“A Destination Dining Must!”
Review of Pelican Club - CLOSED

Pelican Club
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As an east coast resident, I heard about this restaurant through some friends who had recently traveled to the Galveston area and sampled the cuisine. I made it a point to make a reservation when I knew that I would be in the area, and I was not disappointed. All of the staff that I encountered were incredibly welcoming, friendly, and personable, and my enjoyment throughout the evening was clearly at the top of their list. The atmosphere was also memorable, and I particularly liked how the table could be secluded from others by the simple drawing of sheer curtains between the tables. As far as the food is concerned, it was undoubtedly one of the best meals of my life. Chef Warhol's culinary talents were highlighted in the taste and presentation of his dishes, and the ingredients used were nothing short of incredible. I would have never guessed that the chef was as young as he is when he came out to the table to introduce himself, because his cuisine tasted like that of a seasoned chef who has worked for decades to perfect his craft. His fusion of molecular gastronomy and farm-to-table concepts left me speechless and ready to make another reservation for the following night. For the majority of the meal, the only word I could utter was "wow." This is a MUST for anyone traveling to the Galveston/Houston area. I will most definitely be back next time I'm in town!

Management response:Responded 14 July 2014

We are so happy to hear about your experience! We always aim to deliver a superior experience, and it's so nice to hear when we succeed. Thank you for sharing!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Let me say that I am a huge supporter of this group and have been a card caring member for many years of the Pelican Club.

But a big "Thumbs Down" on the new venture. My guest and I exited after a poor presentation of food and at the end Horrible Service from the " Maitre D" I actually dismissed him....never ever have I done that! Wow!

I've waited for 3 months for the grove to get together and heard all the negatives.
Tonight I experienced " The Club"

1. Alcohol increase in price. ..Beer was $4.50....now $6.00
2. Waitstaff no longer the trained Gaidos people...at least the good ones moved on
3. Salads....Heirloom....SHAVED cucumber, tomatoes and maybe some lettuce....but they
tell you all about the "Expensive Champagne Dressing" OK where's the salad?
4.SORRY GIVE ME A BREAK!

This was a good establishment at the back of a busy restaurant.
You guys have jacked this up.
It's not too late.
Cut your losses on the chef.....many have done it, and return to your roots.
I know accounting is telling you the same thing!

5  Thank tm100
Management response:Responded 14 July 2014

We are so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience at Pelican Club. We take the feedback from all of our guests seriously, especially a loyal member like you. I appreciate you sharing your concerns so that I can bring them to the attention of our management.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I usually don't write reviews for anything but my experience at the Pelican Club tonight was so perfect that I simply had to put it out there. I've been a 'island by choice' for several years now and this club was members only the whole time. They have recently revamped the place and opened it to the public. (And thank God they did.) They have a new chef who simply does wonders with food. My party and i had a 12 course meal (not including the snacks at the beginning) and I can honestly say there was not a single bite that was unenjoyable. The scallops were fresh and cooked to perfection; the buffalo seared to a beautiful medium rare and the lump crab tostado was simply mouth watering. We also had hot and cold margaritas that will put any margarita on the island to shame-even the Spot's "island famous". There is nothing quite like them. Everything else could have gone wrong and with just the food the night would have been made. However, it didn't. Our waiter Arthur was a delight. He was very professional, answered all our questions and was around just enough without being a typical overbearing server. The atmosphere is quiet and very relaxing. This place is a must for date night or a quiet evening with the family. Although a little difficult to locate (it hides behind the hundred year old Giado's-also an very nice restaurant with phenominal bread pudding among many other things) but it is most definitely worth the effort. Five stars to the chef, the Gaido's family for making this finally available to the public and all the rest of the staff who were most courteous. My date and I, as well as the couple we came with had an amazing and memorable time. I can not wait to visit again.

2  Thank RedSchott
Jason O, General Manager at Pelican Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you so much for the kind words! We are so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience. I hope you'll all come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I recently had the pleasure of experiencing the newly revamped Pelican Club.

Beginning with walking through the door and seeing the beautiful bar area, the supper club atmosphere is so pretty with a beautiful color scheme.

Our waitress was very knowledgeable of each and every course and was very attentive throughout our whole evening.

Chef Warhol is an exceptionally creative young chef. I experienced new culinary tastes I had not tried before. Beginning with the smoked trout salad which was so delicious, the gnocchi literally melts in your mouth. On to a beautiful piece of haddock which was the best fish I have ever tasted. Do not miss trying Chef's unique take on carrot cake, simply delicious. Each and every course is art on a plate.

A truly fine dining experience which I could not stop talking about for weeks. Continued success for all involved in this endeavor. It is exceptional.

Jason O, General Manager at Pelican Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review! We always aim to exceed our guests expectations, and it's so nice to hear that we succeeded. We hope you'll come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Dining at the Pelican Club is a must for anyone who wants an excellent dining experience in Galveston. As with any great restaurant, the food takes top priority. The freshness of the ingredients was immediately evident as each plate was presented. The creativity of the Chef and the entire kitchen's attention to detail made each bite of each course a treat. The staff was able to run the small dining area quickly, efficiently, and with great service without intruding on anyone's dinner or making the room feel rushed or cramped. Simply put, there is not another restaurant like this on Galveston Island. I have had a handful of truly excellent dining experiences, and the dinner my wife and I had at the Pelican Club was one. The next day we made plans to visit Galveston at least once a quarter so we can try the Chef's revolving menu.

On top of the restaurant, I have to talk about the bar. It is huge! If you can't get a table at the restaurant, ask about the seating at the bar. There are plenty of tables big enough to comfortably seat a group to eat off the bar menu. I took a look at the bar menu after dinner and it looks amazing. If you can't get a table, I would definitely swing by to sit in the bar and grab some smaller plates.

1  Thank Beamwalker

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed everything and excited to have a couple of new regulars!