“Fun, educational way to escape the heat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 100 things to do in Galveston
Austin, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fun, educational way to escape the heat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have never liked libraries. I know, I am one of the few but I have always found them to be too dark, too dirty, and full of questionable people. The Rosenberg Library has completely changed my mind. I love this place! It is a historical building conveniently located downtown. It is clean, bright, and brimming with happy, pleasant librarians that just want to help. There are tons of really great free children's programs all summer that you will not believe. The kids section is far away from the adults so you don't have to be stressed out and sshhhhing the entire time you are there. There is also a very interesting Galveston history museum on the top floor that is kid friendly. They can steer a ship with the help of the actual wheel from the USS Galveston. This buys the adults time to browse the fascinating pictures of how the entire island was raised 14 feet. Don't forget to ring the bell....but not too loudly!

Visited July 2011
2 Thank CheechTX

Ft. Polk La.
“I lived in Galveston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

I spent 32 years in Galveston, and growing up there, the Rosenberg Library was a great joy in my life. And as I travel around some, I have come to miss it terribly. It seems to be the "STANDARD" by which I judge all other libraries. But unfortunatly, others just don't seem to measure up. Sometimes I think this is because of the rich history of the island, and all "she" has to tell...so to anyone planning a trip to the island,by all means, go visit . I don't think you will be disappointed if you are one to appreciate history. And Galveston is swimming in it!!!