“Never Again the Most Unprofessional Staff we have ever encountered.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Galveston

Hampton Inn & Suites Galveston
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
New Orleans
“Never Again the Most Unprofessional Staff we have ever encountered.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2007

We book the stay with our HitonHonors points and boy, do we wish we had gone to Austin. Our " gulf view" suite over looked the Wal-Mart parking lot. The pool was basically in the parking lot with no landscaping or anything. But that is not the bad part.

When I stepped into the shower 2 used dirty washcloths fell from the shower curtain into the tub. Now, this made me worry had anything been cleaned? I mentioned this to the front desk as we went to breakfast . The desk agent said, "I'll let them know." No apology No nothing. She even asked " well do you want your room cleaned today?" It was 8:15 am. We went to breakfast returned at 11:00.Our room had not been cleaned. During the 2 hours we were in the room there was no knock from housekeeping.
We left to go out for the day and returned at 5:30 to dress for dinner. Our room had not been cleaned! I again went to the desk . To say that the desk clerk , the same one from the morning, was nasty is an understatement. I was told that they were still cleaning rooms and that if they weren't meeting my expectations I should check out and make a reservation elsewhere. This person who refused to give me her name when I asked,(She stated she didn't have to) turns out to be the propterty manager Dawn Romero.
We travel appoximately 160 nights per year on business. NEVER have we been treated with such disregard.

This amenities of this hotel are low end. As another reviewer noted there are no towel racks and you have to dress in the bathroom because of the placement of the vanity (it is open to the rest of the room )

We have notified Hiton and are awaiting a full refund of the 70,000 points we used to stay in this subpar hotel and be treated poorly.

• Liked — the earl grey at breakfast was the only highlight
  • Disliked — I would recommend this hotel to NO ONE
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
11 Thank nolatraveler07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2007

I stay at Hilton brand properties a lot when travelling, and typically look for a Hilton brand hotel (Hilton, Hampton, etc.) first when traveling. Therefore, when booking a weekend trip to Galveston, anticipated that this almost-new Hampton within walking distance to the Seawall was a good find. Unfortunately we found ourselves, while not disappointed, certainly underwhelmed. Following summarizes the good and bad:

The location is deceptive. When booking, I looked at the maps and figured that, at about 500 ft. from the Seawall with a stoplight, crosswalk and stairs to the Seawall, this would be a great location to walk to the beach. The seawall at this location, however, is not a beach -- you have to go another 1/4 mile east to get down to a beach, meaning we drove anyway.

We booked a king suite to have more room for the family. I believe it was my error, but I thought the room had a balcony -- only one side of the hotel has balconies, and our room did not. My confusion was a room description that stated "balcony with ocean view" for certain suites; I presumed that the others had balconies w/o the view. Not a major loss in my opinion as the balconies overlooked the Wal Mart across the street, so your ocean view was across the parking lot past the Sonic.

The room was nice, new, well-appointed, none of the mold and grunge that can accumulate at older properties in Galveston. Comfortable bed. TV w/ built-in DVD. Our room had a hide-a-bed which was (as with most) only suitable for kids. Some things that struck me as odd, though: 1) No towel racks anywhere in the bathroom or sink area (a few hooks were provided); 2) No clothes line or other method of hanging up wet swimsuits or similar (there's no balcony to hang over the railing, remember, and the whole point of going to Galveston is to swim); 3) while there is a door to the tub/toilet, there is no door to the adjacent sink area, so you will find yourself changing clothes in the toilet.

The hotel in general is, again, new and nicely appointed. Breakfast was typical hotel fare, including one hot entree each morning. Pool was clean, although pool hours were enforced with a locked gate. Pool is also isolated, adjacent to a ground floor parking lot.

Weight room is a misnomer -- it's a treadmill, bike and elliptical. All are new however.

Staff was curteous and tried to be helpful. Cleaning staff does not arrive until 9:00 am, so an early-moring request had to be deferred until 9:00; however, staff arrived quickly after that time.

Your Hilton Honors membership means little here, it will not get you the usual complementary bottle of water, late check-out, etc. Not even a paper to the room, because they do not provide a weekend paper.

Bottom line, Hampton rarely disappoints me, this one did. Suggest that there are better properties for the same or less money on the Island, with better beach access.

• Disliked — Beach access from hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
18 Thank sjmtexas