“after cruise”

Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Tyler, Texas
“after cruise”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

the hotel was clean, We chose to stay at this hotel because it was pretty close to the beach. the staff was very helpful with our needs

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
PLANO
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed here last july 2011 and the placed was being renovated. The outside is not clean and the room smells damp. The carpet looks dirty and the bed cover does not smell fresh.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Take your hard earned money elsewhere! My husband booked this stay as a surprise for our 12th anniversary. We checked in around 8pm on Friday night. We immediately were given the run around about our room. He booked the 3rd floor facing the ocean (which isn't much of a view...more of a glimpse, but that is a matter of opinion). The front desk clerk said someone else wanted that room and we would have to take another room Really lady? The other people hadn't even checked in yet!!! Nonetheless, we were given the room. When we got to the room, I immediately put our bags down and did a overall check of the room. It was roomy, and the bathroom was nice with granite counter tops. I went out and checked out the private balcony. It was private, but the little plastic chairs were tiny and looked like they came from the dollar store. There were cigarette burns on the walls where people had put out their smokes and the vent from AC inside the room was loud and blowed hot air on you while you sat on the tiny balcony. To the west of the balcony was a view of a vacant, overgrown lot full of trash, with an old cemetary south of it. Very creepy. Back in the room, I continued my search to find scuffed walls, scratched furniture, sticky tabletops, greasy headboards, dingy linens on the bed (I just went ahead and took the pillows off of the bed and put down my own sheet and comforter and pillows). I also brought my own cleaning supplies for the bathroom. It was "clean" for the most part, but there were lots and lots of stray brown LONG hairs that did not belong to me. They were embedded in every towel in there!!!!! They were stuck to the hairdryer and all over the coffee pot and in the sink and tub and all over the floor! Gross. After I cleaned and disinfected the bathroom MYSELF, I was able to take a long hot shower. That was the best. The shower was big and roomy and very soothing. Just when I got ready to get in the bed, I saw 1 roach crawling down the front of the microwave, one crawling down the front of the fridge, and one crawling down the wall behind the TV. My husband was able to kill 1 of the 3 and took it to the front desk!!!!! They offered to move us to another room and made up excuses about the balcony door letting bugs in as if we let the roaches in from outside. We stayed because we didnt want to take a chance on it being worse on in another room or me having to clean again! We decided to sleep on it and took down the general managers name and was told he would be in the next morning at 10 am. Long story short, we demanded a refund and checked out a day early. Hotels.com is going to reimburse us for 1 day (we paid for the one we stayed). We will never stay here again and the beach isn't all its cracked up to be either. Extremely dirty, dark brown sand, no seashells, and brown, murky water. Watch out for the homeless people that live along the seawall. Galveston looks like it may have been a nice place to visit back in the 70's and 80's. Not worth the money at all. Take your cash somewhere else!! You will be glad you did!

Room Tip: if you must stay, as for a room on the top floor on either the east or west side. if you stay on th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monique_Wood

Travellers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Reviewed 17 September 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel because it was pretty close to the beach and was also reasonably priced. When we first entered our room, I was pleasantly surprised. The decor matched the pictures I saw online. However, when I took the covers off one of the beds, there were stains on the sheets. I called and asked to have them replaced, but no one ever came. Also, I forgot to bring a shower cap and when I requested one, I was rudely told that there was a Walmart down the street. I was also told that if I wanted new towels that I would have to come downstairs with the used ones to receive fresh towels. I have never encountered a front desk staff that was so rude, nor have I ever been to a hotel that functions in this manner. Overall, I would recommend staying at one of the other hotels, such as the Holiday inn or San Luis resort. They might be a bit pricy, but I enjoyed my stay at those hotels. If you decide to go ahead and stay here, I really hope your stay is better than mine, because mine was pretty awful.

1 Thank sight_s3eker
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed at this Baymont last year 2010, and left a great review on tripadvisor. However this trip was not as good, guess they slipped a little. The only staff who knew English was the front desk. Go ahead, ask a housekeeper for an extra towel, or to clean you room early. They are not cleaning near as good as last year. Our bathroom was dirty { some one"s hair in sink / tub } as was most of the hotel. Breakfast room was dirty and every man for himself and no one was around to clean or refill items. The point is I know Baymont"s are usually good to stay at,,this one fell short this time. It was still fairly comfortable..just dirty. Note to management : Hire English or at least bi-lingual housekeepers and teach them how to clean.

Spring, Texas
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I didn't get what i paid for,and Blacks stay away from this property,because i didn't feel welcome.I notice on check-out day all the back of the property was filled with Black and Hispanic families. I wonder who was the the front of the property? i felt like i was in the sixties.The property is not on the beech like the pic on the web site. I wasted 280$ good dollars in a year where cash is needed not wasted.

3 Thank monk4life
Missouri
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Ants in the room (not just a little - but a lot), crawling all over the floor and some in the sheets. One whole side of the hotel overlooks a rundown cemetery with many tombstones and crypts knocked over and vandalized. Creepy view at night. Though the cemetery does not affect the room at all (beyond the view), I mention it because some people may not want to stay so close to a cemetery. The general maintenance of the hotel was average to poor. The walls were scuffed in many places in the hallways, and where they were repainted, the touch-up paint was not always the same color or sheen as the original. So the overall effect was that the walls seemed splotchy. Upon arriving to check-in, the signs on the front door seemed hostile, insisting that guests dry off before entering hotel. While I can appreciate the desire of the hotel to make it easier to maintain their property's cleanliness, the same idea of drying off and keeping the spaces clean could have been communicated using more polite wording than what was written on a computer printout and taped to the front door. The front desk staff were unwelcoming (except for one girl - very nice). The other co-worker was busy talking rudely to a caller who was inquiring about getting a room. When the caller hung up on the Baymont employee (I'm guessing because she was rude), the employee proceeded to talk negatively about the caller in front of guests. Two positives about this hotel were that it was close to the beach (you can walk to it easily), and the free breakfast in the morning. Don't expect eggs and bacon - just waffles, cereal, milk, yogurt, danish, and bagels. But for most people that is going to be enough to get you a satisfying morning meal.

1 Thank PixieStickQueen