“I live in Galveston within 3 blocks of this place”
Review of Sonny's Place

Sonny's Place
Ranked #62 of 317 Restaurants in Galveston
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I am always amazed when I see such good reviews for Sonny's. When we had to relocate after Hurricane Ike I was pleased to see a local place so close to my home. Food is not anything to brag about, and I find the owners to be abrasive and annoying. My husband and I went there twice and he had the mufallata, I had soup that might have been good, but, was so hot my tongue was fried and could not taste it. We sat at the bar that time. Had to listen to how the owner buys the best beef and then grinds it up himself, blah, blah. So, the next time we went went we ordered the burgers, they were good. So, then decided, since we don't like the atmosphere, I would only call in to go orders. Trying to be sociable, I told the owner I have several places in town that I recommend to tourists and I highly praise your burgers. He was very rude and said they have many other things that are better. Of course, higher price items. Mama's spaghetti, gumbo, etc.. The gumbo is okay, but not worth the price, as I told them on the phone I only wanted it as a pre-dinner appt. and would it serve 2 people. What a laugh, about a cup of gumbo. I don't even know how to describe how this place makes me feel, uncomfortable is my first thought. They try to pull jokes on you at the register, close several times a year for months. Just wierd people. If you are from a really big city and want to listen to old rednecks blathering on and on, maybe this is the place for you. I live here and will never go back. They are so clueless, that when I have called in an order and then went to pick it up, duh? when you called, did you mean to order it? So, then had to wait for it to be prepared. Would make a great local bar as they have draft beer, but, don't want to sit somewhere where the owners obviously senile wife sits beside me and utters nonesense.

2  Thank carlas904

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Sonny's is one of those places where you always feel at home and are made to feel welcome. Nothing fancy about the place but the atmosphere is very comfortable. This isn't a chain restaurant or tourist trap, Sonny's is ran by the owner and you'll find him there when you visit.
This past week a group of us enjoyed lunch on Friday and then again on Saturday. Each time we came away feeling good, enjoyed some excellent burgers and when we left were already thinking about our next visit.
On Friday's visit I enjoyed a muffaletta sandwich. You can order a fourth, half, or whole sandwich. I ordered the 1/2 and took home the other half. The sandwich is huge on a soft and tasty bun and full of meat, cheese, and a delicious olive salad. You get a good taste of oregano and garlic but nothing that overpowers the sandwich. Sonny's offers the muffelatta either plain or grilled, either way is delicious.
Today, I tried the Jalapeno Cheese Burger. I got a large hamburger bun with a moist delicious patty with lettuce, tomato, and just the right touch of jalapeno. I was reluctant to order such a sandwich as usually the jalapenos overpower everything else. Not so at Sonny's, there was just the right touch of fire while not burning your mouth. The compliment to the burger was a large basket of French fries, done crispy and served hot.
We tried a pitcher of Shiner Bock and while I'm not really a beer drinker, this was a great compliment to the burger. The pitcher has been frozen and the mugs are also frozen. The effect if that the beer is icy and delicious.
From a cost standpoint it is difficult to complain about anything on Sonny's menu. All items are priced moderately with the most expensive entrée being less than $15. A single burger starts at less than $4 and a wide variety of sandwiches are available along with pasta, shrimp, and chicken.
If you are tired of high prices and just want to enjoy some good food along with friendly service give Sonny's a try, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

We rented a house directly across the street from Somnys, and came over for lunch. Really good gumbo, spaghetti, hamburgers everything. The beer is cold cold, and the family atmosphere is wonderful. Highly recommend.

1  Thank GRienstra
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Our group of 5 was turned off by the wait time at a waterfront restaurant on Saturday night and went to Sonny's for dinner. We all enjoyed a shrimp bun (some chose "dressed" and I liked "undressed". The shrimp were delicious, not overdone, with homemade tartar sauce. Servers are friendly and only locals seem to know about this place. Highest recommendations.

2  Thank James B
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We went on a Friday evening. Luckily they have gumbo on Friday! Delicious fresh shrimp and friendly waitstaff. Happy hour daily from 5 to 730 for really cheap beer. Good place to spot the locals and soak in the flavor. Portions were just right, but the price is a little steep for such a hole in the wall. They had raised prices since the menu I found online. Pool tables and shuffleboard for.a little something extra to enjoy.