“Simply The Best”
other travellers have booked this property
Front of House Master Bedroom with Kingsize Bed
Neighborhood Pool for Spring and Summer
Fishing Pier
View from Front Deck to Ocean
Beach in front of Neighborhood
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Donna F
“Simply The Best”
Reviewed 5 October 2017 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

Blue Heron House is simply great. Bedrooms - enough rooms and beds and linens for everyone. Dining Room - very nice/solid dining table large enough to seat 10 people along with enough dishes and flatware and serving dishes. Kitchen - plenty of cooking vessels, lots of room, table in the kitchen, separate butcher block, clean and functional appliances. Living Room - two separate seating areas next to each other so the family can either all interact or have separate activities at the same time (good for watching the game) - we set up a full size Christmas tree and still had room for 9 people. The decks are huge and gave us room to set up Christmas lights. The house is clean and comfortable.

This is our 7th year to spend a week in Galveston in December. Five of those seven visits have been at Blue Heron House (BHH). The other two visits were spent at two different rentals in Galveston. Neither house provided the amenities that BHH gave us - everyone missed BHH. We went to a different rental the first tine because my husband complained about the drive out to BHH - he stopped complaining and requested BHH for the next year. The 2nd time, I did not request a reservation in time and had to scramble to find another location. Again, everyone requested BHH for the next year (there's a reason why I now make my reservations by October at the latest). Dealing with the rental agency was very difficult - they insisted we pick up the keys to the house by 4:00 PM - we were driving from Dallas to Galveston after work on a Friday - how are we supposed to pick up keys by 4:00 PM? Also, the cleaning crew was waiting for us to leave at one of the other houses even though we weren't past our check out time. The owner of BHH, Craig, has always been extremely flexible and understanding of our situation and our arrival times.

I also want to point out that BHH was very homey/comfortable and felt like we were staying with a relative rather than a rental. The other two rentals were much more sterile and had the feel of a hotel rather than a home.

BHH is in Terramar Beach which was always been quiet and safe. We have never, in 4 visits, had any issues or interactions with the neighbors. If the neighbors interacted with a wedding party as mentioned in another review, that interaction was definitely instigated by the neighbors and not by the owner, Craig.

As far as deposits, we have gotten our deposit back from Craig every time without issue. Craig has also always been very response both with email and phone calls. We have contacted him multiple times at odd/late hours and he is always polite and responsive. No complaints at all.

There was a lot of concern about our favorite place due to Hurricane Harvey, but all is well and the whole family is looking forward to our 5th visit to Blue Heron House this December!!

hkristin0...
“Owner has neighbors spy on you”
Reviewed 31 August 2017 for a stay in July 2016

This house was rented, with full disclosure to the owner, with the intent of having a small wedding reception at. The downstairs refrigerator was so disgusting that science experiments should be done on the inside mold/reside. The owner advised of an error in the deposit calculation and requested me to send additional money via check by mail. He had neighbors spying on us. They were obviously counting my guests (which was less than the number estimated...including babies) and actually came over asking my guests questions such as how many people were there and when would it start/end. My guests of course had no idea and gave wrong information, but regardless my guests and I felt like we were being watched the entire time and could not enjoy ourselves. The owner did not refund the additional deposit that was sent by check, he ignored my emails. The house was left in immaculate condition, 2 of my overnight guests were/are professional house cleaners of over 30 years so there was no reason to not refund what was agreed on. Before our event we enjoyed ourselves and the house very much, it's too bad that the actions of the owner ruined it.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
5 Sep 2017
First, I tried to work with her when I first saw this review to explain what I am going to write in this review so that she could have an opportunity correct her misunderstandings. She did not communicate any of her apparent issues during her stay or before submitting her review which would be the professional thing to do.

The refrigerator she speaks of contains my personal items including fishing bait which is not for use of the tenants. Please note that she did not find any cleanliness issues with anything else about the house, therefore all which she was entitled to use was clean.

I was in no contact with my neighbors during her stay. If one or more of my neighbors took interest in the party and asked questions that is unfortunate. Some neighbors are non accepting of owners that rent their houses. Unfortunately the tenants unprofessional tact will not allow me to speak to the neighbor since she did not communicate this to me in a timely manner or help me discover which neighbor were responsible. I have been renting this house since 2003 and not one neighbor has complained about a tenant except in a couple of cases where the tenant was being unruly.

I have no issue with her party nor how she left the house. I am a busy person and while I should be on top of the deposits the failure to return her additional deposit was an oversight. I am going to work with her to get this taken care or.

As you can see my tenants have enjoyed this house over the years, I have many glowing review, and 2 whole guest books full of nice remarks to show for it.

Craig
Melissa M
Caldwell, Texas, United States
“We had the BEST time!”
Reviewed 25 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

This rental is about 15 miles outside of Galveston, so there is not as much congestion and not as many tourists as you may expect. The house was very comfortable and provided everything we needed (other than our food and personal items, of course). It felt like we were at home! There was plenty of room for my family of 6 adults, 2 children and an infant. We honestly never wanted to leave! The beach was amazing and we also had access to a really nice pool in addition to fishing from the pier. The owner was quick to respond via message with any concerns and we will definitely visit again!

mrsdjwelb...
Kirtland, Ohio
“Many of the great amenities of home are available at this quaint vacation home!”
Reviewed 6 January 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Didn't have to walk far to reach water on either side of the island, nice quiet beach to run or ride bikes, and a beautiful bay to sit and watch the fish jump!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I absolutely loved being able to hear the waves from the beach!
Liked least: I would really have enjoyed a little bit MORE to do, like fishing equipment, crab cage, etc.
Travelling group: Large Group
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Danielle...
Friendswood, Texas
“Friendsgiving”
Reviewed 8 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

This home was fully equipped to accommodate our large group of friends. There was more than enough seating room/chairs for all 8 of us, as well as plenty of sleeping choices, which is usually such a rarity. The kitchen was large and as far as appliances, we were never left wanting. The grocery store down the road was perfect for keeping us supplied. Even though we chose early November, the weather was perfect for outdoor grilling and we genuinely had such a wonderful time!! Hardly any neighbors at this time of year! We will definitely be coming back!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The patio areas and seating.
Liked least: Nothing!
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Large groups
FosterFam...
Lewisville, Texas
“Summer 2015 Family Trip”
Reviewed 27 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I would recommend this home to my friends...had a wonderful time with my family.
Good location- enjoyed visiting, swimming, fishing and resting.
We did have some issues with the internet and cable TV access.

Liked best: Open family area
Liked least: Some issues with Internet & TV
Travelling group: Extended Family
Large groups
Doyla B
“Awesome place”
Reviewed 22 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

Enjoyed the weekend with family. Bring groceries and stay at the house more it is in an excellent location.

Liked best: Location
Travelling group: Extended Family
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing