“Wonderful weekend!”

Coppersmith Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Galveston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is one of the best bed and breakfast Ron and I have stayed at in Galveston! Ellen is a perfect host and a wonderful cook! We love her two dogs and the neighborhood is quite, but within walking distance to the beach. There is a great neighborhood restaurant right around the corner and of course 'The Strand' is not far either!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to have a unique quality. There are two guest houses and one room in the main...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 January 2012

The Coppersmith was a warm, accomodating Bed and Breakfast. Ellen runs her inn with warmth and a terrific eye for interior design. Three rooms inside with a carriage and a cottage room outside. Location is terrific and breakfast superb. Have made reservations for another visit!!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The Coppersmith Inn is a 125 year old Victorian house that has been substantially refurbished since Ike put several feet of water over the first floor in September 2008. It is furnished and decorated primarily with antiques. It is located convenient to many attractions of historic Galveston, but transportation is necessary unless you like to hike. Ellen and her mother Betty run the show. Both are intelligent, out-going, and delightful. They willingly gave us information about things to do and places to go in Galveston. Their assessements of local eateries matched ours. We had five breakfasts with them, and there was consistency yet variety in every meal. We were served with crystal bowls, antique Noritake china, and nickel silver flatware. If you want only a room and a meal, you can stay at a motel. If you want an experience, select the Coppersmith Inn!

Room Tip: We had the "Cottage," which has king-sized bed, large bathroom, and a "den" jus...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The Dogs were probably the most welcoming part. I actually stayed during a business trip and may not have been able to enjoy the full extent of the bed and breakfast because of that. Before arrival a call was placed to my company wondering where i was because others were inquiring about the room, when as far as i know, the room had been reserved and paid. I found the owners mom to be not be so friendly upon arrival... to the point of being cold ( I could have just caught the wrong impression). I was relieved to meet the daughter who i believe to be the owner. Much more welcoming and seemed to care for the happiness of guests, unlike my arrival. The house was lovely and nice in itself but I do believe for the room I stayed in (jasmine garden room) it was a bit over priced at 165 a night. Beds were not made daily (once again may just be typical for B&B that i'm unaware of). I made breakfast once because i was told by the mother i needed to let her know ahead of time if i would be joining ( the daughter seemed to be more lax on this but still made me uncomfortable) and Breakfast was to die for. lovely! Also never got a passcode for advertised free internet, but could have found someone if i had time to look for it. All in all my experience may have been different under different circumstances!

Room Tip: Garden rooms are not private but in the main house
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BrittanyJadeH
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I LOVE dogs, but the dogs at the Coppersmith could be a problem for people who don't love them as much as I do. They get on the sofa and chairs and growl if you try to move them and one of them left a "present" in one of our rooms. I think the owners should let people know ahead of time about the dogs. Also we were there for 2 nights and our rooms were not straightened up after the first night. The place is lovely and the breakfasts are GREAT! Ellen and her Mom are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gmom64
Reviewed 22 February 2010

My wife treated me to a birthday weekend in Galveston this February. We had a wonderful stay at the Coppersmith. The owner and her staff (her friendly mom) made sure we were well fed and comfortable. I highly recommend the inn for a quiet and relaxing weekend.

Rod and Ondina, Houston, TX

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Located on a lovely quiet street, the Coppersmith in is a gem -if a little bit rough. The owners are very friendly, full of information, with two cute little dogs - which helped me with my homesickness over my own dogs - our room had a great balcony - I think we spent most of our time out there! Breakfast was huge and everyone had a good time talking round the table. Other b&b's I've been to have separate tables but this was friendly and cozy with one big "family" table. We had a ropmantic night out and came back to our room to decorated chocolates and fruit on a silver tray and champange with romantic music playing (except the player got stuck so we turned it off - only glitch) and 'candlelight" (the pretend kind - real candles would be dangerous in an old home like this!). As it is the owners home, they had grandchildren( very cute and well behaved!) visit while we were there so if you don't enjoy being part of a family while you're staying then maybe you should try another place. They have a separate Cottage which was more private and I would love to stay there when I can stay for a longer visit.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple