“Surprised!”

Ranked #39 of 308 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Meridian, Idaho
“Surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

This place really surprised me. Being from New Mexico many of the Mexican Food restaurants here disappoint me. Not this one. The place was packed with patrons, but the wait was short. The bowl of chips and salsa was tasty and kept filled. The margaritas were good
I had the house and my daughter had one of the upgraded ones.....well made. I tried one of their sample plates and everything was good. Hard to find refried beans in most restaurants in the Houston area....these were yummy. If you don't want "Tex-Mex" suggest you try this place in Galveston....it's not on the Seawall or on the Strand....but easy to find.

Texas
“Authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

The restaurant has been open for nearly 97 yrs at this original location, yet this was our first visit! It was great and we'll be back. It is located in the midst of a residential area on a corner lot, not far from UTMB. Parking is on the street, or the designated small lot on the same block. Both of our combination platters were great, real cheese not imitation, and the veggies tasted fresh. The service was excellent.

Pearland, Texas
“Love This Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've been to the Original Mexican Café several times. On my last visit I had a combination plate consisting of two ground beef, crispy tacos which are delicious, one cheese enchilada, one shredded chicken enchilada, rice and refried beans. Very good enchiladas and I love their red sauce and chips. Very good every time I go. thank you.

Garden Grove, California
“Excellent Service / Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

The food was so fresh and good here we went 3 times during our visit to Galveston this year. The people are very accomodating. Not once did we have to ask for water or soda.

Great place to eat while you're in Galveston.

Cranleigh, United Kingdom
“Excellent Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I've eatne Mexican food in countries all over the world, and this is a really good restaurant.

You will eat a Dorito again after tasting their complimentary Nachos, which gave my wife and I a good impression of what was to come. Great chicken quesidialls to start with, then enchiladas and a really spicy shrim and rice rounded off a great meal.

The service was attentive throughout without being intrusive, and we have already been back for lunch. Everything tasted so fresh. it was an absolute joy.