“Very good retreat”

Coppersmith Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 11 Galveston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed two nights in the little house in the backyard. Wish we could have stayed longer. Ellen and her dogs were great hosts. Location is good as you can walk to the beach but also to the old part of the city. Definitively recommend. Must have more character than the big chains at the beach.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lindaomika

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We just returned from our stay at Coppersmith and our first time at a B&B. It was our 15th anniversary celebration and my husband surprised me with this stay as I've always wanted to try a B&B.

We stayed in one of the private cottages, Clara's, in the back of the house. The main house was beautiful and Ellen's makes an amazing breakfast, which she serves up promptly at 9 am. The breakfast was the best part of our stay!

The cottage was clean, the bed was older and just ok, but the linens were very nice. The cottage was very, very quiet as it's made from plaster. Loved that.

I did have a problem sleeping as there are four 8 foot windows in the bedroom and they only have shear lace curtains on them. One of the windows has two shades that cover the whole window but the other three only cover the bottom half of the window. (We didn't know that there was an upper shade on one window until I mentioned the problem to Ellen on the second day of our stay.)

The first night, the main house porch light was on all night shining directly into our bedroom making the bedroom almost as light as during the day. The next night, I asked Ellen if we could turn the porch light off during the night. She did and that helped. Unfortunately, sunrise is 7:15 am and the sun comes blaring through the window :) so no sleeping late or naps here. For us, there needs to be a way to darken the room when we are sleeping, but maybe that's just us.

There is a small salon area with small refrigerator and table with two chairs. (Just be careful going in there in your jammies when there are guests in the two story cottage next door. They can see you from their balcony as there is no shade on the salon window that faces that balcony.)

I did notice that their website said that there was wine and cheese and during our stay, we did not see any indication of this. I also was not able to get the wi-fi in the cottage but it was no big deal to us, just thought I would mention in case anyone was counting on that.

I would say that this would be a perfect place for a girlfriend weekend. Perhaps, all staying in rooms in the house. With the living room downstairs to gather in, it might be fun.

Room Tip: Ask a lot of questions and make sure the room that you are looking at meets your needs before going.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Solosailorgirl
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed there August 2013 - the Victoria room in the main house. I have never stayed at a B&B that made me feel so special and appreciated. The room was beautiful, bed and linens were extremely comfortable. The home is centrally located to main attractions (and walkable). Neighborhood was quiet and friendly. The Innkeeper, Ellen knows pretty much everything about Galveston and offered many suggestions when I asked. She serves delicious, plentiful gourmet breakfasts. The rooms have their own bathrooms that are stocked with high quality amenities, a GOOD hair dryer and even makeup removing towellets so leave that stuff at home. There is even a hospitality room that has coffee, wonderful teas, bottled water, and wine for guests! Tons of current DVD's for everyone to use and great books for your pleasure. Other guests were there for "special occasions" and families. I loved visiting with them during breakfast. I felt like I was part of a loving family. It was the best thing that I have done for myself in a long time. You should go!

Room Tip: If you are with children (or handicapped - stairs lead to the rooms in the main home) you might want...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank likesgooddining
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We visited in May 2013 and stayed in one of the private cottages (Clara's) out in the back garden (behind the main house). A moss covered path leads back to it and there is a small covered deck, replete with string lights that add a certain magical feel at night. This B&B is so charming and clean. I AM a very discriminating traveler and we loved it so much that we are sending my mom and dad there for their Anniversary. The cottage was spacious, had it's own private "hospitality den" with microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker. Yes, there IS free wi-fi for those of you who cannot disconnect from your j-o-b, but wouldn't you rather enjoy a cup of coffee on the porch?? As others have mentioned, Ellen (and her mom) are amazing hosts, full of infomation and recommendations and most of all, Ellen knows just how much attention to give you. Breakfast was DIVINE... no other words but yummmm! If I lived next door to Coppersmith, I would pay Ellen a fee to join in on her cooking every day - NOT joking. We were able to see the rooms in the main house and I have asked my hubs to book the Victorian Rom for my B-Day in December. That room has a private veranda (it is on the 2nd floor of the house) and a fireplace. Yipee, I can hardly wait. I will post photos because some of the paint work has been updated since Hurricane Ike. We liked the updates even better than the photos on the Coppersmith Inn website. We are from Dallas, have very demanding jobs and our stay was a welcome escape. There are so many things to do in Galveston, from historic sites, the beach, shopping, railroad museum OR just relax in your room. Either way, you WILL be glad you picked THIS Inn - I PROMISE.

Room Tip: The 2 Cottage rooms/suites (Clara's & The Carriage House) offer a private porch entrance. Th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shauna_marcum
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Ellen is awesome! My wife and I have twin babies and wanted to celebrate our 5th year anniversary close to home but far enough away to have a different surroundings. We went to the coppersmiths inn for the night in Galveston and was amaizied in the different themed rooms and the amaizing big country breakfast. Ellen and her mother were wonderful. We are already planning on another stay in the near future. I recommend the coppersmiths inn for everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jasonec73
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I was looking for a B&B to have a college reunion and found the Coppersmith Inn. It was perfect, so I went by last July and thought I had made the reservation for 10 people for June 2013 with the understanding that I would keep the owner informed if I didn't need all the rooms. I gave her my credit card number, which Ellen says I never did, and assumed the rooms were ours. I called in early January to check on my reservation,but she couldn't talk because her dog was sick. When Ellen did call back, she informed me that I couldn't expect her to hold rooms when I hadn't given her my credit card and she had booked a wedding for one of my dates. I was speechless. My husband was with me and he saw me give her the card number. I should have reconsidered immediately when her dog jumped on the couch by my husband and bit him when he tried to move it. Better love dogs and keep a close watch on your reservation.

Room Tip: Everything about this B&B is beautiful. All of the rooms are beautifully furnished. Wish me and...
Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Double-check_52
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The moment we entered the Coppersmith Inn, we knew that we were "home" ! Its owner, Ellen Whaley is as welcoming and gracious as her beautiful Victorian house.

The Rose Room was charming in its decor, the linen and the bed absolutely comfortable and the little extras that Ellen provides such as free coffee, sodas, bottled water, wine, peanuts, cookies, etc. are such a nice touch. The breakfast was delicous and served in that magnificient dinning room. Our only regret was that we could not stay longer but we will surely be back (if we can get a reservation... this little gem of B&B is booked long in advance and we now understand why !).

Oh and did I mention that Ellen has also two adorable and very friendly French bulldogs ? we wanted to adopt them but couldn't persuade Ellen ....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple