“Great value”

SpringHill Suites Galveston Island
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed here the night before a cruise. The value was good for the money we paid, the staff was friendly and it was convenient to the cruise port. It was right off the highway and easy to find. Was in walking distance from a little bay area and the sunset was beautiful from this vantage point.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Being on the coastal area I expected the rooms to be a little musty but the rooms are extremely bad. The hotel staff are extremely rude especially the front desk.

I was extremely disappointed in the two nights we stayed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank arw195651
Reviewed 26 August 2013

came down to visit family and the hotel has the perfect placement since im sure im not the only one that wants to get out of the car as soon as possible after a long road trip. the service at the front desk was excellent; the staff was polite and helpful as they checked me in to my room. when i got to my room it was so clean and neat that i felt bad when i tossed my bag down and fell into the soft bed. i would definately recommend staying here, i know i'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2013

First let me say that I did not pay a lot for this room. That was hard to understand when I booked this hotel. I have stayed at a few Springhill Suites and this one was a little (actually a lot) overdue for a renovation.

This is an older property and everything showed it's age. It was clean though, and I looked closely but needs a fresh coat of paint, the grout cleaned, the furniture wood it nicked up and all metal had that rust that you see from salt air. Breakfast was average with minimum selection, only one waffle iron. But again I feel the hotel knows this and that is why the rooms are at a much lower rate than other locations.

So for the $61 that I paid I must stop complaining. And for that price I would go again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SATXtraveler55
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This hotel was great for the price. It is a short drive to the beach and all the major shopping and dining. The indoor pool is nice and the water was heated while the pool area was kept cool. Breakfast was good but it was very warm in the dining area. The staff was very nice and attentive except for one particular incident. We asked the male clerk where is the best place to find shells for the kids and he simply said "the beach." I thought he was being a bit of a smart aleck since we already knew that the beach has seashells. What we were looking for would be something like "Go down past 51st street", or go to such and such beach. Other than that, we'll be back.

Room Tip: This hotel was great for the price. The indoor pool is nice and the water was heated while the pool...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a quick weekend escape. I am a Marriott rewards member and paid for the stay with points. Their website indicated the rates for that weekend were near $300 per night. It is definitely not worth that price. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon about 1:30pm and our room was ready. The desk clerk told me were upgraded to a balcony room on the 4th floor. The elevator was a little slow, but it really was no bother to us. I noticed it was a little warm in our room, but figured it was just typical Texas summer heat. We unpacked out bags and went out for a light lunch. When we returned to our room about 4pm, I noticed when I opened the door to our room, it was cooler in the hallway. I made sure before we left the curtains were closed and the thermostat was lowered so it would be comfortable when we returned. It just never really cooled off. We left again about 8pm to take a drive down the seawall and I stopped at the desk and expressed my concern about the room not cooling. When we returned again about 10:30pm, there was a box fan on in the corner of the bedroom. It did help quite a bit in cooling so we slept well. My husband noticed a hotel staff member carrying a fan to another room on our same floor the next morning.

Breakfast was very good with a nice variety of hot and cold food as well as an assortment of fruits and pastries.

We asked for a late checkout and they told us 12:30pm was the latest they could take. I think the regular checkout is 12:00pm. We drove about 10 minutes to the beach and enjoyed our time there.

The location of the property was not a problem for us. We noticed that all of the hotels along the seawall were extremely busy and parking could be a mess.

Overall, I would give this hotel a good rating. We had issues, but they were addressed. I would probably stay again on future trips.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank texgal
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I chose the Springhill Suites for our stay due to it's proximity to the Moody Gardens area but at a reasonable price. The hotel is located just off the highway as you come onto Galveston island so it is not by the ocean but it was just a short 10 minute drive to get there. There is a Target and other stores close by. The rooms were clean and everything was in good repair. The space was nice with the sleeping area separated from the "living" area. The bed was comfortable but I could tell that the "pillowtop" was indented on my side of the bed. There was also a bar area with a sink, microwave and fridge (no freezer section). The breakfast had good variety with pastry items, waffles, eggs, sausage, cereals and fruit. The hot food was hot and everything appeared fresh. The pool area was clean with a small indoor heated pool and whirlpool. The exercise space was small with only 2 treadmills and an elliptical but had a tv, water and towels.
As mentioned in previous reviews, the elevator was pretty slow so we used the stairs the majority of the time (we were only on the 2nd floor) and I could see where room 116 would be noisy as it was sharing a wall with the breakfast prep area. All in all, a great stay for the price if you just need a good place to stay and don't require being by the beach.

Room Tip: Avoid room 116 and if wanting a balcony with a view, that can be requested.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family