“Delicious Anniversary Dinner”

Riondo's Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Riondo's Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 329 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chef Rico prepares fresh pasta, bread, mozzarella cheese and stocks daily. Restaurant is located in the oldest bank building in Texas. Also was one of the first insurance buildings in the country. Riondos Ristorante was named "Best New" restaurant in Galveston County 2015. We offer an exceptional wine list and a full bar. We have a private room for Rehearsal Dinners and Business functions.
Reviewed 21 December 2017

My husband and I picked this restaurant to have our Anniversary dinner this past Sunday while on a quick overnight getaway. It's one of the few places that offer dishes without shellfish in every entree (I'm allergic), was reasonably priced, and serves bananas foster flambé. We popped in during the day just to see what the ambiance was like and it was nice so, we just showed up later for dinner as it was a Sunday. The restaurant was dimly lit, had candles and soft music when we arrived - perfect setting. There were a few other couples inside but not crowded. We were sat right away. The host and waitress were very friendly and attentive. We were brought a basket of bread with evoo and balsamic reduction for dipping. They make their own bread and it was great. My husband ordered a jack and Coke and I ordered the Italian Margarita, which I highly recommend. My husband tasted it and said "I should have ordered that!" The waitress was friendly and in our conversation we told her it was our Anniversary. I ordered the pollo picatta and the hubby ordered spaghetti and meatballs with meat sauce. The picatta was the best I've ever had and the scalloped potatoes were delicious. My husband said the spaghetti was good. The waitresses timing was perfect and she wasn't overly attentive or slow. The dinner moved at a nice relaxing pace. I love bananas foster and decided before we even ordered anything that I was having dessert! In between dinner and dessert, the waitress brought out some bread pudding and said that was their gift to us for our Anniversary. Very sweet of them and good too. The bananas foster arrived and it says tableside service but really they just light it table side which was ok with me. The bananas were fresh and oh so good. When we got the bill it was a nice surprise, less than I expected it to be. We will definitely return to eat here in the future when we visit Galveston.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 6 December 2017

This is a very nice looking restaurant in The Strand district of Galveston right around the corner from The Tremont Hotel we were staying at this past weekend. It had mostly good reviews online and so we booked it for Saturday evening. We were seated promptly at the time of our reservation and our server showed up almost before the hostess left and asked us what we wanted to drink. We asked her to give us a few minutes to look at the wine list to see which wines were offered by the glass since my wife and I usually order different varietals. She left and went to take an order from another table. After about 5 or more minutes I noticed her standing at the bar talking to the bartender while waiting for him to prepare the other table’s drink order. She just stood there until she got their order and delivered the drinks. She then went to yet another table that had been seated after us and repeated the same process of taking their order and then waiting at the bar until it was ready instead of circling back to us to see if we had selected our wines. Finally after delivering the order from the other table she came back to us to take our order and by the time our wines arrived we had been seated for more than 20 minutes. She then asked what we wanted to eat and only after I inquired about off-the-menu specials did she recite them. She was not sure of the prices for the specials so we decided to stick to menu items.

My wife ordered the chicken piccata dish which she said was just ok with tough chicken. But she said her scalloped potatoes were excellent. I ordered the Spaghetti Bolognese with meat sauce and meatballs but received the Spaghetti Pomadora (just tomato sauce) and meatballs. I sent it back to get what I had ordered and instead of making me a new dish the kitchen simply added meat sauce to the existing dish which made the entire entree a mess of Spaghetti floating in way too much watered down sauce which was disappointing for sure. By this time my wife was finishing her meal so I just ate the meatballs (which were very good) and tried to pick out the Spaghetti without the watered down sauce and basically just gave up and quit.

So while most of our troubles were server related which might not affect other diners, the kitchen being too lazy to redo a simple Spaghetti order is a larger issue in my opinion. We might try Riondo’s again but there are a lot of places to dine in The Strand so it might be awhile before we return.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Our first impression of Riondo's gave us hope for an exceptional dining experience. It has lovely ambiance and friendly helpful servers. However, as the meal progressed, and the waitperson got busier, the level of service declined markedly.

The two entrees alone plus two glasses of wine, plus tax and tip, added up to yet another $100. Galveston dinner. However, both entrees were lackluster in taste. I ordered the seafood ravioli, in a rich creamy sauce, but then there was confusion about the stuffing content, which was disappointing & over sold. My husband's cioppino seafood stew was merely seafood atop pasta. Not enough broth to make it a stew. All in all, the dining experience was underwhelming.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

This place is hidden on the Strand. Quaint little restaurant with great atmosphere and great food. Attentive staff, such good food and wine! The crab stuffed bellas and the scallops were out of this world. Pasta primavera was delicious.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Always tasty! The wine offerings are good, and the ambiance is lovely! We always get the sampler appetizer -- great way to start with lots of fresh goodies (cheese, meat, veggies, breads, olives, etc). My favorite dish is the pasta primavera-- it never disappoints.