“Not what I expected from a Marriott”

TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galveston Island
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 1 June 2014

First of all although you access this from Seawall Blvd.,. there is not view of the beach. Stay at the Courtyard which is on the road and has a view of the Ocean. I was able to do an early check in and the front desk people were great. The room had a full size frig and microwave so if you are staying for a long time these are handy. There was some housekeeping issues such as long black hairs (3) in the tub. Also when I came back to my room after lunch the housekeepers were in the hallway so I grabbed my book from my room and went to the pool while they did my room. I stayed at the pool for over an hour and when I got back to my room the maid had not done anything, since they were still in the hall near my room I asked one of them why they hadn't done my room and she said it was because her pass key wouldn't open my door. I told I would let her in and she asked what I wanted done, well I figured bed making, clean the hairy tub and fresh bath towels and soap were standard so I stated those item. I left and came back in about 20 minutes The hairs were still on the tub. Saturday night I decided to reheat my left overs and when I went to clean my dishes in the dish washer I was surprised to see other dirty dishes in there that I did not use. I reported these issue to the night clerk. The room was quiet and bed comfortable, but the housekeeping and the fact that it did not have a view of the ocean left me with less than a favorable impression of this hotel. Also the pool was small and shared with the courtyard inn. Breakfast was not very extensive. Cold cereal, few baked goods, the juice machine was broken and very limited seating. This is on the far west end of the strip and does not have a good beach access across road so you will have to drive else where to get in the ocean. All the night life is at the east end of the island.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank KSFarmerswife
Bobbi G, Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galveston Island, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you had housekeeping issues. The hotel is now under new management and we will address this concern with our Housekeeping Manager. Please also contact us at bobbi.gonzales@marriott.com so we can get additional information about your stay

There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galveston Island

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really enjoyed a few days staying in this Hotel for a conference. It has been just opened for 3 months and some places still have some new room smell. Super clean with very nice staff.

Checkin at Front desk was nice and easy. The only confusion part is courtyard and Towne place are both in on L shaped building. Very easily to go to the wrong check-in place. Should have a more obvious sign outside.

I was booked Towneplace side. Very Spacious room with a king side bed. A fully equipped kitchenette with full size frig and dishwasher. A very nice work station. Plenty dawers for storage. I really like the design of the closet with multiply shelves. Bath room is also decent sized. Overall, a very nice designed place if you want to stay for a while and cook/eat something in the room. I did got the Marriot side to check out the rooms which have a big room without the kitchenette but decor and furniture looked a bit more sophisticated.

The lobby on Townes place side is not big. More modern decorations. The bar was over at Courtyard side and a bit over priced for my opinion if you charge $6 for a bottle of water. The pinot Nior was $13. The surrounding area was very nice with big tables and nice seats for hanging around. The lobby on Marriot side has plenty comfortable sitting area with nice pillows.

The gym is kind of small with 4 treadmills and 2 Elipticals. It is open for 24 hours. I enjoyed those new machines. However, there was not water in the Gym. you will have to come out of room to get the water. They do have a outdoor swimming pool which was closed now.

The shuttle to and from airport is available. You need to call the front desk to get picked up at the airport and tell them you wan to take the shuttle to the airport although it is supposed to be every half hour.

Another good thing it this place is very close to Rainforest cafe and lego discoverary center. So should be pretty cool to come with kids.

Oh, you could really hear the noise of airplanes passing over which was not a big deal for me but it was an issue for one of my coworker.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jjkittycat

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed in this hotel in Galveston waiting for the cruise. For the price the hotel was bad. The room was super small, the view of the beach was none. They did not have enough staff. People had dogs and one dog actually lunged at a guest walking by. The staff was confused about everything. Shuttle was only good thing about this hotel. Way overpriced hotel, as there is no beach at all.

Room Tip: Not a good breakfast, in the south you are used to eating meat, this hotel only had muffins and cere...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug083
MonicaPC360, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galveston Island, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Doug083

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Galveston, TX.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a bit of a problem with check in. I informed them that we would be checking in very late and when we got there, it was after midnight. The gentleman at the front desk said that the computer was in the middle of a shut down and it would be at least an hour before we could check in. Not fun with two kids and two dogs to have to wait that late at night. I spoke with a manager and they apologized. I couldn't understand why he couldn't have had our room key ready since we called ahead to let them know we were arriving late. We loved the dog friendly policy and the pool. We did use the kitchen for lunches and dinner one night. Great $$ saver. The breakfast at the hotel was not great. They ran out of most everything and it was very crowded.

Room Tip: I would have preferred a room on the end towards the gulf or on the east side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kim D

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Marriott Galveston. I apologize about your overall experience with the breakfast. We'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The best thing hands down with this hotel is the outdoor pool and bar/grill. Went for a couple of nights over Mothers Day weekend and it was a great place to stay. The room has a nice set up with a fridge and small kitchen area (we didn't use). The room was big enough for the 2 adults and one child. The outdoor pool reminds me of a small resort pool area. It has a beach entry plus a water fall area but even better than that is the outside bar/grill with pool
Side service. The pool is situated between the Courtyard and Town Place Suites so both guests can use. It was never crowded surprisingly. Only disappointment was the breakfast it was by far the worst I have ever had at a Marriott property. They were out of most things and looked like it only consisted of a few cereal choices, toast, bagel and hard boiled eggs.
I did try and check in early and was turned away at 12 and 2 and even at 4 the room given wasn't ready. They did allow us to use the facilities until the room was ready.

Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the TownePlace Suites Galveston. We are sorry to hear that the breakfast items were running out. As a result of your feedback we have increased the amount of breakfast supplies to ensure this does not happen again.

Again thank you for your time and review

Monica Pena, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I decided Wednesday night to drive down Thursday for the weekend. We normally stay at a higher end hotel but everything was sold out. When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk clerks were the friendliest I have ever encountered. If fact, the entire staff had high standards of customer satisfaction. In addition to this, they have a FREE shuttle that takes you all over the island...so be sure to tip the driver...well worth it. A cab is about 20 from The Strand.
The room was spotless with couch, desk, full size fridge, burners, microwave and coffee...
Well worth booking

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lana K

Thanks again for staying with us.

Monica Pena, General Manager

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Check-in was a breeze, our room was not prepared/cleaned correctly. We only had one almost empty roll of toilet paper, one set of towels for 3 checked-in guests (reservations made well ahead), and there was only 1 decaf coffee packet with a USED reg. coffee packet still in the coffee maker. Called front desk immediately for another set of towels, additional toilet paper roll and a shampoo as there was also no sample provided (cream rinse only). Never received requested items, had to call back again the next morning. Was told they could only find 1 shampoo in the entire hotel (really? only requested 2 for 3 people) and other items were brought within 30 min. Seems like a night staffing problem. Hotel lobby area's were clean, pool was cold (not heated, April visit) but clean area with nice cabana's. *hoping sheets were changed, but with other things in room not restocked (towels, sample shampoo) and fresh (coffee maker) who really knows?...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Debsview12

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you were told they could only find 1 shampoo in the entire hotel. The hotel is now under new management and we will address this concern with our Housekeeping Manager. Please also contact us at monica.pena@marriott.com so we can get additional information about your stay

Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.