“Expected better from reading reviews!”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Decatur, Texas
“Expected better from reading reviews!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Booked here after reading the great reviews for a vacation for my 13 yr old and myself. What a disappointment! Elevators (2) were extremely slow! Spoke in advance to hoterl staff to ensure no mold/previous storm damage as my son has severe asthma - told no, booked non-smoking - room had an extreme stale stench throughout our stay, even after spraying Febreze heavily the smell would return! Stayed for 4 nights and room was serviced after requesting - beds made with 1 of the bedspreads having a huge black grease mark on it; no restocking the room with coffee - had to go to front desk to receive AND room was NOT vacuumed each day leaving hair on the bathroom tile floor and in the sink! Not even sure if the sheets were changed each day as they were wrinkled on 2 of the days as if the bed was just made?? The price included a continental breakfast - the syrup containers were near empty and when hotel staff was asked for additional syrup by my teen "Melanie" did nothing but state that "there should be some on the tables" even after being told that they were empty! Our keys quit working and had to be reprogramed, the internet quit working and the staff expected us to call their internet provider to resolve! When asked for a copy of receipt it was refused since I had booked online through US Airways who uses the services of others (Total Security Solutions, Travelnow.com, Travelscape who is associated with Expedia) - I wanted the receipt to show the rate that had been paid for each day since when I added another nights stay Quality Inns staff told me they could add the nights stay but not at the same rate I had paid for the first 3 nights - to get that I would have to go through who I had used. I asked what rate per night through them, was told $134.95 which I told them that was the same rate I had paid per night - Quality Inn then told me that no, I had paid $109.76 per night - this is the receipt I wanted a copy of - REFUSED by Quality Inn!!! Really enjoyed Galveston BUT will not stay here on our next trip!!

5 Thank Darla B
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Hi Darla: I do not know what room you stayed in, but we take your comments very seriously. If you would like to speak to me, please call the hotel and ask for James. All I can say is we are sorry. The situation with the rates and showing you what you paid, is caused by restrictions in contracts between all hotels and online websites like Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, etc., that restricted disclosure of the rates guests pay. You get a receipt directly from these companies when making the reservation, and then they give us their credit card to pay the room. We have no idea what rate you paid them, but they do not pay us the same rate, because they make their money on margin between the two. The only receipt we are able to give you is a blank one with no rates. This is true of ALL hotels. As for the elevators, they seem slow because they are in constant use. There are 2, but most people use the main one, and this was during Spring Break, so the hotel was packed with kids. I hope you will give me a call, as I would love to discuss this with you further. We want happy customers. Best regards, James Marx, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Our family had a great stay at this hotel but we came home and found out that the bed had lice and infected all of us. We were able to treat it but what a pain and unnecessary worry. Other than that, there were no other issues - breakfast was good, location was great, service was good.

5 Thank HemalUdani
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Me and my fiance' came here for our 2 year anniversary. We made reservations online over a month before. Because we booked early we got a fantastic rate for a king suite with jacuzzi in room. (I must tell you, though, that the description of the room does not say jacuzzi, you just have to find the pictures of the king suites and make sure it has a jacuzzi. I think another has a couch or something.) Check in was at 4pm. We arrived at about 3:50pm and checked in and the housekeeper had just finished cleaning our room. No problems at all with waiting for a room. They put us on the 5th floor, which like other reviewers said, the higher the better for views. We have a huge room, a very nice sized balcony with a great view, everything is clean, huge tv, desk, table, 2 chairs and tiny table on the private balcony. Also, even though we have a jacuzzi in room, the bathroom still has a shower/tub. Other ammenities are: coffee pot and coffee in room, refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom also has a blow dryer, ladies! I packed mine just in case. The location is great, the staff is friendly and we will definitely be coming back next year for our 3rd year anniversary and staying in the same room.. 507!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank danajade
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The fire alarm went off ALL NIGHT. The Air Conditioner didn't cool the room, and my socks will filthy from the dirt on the carpeting. I would NEVER recommend anyone staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim t
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
This was a situation where a guest pulled the fire alarm at 11:30 PM as a joke. The fire department came, and in the process of trying to reset the system, they set it off a couple more times. This all happened over one hour. This type of thing is totally beyond the control of any hotel to control, and should not reflect negatively on the property. Every hotel in the country has pull stations, and unfortunately, every so often some fool will pull one. We partially reimbursed many of the guests affected that night. The hotel has now added cameras on each pull station, and additional warning signs. The carpets are shampooed twice a year by a professional, and done in-house as needed in between. Thank You, James Marx, GM
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was there for spring break with my wife and 2 daughters and we had a great time at the hotel. MELANIE was awesome, best customer service ever. We got a room over looking the ocean and it was a pleasant experience,

Room Tip: Gotta see the sea frm the room.