“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galveston
Sandpiper RV Resort
Silsbee, Texas
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”
Reviewed 12 September 2007

First of all the location was great. Service was terrible I was ignored and you have to pay for your ice. Everything else about it was not good at all. The floor was dirty, the phone was broke, there were no fitted sheets on the bed, towels were stained, room smelled very musty, dust all over the airconditioner and wall, and the cable had a bad connection. It needs to be updated and they need to hire better housekeeping. They need to drop the price to maybe half of what it is.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank qshale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
missouri
Reviewed 30 July 2007

When we found this motel on line we read all the bad reviews. But we tried it any way. This is a very old motel so if you are looking for something new and fresh this in not for you. There is no room service or coffee makers in room. We knew all this and took our own. The room was clean It had a smell but that could be from the gulf too. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The pool was great. It is the only motel that you don't have to cross the busy seawall street to get to the beach. But what I liked the most was the upper deck the overlooks the beach. This was a great place to go and watch the sunrises. I would stay here again and will. Just keep in mind that it is not a new place. And if you treat people nice you get treated nice.

• Liked — the upper deck
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2007

My husband and I spent the nights of March 30th and March 31st of 2007 at the Sandpiper Motel. We stayed there before, about 6-7 years ago, and it was still acceptable then, but it surely is not now.
The front desk had the door locked and was waiting for the 3:00 p.m. shift change, who was at least 15 minutes late. My husband approached the attendant for a second time, asking him since we had reservations, if he couldn't just check us in. So he "went the extra mile" (with a verbal push ..... hope he didn't overwork himself) that he really didn't want to go and gave us the key and remote (15 minutes into our time that we already were being charged for.....). We have never seen any business person care this little before....
Just a habit - but I looked under the beds.... There was the dust of at least one year under there. Good thing we're not allergic to dust. Under one bed, there was a used condom with other trash.
I asked my husband to look for hisself, so he would believe me.
I was itching in this bed.... The sheets looked stained and not clean.
No housekeeping came - not even once - to bring more soap and towels.
The door to the room stuck so badly, that we had a hard time getting it open in order to get out, which could have been a real hazard in case of a fire.
The second night my husband took our truck (which normally was parked underneath room), and he went out to eat with our relatives, and I stayed in since my back hurt (not related to motel).
Around 8:00 p.m. - at dark -, some lady knocked at the door asking to be let in, since there was a mixup - she called herself "front desk."
I asked her what she wanted..... and then I had to spell my name for her. I didn't open the door, though.
I called my husband at the restaurant twice, because frankly I was scared and worried.... What kind of mixup could there be?
After all, we had reservations, picked up the key...
There are no phones in the rooms, and thank goodness I had a cell phone. I called the front desk and let my phone "ring out" three times, but no answer. I wanted to check out if the "mix-up story" was true.....
April 1st we checked out, and the older attendant apologized for our bad experience, but the young Lady took notes (right...) and despite the complaints, no offer of a discount. Guess I should have asked for one..... I had the impression the note-taking was just make-believe, since we never heard from them regarding the complaints. The room was $100 per night, for which we could have gotten a great place, but as I said, NEVER AGAIN !!!!!
Had the weather not been so bad those two days, I'm sure we would have switched motels. NO MORE SANDPIPER FOR US !

• Liked — When we were leaving !!!
  • Disliked — Uncaring personnel, filth, not feeling safe
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TexasMeadows

Travellers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 July 2007

make that mistake. This motel is very old...and it SHOWS. The walls have mold on it...trash behind the television, the frig. in the room don't work, carpet stained, small rooms but to top it all the workers are very, very rude. They act as tho you (the customer) are not important. Yes its the only motel on the beach ,but all the other hotels are only just across the street...sooo read into all this and pass up this hotel... TRUST ME....

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — All of It
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank gcboutte
Dallas
Reviewed 3 July 2007

We stayed at the sandpiper for 4 nights in June. It was dirty, dirty dirty.

The air conditioner is mounted above the door so we had to climb on a chair to adjust it. It was very noisy.

The windows were not cleaned so we couldn't really see the beach. My husband cleaned it after a rain.

The bathroom floor was filthy. I agree with other posters that the management can't be bothered. When I mentioned the floor needed cleaning, she stated it was stained. I explained to her that I had scrubbed part of it, so I knew it was dirt.

They don't use fitted sheets, and it is hard to keep the sheets tucked in when we slept. They were stained and old.

We called management when we got locked out of our room on the balcony. They were not there, They also do not answer the phone at night when we had a noise complaint.

Rooms are not cleaned until after one.

TV Cable only works on some channels.

For the price, we could have stayed at a lot of different places. I wish we would have stayed somewhere else. I have stayed at alot of different hotels/motels in Galveston and this is by far the worst.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — all of it
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NancyTexas
texas
Reviewed 30 May 2007

I stayed at the Sandpiper Motel for one night over Memorial Day weekend. I am a travel agent and have stayed in the good, bad and ugly, but never anything this terrible. There were holes in the ceiling, the floors, and the walls. I watched the paint actively chip from the walls while we were in the room. The beds were on their last leg and had no mattress covers and dirty sheets. The towels had black fingerprints all over them and the biggest towels they provide in the room is a hand-towel...no bath towels whatsoever. The bar soap on the sink had been used and re-wrapped. The 3 hangers in the room were rusted so badly they wouldn't move. We showered with our shoes on due to filth and during my shower the showerhead flew completely off. Even with all of the maintenance and housekeeping issues needing to be addressed, I actually witnessed a maintenance man washing his own vehicle windshield while on duty. The staff is rude and unhelpful. When I checked in a key and remote were handed to me and no words spoken. I had to ask what room number we were in, where to go, what the extra $5 on my bill was for (key deposit) and never did I get a friendly word or smile. The place is in such bad disrepair that I believe it could qualify to be condemned. I will make sure to tell my clients to NEVER stay at this motel due to safety and health concerns. I also plan to contact Galveston authorities about what kind of inspections have been done and see who should be appointed to investigate the condition of this motel. I have always been able to find somehting decent to say about anywhere I've stayed, even the dives. Not this time. The management/owners should be ASHAMED.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank astrasl
Beldenville, WI
Reviewed 18 October 2006

I have stayed at this motel a couple of times, and it is pretty much a dive. It is moldy, and buggy, but it is on the beach in South Texas, after all. I used it for convenience. I WILL NOT STAY THERE EVER AGAIN. I was ROBBED there just last night. My friends and I took a cab to downtown Galveston to try to find night life, and when we returned, our room had been broken into and thousands of dollars in valuables had been stolen. The night clerk was gone, and I was unable to find anyone in the morning, either, and they will not answer the phone. I have not been able to speak to the management or ownership, OR ANYONE about my experience (except the police).

Stayed October 2006
10 Thank rennietraveller
piperlady, General Manager at Sandpiper RV Resort, responded to this review, 20 November 2006
In the 5 days following this unfortunate and unusual incident we spoke with the guest 2 times and refunded his money in full. Desk clerks are instructed to give my email address and all written requests are responded to promptly.