“Great Prices, Great Views, Everything Else Just Okay”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 20 February 2014

First the good part. The $50 off season weekday rate is hard to beat. So are the balconied ocean views. However, the rooms are tired but clean and the breakfasts and coffee are nothing to write home about. As for the front desk, they did not seem very friendly or knowledgeable. Based on previous TripAdvisor reviews, when we checked in, we asked for a room facing east - away from the McDonald's drive through. You guessed it, we got a room facing the McDonald's. We took our bags back down to the desk and got a room on the other side - only after the 2 front desk clerks, fished out a room chart to consult. You would have thought that they could memorize which side even and odd number rooms were on.

I think what upset us most was the last night of our stay. It seems that a large number of rooms were "occupied" by high school students and their teachers. The room adjacent to ours was given to one of the teachers - who decided to hold a meeting with about 15 girls from about 9 pm - door slamming, cheering, you name it. Around 10 pm, my wife went next door - no apology - teacher said that there was no room in the lobby and she was entitled to do whatever she wanted until 11 at night. We decided not to pursue it, hoping that the noise would die out by 11 - it did at 10:50.
I suggest that in future, the hotel try to isolate the school groups along with their teacher in rooms away from everyone else. Also, they should make clear that they are providing bedrooms and not meeting rooms.

This was one of 6 hotels we stayed in on our trip to southern Texas. We found the staff in all but this place, very friendly and very eager to please. To be fair, this was the cheapest stay so I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dogswood
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

I am sorry there was a mistake made on your room placement. As you noted, there was a large school convention in town, and we were unable to fill your request due to guests occupying the rooms you wanted. We were unaware that they were having a meeting up there, or we would have demanded they use the lobby, it is a very common practice for groups to use our breakfast area for this type of thing...I am really sorry this happened. From now on we will make an effort to tell groups that they need to do this. We actually turn down many groups to prevent this type of thing. That particular group was here in previous years and we have never had a problem. This is a yearly convention.

As far as the friendliness of the staff is concerned, I have to admit I am very surprised to see that they were less than helpful. As you can tell from many other comments in this site, this is not usually the case. We are very careful to make sure we only hire the friendliest employees, and then train them in their individual jobs. I have found from long experience that it is impossible to train someone to be friendly. I am sorry if my employees were less than friendly when dealing with you, and I will definitely find out which employees you encountered and correct this issue. Please feel free to call me, and I will see what I can do to discount your bill, we would like to see you stay with us again.

Best Regards,
James Marx

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We may have only spent 1 night here, very clean and friendly, but were great to us because we were not able to board our cruise ship until late due to fog.
We were invited to stay and enjoy the hotel lobby as long as we needed to. They kept our luggage in a locked room and didn't have to worry while out walking and enjoying the sites.
I would highly recommend them to anyone traveling to Galveston.
We also enjoyed a hot breakfast and coffee in our room.
Girls at desk were very helpful with recommendations for lunch, dinner and shuttle to take us to cruise port (they even booked it for us and changed time for pick up when we were delayed by cruise line on what time we could board).

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms and all were great with a balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a great Hotel,very clean and friendly staff that tends to your every need. The Breakfast is fresh and gives you multple choices to choose from. We went during the weekend of Valentines Day and plan to make this our Home away from Home . We love Galvston as our Weekend Getaway and are excited to find a Hotel that fits our needs.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to a fishing pier. It is clean and freshly painted. The desk people are very helpful and cheerful. The breakfast is really full of choices: waffles, yogurt, eggs, cereal,some fruit, muffins, toast and, of course, coffee. and T

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Everything was fine at this hotel until it was time for me to take a shower to get ready. I find that I had no hot water. They send maintenace to come look at it and now its too late to take a shower and get ready. Pretty irritating. Would not reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

I am so sorry you didn't have hot water when it was time to take a shower. Anything mechanical will malfunction sooner or later. As you noted, maintenance came up right away. We hate it when a guest leaves unhappy, and though it was beyond our ability to foresee the problem, I certainly will be happy do what I can to make it right.

Best Regards,
James Marx

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I'll start off by saying this hotel is past it's prime. But it more than makes up for it in the price. About $50 a night for a two queen room and a balcony is cheap, but the room was clean, beds comfy and hotel was in a very safe area with restaurants nearby. The indoor pool was only ok, but the kids loved it and were able to burn off steam after a day of travel. The hot tub has been filled in with concrete and the pool room needs some attention. Breakfast in the morning was solid with hot waffles and good selection of cereal and fruits. Overall great value and I'd definitely feel comfortable staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dustin G
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This turned out to be a great choice for me and my family. Me and wife and two kids (14 and 12). We only stayed here one night, just a place to stay before we got on a cruise ship the next morning. This is a Quality Inn (it's not the Hilton), but the property is well kept, and the EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE far made up for anything they lacked on the property. Our room was nice and clean. It is right across the street from the seawall/beach, so my wife and I even walked across the street and enjoyed some time by the water. There is a guest laundry there, and we were able to do a little laundry before we got on the ship. On this particular trip, we stayed in 5 different hotels. This one wins the prize for customer service. They were very, very polite. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family