Courtyard by Marriott Galveston Island
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsfire pitacross the streetpool areagreat poolocean viewstarbucks coffeegalveston islandquiet locationbalcony roomseawall blvdsea wallwould stay againbusiness tripparking garagespring breakoff seasonmini fridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We first booked the Marriott behind them and the room was not ready and only one person on duty to book in guest and clean rooms. This is a new building, one year old. We then went to this hotel. The lobby is very nice with a bar. We checked in right away. Do not order food here!!!!!! There was only one person on Memorial Day. It took an hour to get eggs and really bad sausage. The bar was ok sometimes. One person couldn't serve and the other bartender lost his keycard. The rooms are great and price is good!!!!!

Room Tip: Gulf side is probably better than pool side that was noisy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve S
Jason T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Galveston Island, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

We sincerely apologize for not being able to accomodate your reservation. I know this experience can be very frustrating. It is our goal to ensure that each guest reservation is accomodated to their liking. However, unforseen circumstances sometimes makes this hard to comeby. We take your review seriously and have worked diligently to ensure that something like being unable to accomodate reservations do not occur. If you decide to give us another chance, please feel free to contact me and I will personally ensure the details of your reservation.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I haven't had to pay for a breakfast or a cup of coffee at a hotel in years. (But not at this hotel) My wife and I are Platinum with Marriott and Gold with Hilton and are used to the benefits of these programs. This hotel makes guest of any status pay for everything. In addition the hotel pool is shared with another property. Last point this property is too far away from the Galveston action (restaurants and shopping etc) There are far better properties where the owners and management actually care about their guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mark R
Jason T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Galveston Island, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review about our property. As the Courtyard brand, we have recently updated our Platinum Elite arrival gift during check in. This arrival gift now allows for a Platinum Elite member to receive additional Marriott Rewards points as well as a food or beverage item from our Bistro or our Market. If you decide to give our hotel another try, it will be my pleasure to assist you in receiving all of the Platinum amenities we have available.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is new and has way more amenities than most Courtyards. There is a Starbucks Cafe in the lobby and you can get lunch & dinner as well as breakfast. You can ever have room service - granted the menu is of the sandwich / hamburger variety but it's a nice extra.

The outdoor pool is large with a small waterfall, shallow areas, landscaping, cabannas and a bar. Definitely a major step up from the standard rectangle I've seen at most Courtyards. Very kid friendly. There is a also a fire pit for night time relaxing. First time I've seen that at a Courtyard.

The rooms are nice, beds comfy, everything was clean and everything worked. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

One thing - and this is not the fault of the hotel is that while it overlooks the beach, the water comes right up to the seawall. If you want to build sand castles you'll have to get in your car and drive. You can go down to the rocks and dangle your feet in the water but that's about all. Also, it's at the far end of the Seawall and nothing is really within walking distance. That was fine as far as we were concerned - we wanted quiet and we wanted to relax. If you want to walk to the bars and be in the thick of things you'll want to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get on the 4th floor so you don't hear the pool noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank LibraryLady106
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights with gulf view balcony suite. A balcony is not an important feature since sun sets behind hotel and sea winds from the gulf are strong. However, room was adorable and clean. Loved the pool area and happy hour at pool bar! Took advantage of fire pit warmth on chilly evening with a bottle of wine. Front desk staff friendly and helpful, recommended great seafood restaurant (Cajun Greek). Highly pleased with our decision to stay here!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ali F
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed two nights at the Courtyard by Marriott, located within walking distance of the west end of the seawall, which places it away from the more touristy parts of Galveston Island. The facility is new enough to still be nice and well kept, in spite of the wear and tear from beach-goers. Beds are comfortable, but for a place that tries to position itself between full service and budget hotels, I was surprised that the A/C units are through the wall individual units, and as often happens, ours made annoying erratic noises. A steady sound is OK to sleep by, since it drowns out other hotel noises, but the sounds this unit made were too irregular, and they would wake me up, so I had to disable the unit. The thermostat would not turn the unit off, so I took the front cover off and disconnected the main wiring harness, which gave us blessed quiet. After the fist night, I told the desk person about the noisy unit, and she just brushed it off, saying it must be the wind. Since the temperature was OK for sleeping without A/C, I let it go. However, on the second night, people in the pool area were very loud until about 1 AM, so the silent A/C trick didn't do as much good.

Speaking of the pool area, it is a really nice pool for a hotel, with a faux "beach" entry on one end, and a couple of shallow spots, which sort of combines kiddie and adult pools into one, which would be nice for families. There is also a little bar area beside the pool for those wanting a refreshment, and there is even some food service available.

If we stay there agian, I'll be more insistent about getting a room with a quiet A/C unit, or I'll take my business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay on gulf side if you don't want to hear pool noise until the wee hours.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank donnakmc

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced with the noisy air conditioner. I know this must have made your stay less enjoyable. If you decide to give our property another chance, I will ensure that your stay is more enjoyable and quieter.