“Really enjoyed this tour!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Type: Rail Tours, Tours
colorado
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Really enjoyed this tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were in Galveston for 2 days prior to a cruise and wanted to take advantage of our time. We did this tour and it was great. It was $30 for our family of 4 (2 young children) and it was about an hour and fifteen minutes long. They take you around the island and tell you about the history and show you some great sights. We would definitely recommend it if you like to learn a little bit more about this city.

Visited October 2013
7 Thank ebk1174

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Must Do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Great little tour only about an hour and a half. A must do on your visit ro hear and see a lot of the amazing history this island has. Beautiful architecture and sites. Take back a great appreciation of the history.

Visited September 2013
9 Thank Katrina B
UK
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“A cracking ride.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This little tour runs three times a day from right outside the gates of the Pleasure Pier: 9.30am, midday and 1.30pm, and it costs $10. Additional tips for the tour guide are welcomed, but not imperative. I went for the 9.30am ride before the heat set in.

The "train" itself is more or less what you'd expect - a bright pink carriage towed by a Jeep (the train section was destroyed during Hurricane Ike). They will only run if they have a minimum of six people, although I doubt that this is a problem anyone will ever have to face.

The ride takes you down the Seawall and then cuts through a beautiful neighbourhood where you will hear a bit of history about the 1900 storm and some of the more influential families on the island. One thing about this section of the journey was that, although the houses were lovely, driving through the backstreets did start to lose its charm after the first fifteen minutes or so. However, things soon pick up again when you turn onto Broadway and then drive through downtown. You'll see some sights that you wouldn't have even noticed otherwise, like the oldest Coca Cola advert in the state and a church that was raised by four and a half feet without disturbing a single brick!

This tour covers a very wide area of Galveston, right the way from the Seawall to Harborside, and from around 40th to 12th. The day before I had tried to view this area on foot and it had been an ordeal, so I would definitely recommend taking the Treasure Island Train.

Good points: reasonable price, informative, quite funny in parts, and a nice way of seeing the sights if you're feeling a bit lazy.

Bad points: the tour of the residential area lasts a little longer than is maybe necessary.

Visited September 2013
7 Thank SarahKnowsThisOne
The Woodlands, Texas
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great Tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We weren't sure about taking this Treasure Isle Tour Train, but it turned out to be a highlight. The guide was excellent and the time passed too quickly. The information was not only interesting, but done in a humorous fashion, which made it fun for all of us!

Visited August 2013
6 Thank Prico4
Texas
207 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“A great tram tour of the historical parts of Galveston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

The little tram is parked next to Pleasure Pier and leaves each day at 9:30, noon and 2:30 p.m. at 25th and Seawall. The worst part is dealing with this new call on the phone pay system that the city has enacted. I called, it took my credit card and everytime I tried to enter my license plate it hung up on me. Very hard to hear it with the ocean waves behind you. You can maybe talk to a real person but everytime I hit that feature it disconnected me. Please get rid of this horrible parking system Galveston! Put in parking meters or pay boxes.

As for the tour, the operator is very knowledgable about the city. I loved having someone else do the driving and tell us about so many of the historic homes and businesses. He points out the carved trees that were created after IKE and you hear so much that you would never know driving around yourself. Some of the stories are so obscure I never heard of them. He pointed out homes with the special stamp that survived that storm of 1900 and IKE water lines on other buildings. We were able to see so many famous homes! It also includes the strand area and we even saw what's left standing of the first pirate on the island's home.

Very nice job! I would say this is best for kids ages 11 and up or are interested in history. The tour takes 1.5 hours.

Visited August 2013