“Great place to stay.”

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Wonderful hotel and very nice clean rooms. Staff was very very helpful. Loved the pool bar and bartender. Totally happy with our decision to stay here. Big thank you to Mr. Bill the shuttle bus driver, he gave us the best advice on where to go and what to eat. Even waited up past his schedule to pick us up one night, nicest man you will ever meet. Again, we are very please with our stay at this hotel and really enjoyed everything about it.

Room Tip: Use the courtesy shuttle....cab drivers in Galveston are ver very rude!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan C
Bobbi G, Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galveston Island, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

This location was good for our family vacation. While the TownePlace Suites hotel is behind a Courtyard Marriott, the hotel pool area is shared by both hotels. The pool has large cabanas for use along with a nice outdoor bar....even food can be delivered here. Seawall Drive allows for nice walks but no beach access. You need to walk or drive a little ways to get to beach access. But we enjoyed the hotel location as it is near the Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Waterpark. The hotel even offered van service if you needed to go somewhere. The staff was excellent and responsive to all our requests. This property is pretty new so all the rooms are in excellent shape.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the third floor so we had peace and quiet. We would recommend rooms 3030 or 3031 i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bill F
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel appeared to be very well kept, the staff were a great help and very friendly. I booked this hotel based largely on the name and the expectation that it was on Seawall Drive. The address probably supports the impression that it overlooks the Gulf as well. It does not. It is tucked away behind the Courtyard hotel, which parallels the seawall. The views that you get are of the hotel next door. In addition, it is at the south end of the city and there is no beach across from the hotel. Nice enough hotel, great staff but poor location and poor description. I would most likely not book it again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dean65
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you had some housekeeping issues. The hotel is now under new management and we will address this concern with our Housekeeping Manager. Please also contact us at bobbi.gonzales@marriott.com so we can get additional information about your stay

Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future
Chanute, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

First of all although you access this from Seawall Blvd.,. there is not view of the beach. Stay at the Courtyard which is on the road and has a view of the Ocean. I was able to do an early check in and the front desk people were great. The room had a full size frig and microwave so if you are staying for a long time these are handy. There was some housekeeping issues such as long black hairs (3) in the tub. Also when I came back to my room after lunch the housekeepers were in the hallway so I grabbed my book from my room and went to the pool while they did my room. I stayed at the pool for over an hour and when I got back to my room the maid had not done anything, since they were still in the hall near my room I asked one of them why they hadn't done my room and she said it was because her pass key wouldn't open my door. I told I would let her in and she asked what I wanted done, well I figured bed making, clean the hairy tub and fresh bath towels and soap were standard so I stated those item. I left and came back in about 20 minutes The hairs were still on the tub. Saturday night I decided to reheat my left overs and when I went to clean my dishes in the dish washer I was surprised to see other dirty dishes in there that I did not use. I reported these issue to the night clerk. The room was quiet and bed comfortable, but the housekeeping and the fact that it did not have a view of the ocean left me with less than a favorable impression of this hotel. Also the pool was small and shared with the courtyard inn. Breakfast was not very extensive. Cold cereal, few baked goods, the juice machine was broken and very limited seating. This is on the far west end of the strip and does not have a good beach access across road so you will have to drive else where to get in the ocean. All the night life is at the east end of the island.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank KSFarmerswife
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you had housekeeping issues. The hotel is now under new management and we will address this concern with our Housekeeping Manager. Please also contact us at bobbi.gonzales@marriott.com so we can get additional information about your stay

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really enjoyed a few days staying in this Hotel for a conference. It has been just opened for 3 months and some places still have some new room smell. Super clean with very nice staff.

Checkin at Front desk was nice and easy. The only confusion part is courtyard and Towne place are both in on L shaped building. Very easily to go to the wrong check-in place. Should have a more obvious sign outside.

I was booked Towneplace side. Very Spacious room with a king side bed. A fully equipped kitchenette with full size frig and dishwasher. A very nice work station. Plenty dawers for storage. I really like the design of the closet with multiply shelves. Bath room is also decent sized. Overall, a very nice designed place if you want to stay for a while and cook/eat something in the room. I did got the Marriot side to check out the rooms which have a big room without the kitchenette but decor and furniture looked a bit more sophisticated.

The lobby on Townes place side is not big. More modern decorations. The bar was over at Courtyard side and a bit over priced for my opinion if you charge $6 for a bottle of water. The pinot Nior was $13. The surrounding area was very nice with big tables and nice seats for hanging around. The lobby on Marriot side has plenty comfortable sitting area with nice pillows.

The gym is kind of small with 4 treadmills and 2 Elipticals. It is open for 24 hours. I enjoyed those new machines. However, there was not water in the Gym. you will have to come out of room to get the water. They do have a outdoor swimming pool which was closed now.

The shuttle to and from airport is available. You need to call the front desk to get picked up at the airport and tell them you wan to take the shuttle to the airport although it is supposed to be every half hour.

Another good thing it this place is very close to Rainforest cafe and lego discoverary center. So should be pretty cool to come with kids.

Oh, you could really hear the noise of airplanes passing over which was not a big deal for me but it was an issue for one of my coworker.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jjkittycat

Thanks again for staying with us.
Gene Autry, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed in this hotel in Galveston waiting for the cruise. For the price the hotel was bad. The room was super small, the view of the beach was none. They did not have enough staff. People had dogs and one dog actually lunged at a guest walking by. The staff was confused about everything. Shuttle was only good thing about this hotel. Way overpriced hotel, as there is no beach at all.

Room Tip: Not a good breakfast, in the south you are used to eating meat, this hotel only had muffins and cere...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doug083
MonicaPC360, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galveston Island, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Doug083

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Galveston, TX.

Monica Pena
Corinth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a bit of a problem with check in. I informed them that we would be checking in very late and when we got there, it was after midnight. The gentleman at the front desk said that the computer was in the middle of a shut down and it would be at least an hour before we could check in. Not fun with two kids and two dogs to have to wait that late at night. I spoke with a manager and they apologized. I couldn't understand why he couldn't have had our room key ready since we called ahead to let them know we were arriving late. We loved the dog friendly policy and the pool. We did use the kitchen for lunches and dinner one night. Great $$ saver. The breakfast at the hotel was not great. They ran out of most everything and it was very crowded.

Room Tip: I would have preferred a room on the end towards the gulf or on the east side.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim D
First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Marriott Galveston. I apologize about your overall experience with the breakfast. We'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Monica Pena