“About an hour too long”

Treasure Isle Tour Train
Ranked #16 of 79 Tours in Galveston
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The tour was informative and interesting--it just took too long. An hour and 45 minutes is a little much, and we didn't realize the length of the tour until it started (our mistake!). The speaker on the "train" was difficult to hear with the sounds of traffic and wind.

1  Thank TexasChango

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We took this tour after finding out the trolley was not up and running after hurricane Ike. I will be honest, I thought it would be nice to ride around and see things at a slower pace but did not expect to learn anything. Boy was I wrong! As the previous reviewer said, the driver did warn us that the tape was pre-Ike, but he interjected anytime something had changed. I assume they will update the tape soon. I do not feel it took away from the attraction at all. I saw buildings and learned facts about Galveston that after 25 years of living just 30 minutes away, I did not know. I love history and this did not dissapoint. I had a little trouble hearing the recording at times, but it was a very windy day, and that may be why. Our whole group got off saying how wonderful the tour was, and that we were so glad we took the time to do it. The tour lasts almost two hours, it is not rushed at all. It was wonderful. Will say it was boring for the young children but that is to be expected. They did thing the riding around was fun though.

2  Thank lovefurryfriends
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Just a couple of observations about the Treasure Isle Tour Train: We first showed up at noon on a Monday to ride the train, but were told by the Duck Tours operator that the tour train wasn't running that day. When we came back on Wednesday, the train was there but the driver told us he had to have a minimum of four people to run it. We had 13 in our group, so it wasn't a problem.

Dave, our driver, explained that the recorded narration was pre-Hurricane Ike, but that he would stop the tape several times and give us updates. The recorded narration is at least 15 years old. For example, when driving by the Hutchings Home, the tape says that the Hutchings family still resides in the house, but I read where a couple bought the mansion in 1996 and restored it.

That said, the tour takes you all over the island and you learn many fascinating things about Galveston. Dave the driver provides additional insight that only an Islander would know. I don't necessarily recommend the train for the children, as they quickly get bored with all the historical detail. But it's money well spent for adults.

11  Thank countryeditor
Reviewed 7 July 2009

The best way to see the island and learn about its history is to take this tour. Very informative

3  Thank drbw1169