“Great location, nice hotel!”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Arlington, Texas
“Great location, nice hotel!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I researched Trip Advisor before I booked my hotel for a quick trip to Galveston. When traveling with my daughter and her friends, I wanted easy beach access, free wifi, and free breakfast. Quality Inn had all of those things. We arrived very early, about 11:30 AM, and the front desk lady said they had a first floor room available immediately, but she warned there would be no beach view. The girls just wanted to get in a room, so we accepted the offer. The room was right next to the front desk, and close to the elevator, so I knew there would be a little extra noise.

The view from our room was of the parking lot, but if I looked a little to the left, I could see the ocean. The room had two good sized beds, a table and two chairs, a new flat screen TV, a small refrigerator, a microwave, closet, and plenty of room for the 4 of us. One thing that impressed me was that they had Direct TV at the hotel. I don't spend a lot of time in my hotel rooms, but when I am there, I like to chill out with the television. So many hotels offer explanations as to why they get so few channels, etc, but this was nice-even some movie channels included. The bathroom was decent sized, with the sink, toilet and shower/bath all in the room together.

We did enjoy the free breakfast the next morning. I liked that there were three "stations" of breakfast food-everything was not crammed together. There were biscuits and gravy, make your own waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit, danishes, a few kinds of cereal, oatmeal, coffee, juices, milk, a really good variety. When I got syrup, I could tell they were almost out in the containers. I got some and sat down. As I looked around, the worker, Roxanne, I believe was her name, had already brought out fresh jars of syrup. She was certainly on top of things in the breakfast room. Another big plus, there was plenty of room to sit. So many hotels have small breakfast areas, but this one had probably 10 tables or more, and there were other chairs and couches nearby in the lobby area. The food was hot and tasty. A great way to start the day.

The location of this hotel is great. It is very centrally located, with lots of restaurant locations close by or just a short drive. The beach was just a short walk to the crosswalk, then you were on the beach. The hotel pool was indoors and fairly small. There was no jacuzzi. The ocean was cold, so the girls were looking forward to jumping in the pool. The water was not as warm as they would have liked, and because it was spring break, there were a ton of kids in the pool. Though I had hoped the pool would be a good alternative to the beach, the girls only stayed at the pool about 5 minutes.

The hotel staff was great during our trip as well. The manager was cleaning up some around the front desk when I complimented his breakfast room. The ladies at the front desk did a great job of recommending close restaurants, getting us items we had left at home, and definitely getting us a room LONG before check in time. I would certainly book a room here again.

Room Tip: I hear the upper floors have a good ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank twcsmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived early on Monday our room was not ready so they gave us one that was. After going to the room we wanted to change to the original room we went and ask them if we could change and had no problem doing . The room was big and clean. Staff was great. Breakfast was as advertised. We would stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Clean, comfortable and centrally located. Easy to get to and in the middle of the beach. Lots of restaurants near by and the beach is only 100 yards away. Make sure to ask for the top floor as it offers the best views of the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thanks for the kind comments!
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

First the good part. The $50 off season weekday rate is hard to beat. So are the balconied ocean views. However, the rooms are tired but clean and the breakfasts and coffee are nothing to write home about. As for the front desk, they did not seem very friendly or knowledgeable. Based on previous TripAdvisor reviews, when we checked in, we asked for a room facing east - away from the McDonald's drive through. You guessed it, we got a room facing the McDonald's. We took our bags back down to the desk and got a room on the other side - only after the 2 front desk clerks, fished out a room chart to consult. You would have thought that they could memorize which side even and odd number rooms were on.

I think what upset us most was the last night of our stay. It seems that a large number of rooms were "occupied" by high school students and their teachers. The room adjacent to ours was given to one of the teachers - who decided to hold a meeting with about 15 girls from about 9 pm - door slamming, cheering, you name it. Around 10 pm, my wife went next door - no apology - teacher said that there was no room in the lobby and she was entitled to do whatever she wanted until 11 at night. We decided not to pursue it, hoping that the noise would die out by 11 - it did at 10:50.
I suggest that in future, the hotel try to isolate the school groups along with their teacher in rooms away from everyone else. Also, they should make clear that they are providing bedrooms and not meeting rooms.

This was one of 6 hotels we stayed in on our trip to southern Texas. We found the staff in all but this place, very friendly and very eager to please. To be fair, this was the cheapest stay so I guess you get what you pay for.

1 Thank Dogswood
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
I am sorry there was a mistake made on your room placement. As you noted, there was a large school convention in town, and we were unable to fill your request due to guests occupying the rooms you wanted. We were unaware that they were having a meeting up there, or we would have demanded they use the lobby, it is a very common practice for groups to use our breakfast area for this type of thing...I am really sorry this happened. From now on we will make an effort to tell groups that they need to do this. We actually turn down many groups to prevent this type of thing. That particular group was here in previous years and we have never had a problem. This is a yearly convention.

As far as the friendliness of the staff is concerned, I have to admit I am very surprised to see that they were less than helpful. As you can tell from many other comments in this site, this is not usually the case. We are very careful to make sure we only hire the friendliest employees, and then train them in their individual jobs. I have found from long experience that it is impossible to train someone to be friendly. I am sorry if my employees were less than friendly when dealing with you, and I will definitely find out which employees you encountered and correct this issue. Please feel free to call me, and I will see what I can do to discount your bill, we would like to see you stay with us again.

Best Regards,
James Marx
Tonawanda
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We may have only spent 1 night here, very clean and friendly, but were great to us because we were not able to board our cruise ship until late due to fog.
We were invited to stay and enjoy the hotel lobby as long as we needed to. They kept our luggage in a locked room and didn't have to worry while out walking and enjoying the sites.
I would highly recommend them to anyone traveling to Galveston.
We also enjoyed a hot breakfast and coffee in our room.
Girls at desk were very helpful with recommendations for lunch, dinner and shuttle to take us to cruise port (they even booked it for us and changed time for pick up when we were delayed by cruise line on what time we could board).

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms and all were great with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a great Hotel,very clean and friendly staff that tends to your every need. The Breakfast is fresh and gives you multple choices to choose from. We went during the weekend of Valentines Day and plan to make this our Home away from Home . We love Galvston as our Weekend Getaway and are excited to find a Hotel that fits our needs.

South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to a fishing pier. It is clean and freshly painted. The desk people are very helpful and cheerful. The breakfast is really full of choices: waffles, yogurt, eggs, cereal,some fruit, muffins, toast and, of course, coffee. and T

• Stayed February 2014