Courtyard by Marriott Galveston Island
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I booked a few days at the Courtyard to spend time with my daughter before she went back to college. We've never been to Galveston before. We arrived tired, but check in was speedy and the front desk staff are very friendly. We got up to our room, which was very clean and I was thrilled to find Paul Mitchell hair products - it's what I actually use at home! The front desk staff recommended a great beach for us to go to (this hotel is on the seawall - not a swimming beach) and the restaurant Gaido's which was absolutely amazing...I'll review that too. The pool at this hotel was awesome. Very resort style, and cool color changing bulbs at night. My only complaint didnt' occur until we were packing all of our things and getting ready to go. There were people next door who were very obviously in the throes of ecstactic sex and apparently the walls are thin because the moaning groaning and shouts of pleasure were unmistakable. And since I was traveling with my daughter, this was awkward and had to turn on some loud music to drown it out. Laughing about it now, but at the time - awkward. I would still return to this hotel, as everything else was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Since this is a very new hotel, it is very clean! We got a nice view of the beach and had a lovely time! We weren't dreading coming back to the hotel at the end of the night. Only thing I have to complain about is when we came to check in, the lady at the front was very slow when looking to see if our room was ready.. It took her about 10 minutes. Other than that it was wonderful. Pool was beautiful too. Would come back :)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My family and I stayed here 2 nights in August, 2013. As others have stated, it is a very nice hotel on the western edge of town. There is no beach directly across the street, so be prepared to walk a good distance or a short drive to the beach. The best beaches are just to the west of the hotel, so I thought it ended up being better for us. Room was very nice with a view overlooking the Gulf. The pool is very nice, but crowded due to the fact that it was shared between the Courtyard and the Towne Suites next door. The underground parking garage was a plus, especially to keep the vehicle out of the hot Texas sun. Overall, a quality hotel experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I spent one night here during a business trip and the hotel looked pretty new. The rooms were tiny but had a modern clean look to them. The only issue with the room was the loud air conditioner.

The view of the Gulf is beautiful but the beach itself is not very nice as I would recommend the pool area at the hotel instead. The pool area would be great for kids and a nice place to relax. Overall, the hotel was a lot nicer than some of the places I drove past.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night on 7/27/13, we had three beautiful rooms, the rooms were spotless, and the pool was amazing. The kids had such a good time, we had to make them get out of the pool, come in and take a shower and get ready for bed. My only two complaints are when I first check in I informed the desk clerk that I requested a rollaway bed for two of the rooms; she stated to me that the hotels didn’t carry rollaway beds that were a fire hazard to have rollaway beds in any hotel room. I then asked her why they offered them under the preference summary under the Marriott’s account. She stated “they didn’t, it’s a fire hazard”. My second complaint was the temperature in room 427, after we checked in about 4:30 the room was very warm, so I adjusted the AC unit to a lower temperature to cool off the room, A couple hours later the room temperature read 78, I called and informed the desk clerk and she sent someone up immediately. The maintenance person informed me that if there is no movement in the room the air will go off and that he could override the system so the air would stay on and not start over. About 3am that morning the room was still hot , the kids and I woke up and could not sleep due to the temperature in the room, again the front desk was notified, but no one came so we slept in a warm room, although the beds was the most comfortable beds I ever slept in a hotel. The other two room’s air worked great.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent a Saturday night in July at the Courtyard. Just as other travelers have mentioned, the "beach" directly across the street from the hotel is not a sandy beach. It is very rocky and not where you would want to go to lounge, by any standards. However, if you enjoy walking along the seawall, this stretch can't be beat.
We stayed in a king room and it was very nice, if a bit cramped. Everything was very clean and very comfortable. Our room (#224) had a mini-fridge and that was a nice extra. As other reviewers noted, this hotel has a very nice pool area with a waterfall, beach entry, and plenty of shallow areas around the pool for young children. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We ordered dinner from the pool bar area and were shocked at how large the portions were. The children's hamburger meals ($6 or $8) were more than enough for my husband and kids, and the chicken cobb salad ($12) was enormous. I was pleasantly surprised by how fresh the salad ingredients were.
This property has some parking limitations. You can park at street level on the surface lot, but there are a limited number of spaces. They do have a parking garage underneath, and our Suburban fit fine, but it would be a problem for a larger vehicle.
Lobby area is wonderful and modern, and they serve Starbucks coffee along with basic breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal, yogurt, etc in the lobby cafe.
Overall, a very nice place to stay. We will be back.

Room Tip: Be aware that the rooms all come with a mini frig. Microwave is available in the lobby. King rooms...
2  Thank TruTexasGrl
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Parking is good. I was allowed to check in early but was given a room right next to the elevator and could hear the hallway noise often. My king bed room was small for 2 adults. The mirrors and trash cans were kind of dirty. The bed and TV were nice. Lots of staff members just standing around talking and staring. One of the elevators requires a room key to work. I had to learn this the hard way as I wasn't informed by the person checking me in. A/C isn't very strong. Blackout curtains are better than average. The hotel is 2-3 miles from the beach action, nice restaurants and attractions. Overall better than average for Galveston but not quite very good.