate it lower, but the kids did have a little fun. It is too expensive! To get onto the Pleasure Pier you either have to buy a ride pass or a $10 walk-onto-the-pier pass! I appreciate that on some level because it keeps crowds of people from just walking on there for no reason and messing with people that are paying customers. HOWEVER, when I paid for 4 kids' ride passes, my husband's ride pass, and I am telling you I am unable to ride rides so a ride pass is unnecessary...really? So it cost us about $115 to get onto the pier. I think the $10 fee can be waived when a parent is going in with a group of paid for kids. It took the kids maybe 2 hours to get tired of the rides, we ate (another $70) and were gone before 4 hours had passed. THAT IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR LESS THAN 4 HOURS. We then paid another $8 for parking. I guess the extra $10 for me to walk on was a drop in the bucket, but it is the principle.

2  Thank lkc67
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I went on Senior Day and all the prices were discounted for both admission and also for the rides. It was very enjoyable and it was fun to sit in the rocking chairs and just "people" watch.

1  Thank Couleedam
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had visited Galveston in 2009 and many places were just starting to rebuild from Ike. The Pleasure Pier location was the Flagship Hotel . The building was still standing but some of the walls had holes where you could still see the beds with blankets on them but no wall! The part of the pier that connected it to Seawall was gone as well. It was really kind of eerie! When we found out that they were going to rebuild the pier to a boardwalk theme park again we were excited. We checked almost weekly on their webcam to see the progress being made. We wanted to attend the Grand Opening but had other life events come up that prevented it. When we started scheduling this trip back in December everyone agreed that they definitely wanted to go to Pleasure Pier.
I have to say it was disappointing. It is a pretty place and it is clean but it is too expensive for a family of 5. We arrived on a Thursday night around 6 because I thought it would be more fun to ride the rides at night with the lights on. The only thing is , they closed at 8. We paid over $115 for two hours worth of carnival rides. We bought 3 ride bands and two walk ons. There were maybe 25 people there total so the kids were able to ride anything they wanted multiple times without waiting. The weird thing was that there were times when they were just standing around because they had already ridden all the rides and were kind of bored. I hope this place doesn't go bankrupt because the idea of rebuilding is so cool but I doubt they have a lot of return visitors either. At the end of the night my family all said ," Let's go back to Kemah Boardwalk next time."