“Even if you have to pay more - stay somewhere else!”

SpringHill Suites Galveston Island
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 7 November 2010

My friend and I stayed here for the Lonestar Motorcycle Rally and were extremely disappointed with the service. The room was nice enough looking - on the surface, but when we got up and made coffee in our room the first morning, we discovered there were live bugs in the coffee pot and they had been there long enought to lay eggs! They were also all over the tray that the coffee maker, cups and drinking glasses were sitting on. We had drank out of the glasses the night before! When I called the front desk and told them about it, they were apologetic and I told them that under the circumstances I thought it would be nice if they would have someone bring some free coffee to our room for us. I was informed there were only 2 people currently working in the hotel - the desk clerk and the person preparing the buffet breakfast and they had no one who could help us. We had to take the "buggie" coffee pot and tray down to the lobby ourselves to get it out of our room! When we gave it to the desk clerk, we asked that the maid clean the room real good and make sure the bug problem was taken care of. We happen to come back to the room when the maid was cleaning and asked her if she had been told about the problem and she had not been informed of any problems in our room, but was very apologetic and went ahead and cleaned it well. When we returned for the evening, the manager had left a few dollars worth of chips and granola bars along with a note that he was sorry for the incovenience and he had given us $30 off of the room price for 1 of the 2 nights we were staying there. First of all, the regular rate for this room was $119 according to the website; however, due to the rally they were charging $189, so even with the discount this hotel was making $40 over their normal rate. When we checked out and finally got to talk to the manager and told him we were very displeased he really didn't act like he cared and was not willing to give us any additional discount. After talking with him further, he begrudgingly gave us a $99 rate for one night., so they still made money over their normal rate for the time we stayed there. The general manager also was very uncooperative when we asked for his supervisor's name and phone number. My friend and I left and will take this up with their corporate headquarters and the actual owner of the hotel. And yes, our room was also very close to the freeway and very noisy!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank SusanB023

Reviewed 9 October 2010

We had one night to get away and chose to go to Galveston. As a Marriott Rewards Member I tend to stay exclusively at Marriotts but I'd never been to Galveston and booked this room based on the website. I booked this room at the Springhill Suites and paid $50.00 more for a room with a view. "You'll enjoy a fabulous view of Moody Gardens from the balcony of some of our suites. (Direct quote from the website.) I don't know what kind of telephoto lens they were using to photograph the bay, but if you look at my photographs you may think twice about paying for a "room with a view" or staying at this hotel that plays fast and loose with truth. Additionally there are 9 lanes of freeway less than 100 feet from my room with a view NOISY doesn't even begin to describe it. Ugh. Any loyalty I felt to Marriott is OVER!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tchnlrn
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I was a bit afraid to stay here after reading reviews but we were going to a funeral, had Marriott rewards cheques, this is the only Marriott in Galveston and we had already booked. Okay, so the front desk rep had to ask for help to input our credit. Other than that check in and out went fine, and they were friendly. It's not on the water, no great views, thought the freeway noise might disturb our rest but we slept fine. There was fake eggs but a variety of other foods too, oatmeal, yogurt, waffles.
The nice size room was clean, nicely decorated, A/C was fine, bed was comfortable, no bad smells, no bugs, extra towels. The indoor pool is right next to the lobby, didn't use it but it looked nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights before a cruise. We stayed on points, so that might explain why we got the worst room, even as gold members. The decor is current which is nice, and the staff was very nice. They even gave us free stamps for our postcards. Breakfast was great for what is expected. Unfortunately, the hotel was built cheap. Leaks in the shower, sloppy construction, cheap windows that let all the highway noise in all night. Makes it hard to sleep. Also has outdated TVs and the air conditioning rattles. TV is in a bad spot so you can't sit in bed and watch very easily. Not a bad place, but feels more like Marriott's Fairfield Inn brand than the Springhill Suites.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kc5cbt
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We must have hit it at the right time because we had a lovely time in this hotel.
We were impressed with Galveston and The Strand has absolutely lovely houses.
But....the hotel. We did not have any problems with this at all. Breakfast was set out very nicely. Bed was clean and comfortable.
Do need a car though as it is an easy 5 minute drive to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flsurg
Reviewed 4 May 2010

The remote for the tv didn't work at all. My husband went down twice and still didn't work. When he went to the front desk with my little girl and the girl there was very rude. Sadly my little one had to see someone being nasty to her dad...UNCALLED FOR! Our girls did not get to watch tv at all. The comforter was nasty and dirty. The beds are terrible. I talked to the hotel manager and when I saw (Indian or pakistan man) I knew I wouldn't even get a penny back. SHAME ON YOU for stealing my good money! SHAME ON YOU running a property that is dirty.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Cruising_familyof5
Reviewed 10 November 2009

When we first checked in, we had problems gettting the rooms we wanted. We had reserved 2 connecting rooms, but there had been a miscommunication and we were given rooms across the hall--not an option as we were travelling with small children. The rooms were fine and clean (although both with double beds--why do hotels do that?). In fact there was no black residue on the bottom of our white socks as you often find in hotels. After dinner on teh first night we came back to find one of the rooms stinking of something rotten-like cooked cabbage or something dead. The manager said-let the air conditioner run, it will go away. Are you kidding me? The smell did not go away and it was quickly approaching bedtime for our children. We insisted on changing rooms and were given the ones directly below. The rooms were just as clean (one little bug in the bathroom--never saw anything else -and I was looking!). The rooms were also roomy with plenty of space to play.

As for the noise, it was much worse in the 3rd floor rooms. We finally discovered that one room had missing weather-stripping around the "balcony" door and the other room had a working window that did not slide closed well enough for the locks to click into place.

The hotel does not have any highchairs!!!!! (Why would you have cribs on hand but no highchairs???)

Location is off the highway as others have said. It only took us about 10 minutes to get to Moody Gardens or the Seawall and a little longer to get to the Strand area.

I would recommend this hotel for a short-inexpensive stay, but if you're looking for something fabulous, this is not it.

As for Galveston itself--we nwere there in the off-season but during a huge teachers conference. I cannot tell you how shocked we were by the paltry selection of restaurants for a supposedly hot tourist location. We ended up eating in the same restaurants for several of the meals. Service was iffy everywhere.

BEST PART OF OUR TRIP----The donuts at Homecuts are absolutely amazing. I don't know why, but I've never had a better powdered sugar cake donut.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business