“Great location but uncomfortable and small”

Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 20 March 2011

You can't beat the location and price with easy access to a cross walk to the beach area and even walking distance to restaurants. Having the kitchen was nice, it wasn't very practical but we did enjoy having the refrigerator very much. The beds are VERY small and very hard. They advertise a queen in the bedroom but it is smaller than any queen I have ever slept in. The buck beds are not "twin" sized either but smaller. The balcony was great, with great views, the heated pool was a great feature. The noise was terrible both nights we were there. The first night we heard tons of slamming doors and noise from the pool area and the beds are closest to the door and the pool. The second night we could hear every movement from the people staying above us (thin walls for sure). Overall I don't think I would stay there again. For our family of 4 it wasn't comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandmsmom

Reviewed 12 March 2011

The hotel was clean. The service was good. We had a room where the refrigerator wasn't cooling, and they immediately switched our room. I loved having a kitchen to save money for breakfast and dinner. We packed picnics for lunch. It is 1/2 mile from Kroger and maybe a mile from Walmart. You can walk across the street and be in the ocean or walk along it. We visited the pool - a bit small but did the trick. Laundry facilities worked nicely - just take change. Loved the balcony facing the ocean!!! This is not luxurious, but very good for an inexpensive fun trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Momof3inOK
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We rented one of the condos for the weekend in September. We rented from a private owner instead of through the hotel. We paid just $80 per night, no taxes, no fees! The condo was great! It had all the conveniences of home. We had 2 adults and 3 teenagers and although small, the place was still roomy enough for all of us. We had a great view of the beach and the gulf. We just had to walk across the street to put our toes in the sand. It was a great trip! We also saved a few bucks by having breakfast and lunch in our condo (full kitchen) instead of eating out.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Heather_and_Matthew
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Casa del Mar boasts a gulf view from every balcony on the property, but they use "gulf view" someone loosely. When I made reservations, I requested a high floor room with a clear gulf view if available, as some reviewers here said they were accommodating to requests. I got a first floor room, next to last in the property at the back of the hotel. The hotel is interestingly built however, as it runs south to north rather than east to west, and is a jagged design with all rooms angled toward the gulf. From my balcony, I had only a half view of the gulf, as the rest was obstructed with parking lot trees. I was a bit disappointed as I expected to have a better view and was hoping to be closer to the front, rather than so far back. Don't expect to listen to the sounds of the gulf either, as the traffic on Seawall Blvd. blocks all of that out. I was just very disappointed with the view after seeing photos on the website. It barely qualified.

The room itself actually wasn't too bad. The furniture was a bit outdated, but still okay. The kitchen seemed decently stocked, not many pots and pans but I'd think it would be enough. Our room had a master bedroom (very, very small but doable for two people), a queen pull-out sofa bed in the living room, and a bunk bed in the hallway. The bunk bed mattresses were fairly low quality and somewhat short, but seemed it would work for kids. The master bedroom bed was terrible. My husband, who very, very rarely complains, said we had never slept on a bed so bad through all our travels. I got only two hours of fitful sleep before I had to get up.

I was surprised that the property was very quiet as far as guests go. Everyone was respectful, quiet on their balconies, no drunken yelling in the middle of the night. The hallways stayed quiet but I think we were in an empty corner with no neighbors. The property was very clean, and front desk staff were polite. I also give the property credit for trying to be environmentally conscious! Our room had a "Clean Remote" for the TV, which is an easy to disinfect and clean remote. There was a tag on the bathroom door asking us to use our towels more than once if we would, to save water and reduce waste water for recycling. This wasn't mandatory, but I thought it was nice they were trying.

Overall, the price is hard to beat for a room on the beach, just expect close to what you pay for. Make a request for a room toward the front of the hotel if you can. I believe there were only roughly 18 rooms actually on Seawall Blvd. looking at the gulf. I wouldn't stay here if you're "getting away for some rest" as I don't think you'll sleep well. It worked for us for one night though, so I'd keep your stay short.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sugardevil
Reviewed 17 October 2010

My mom and I and my three boys 12, 9 & 6 drove to TX to visit relatives and stayed in Galveston. This was our 2nd stay at Casa Del Mar and it was better than the last time. We had 1 bedroom, twin beds, a sofa bed a kitchen with dining table and an ocean view. The room was VERY CLEAN and the staff was very friendly. It was close to the grocery store and just a walk to the beach. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting some "elbow room" while they stay in Galveston Island.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 3JMommy
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I made reservations 2 weeks before my arrival at Galveston and when the day came and I showed up at the front desk I had to wait for some horrifying service , I asked to speak to the guy i had spoken over the phone with and put all my information in the system and said my total was 3 times the price he had told me back then. I was like "that is not possible youo told me something else..." I told him I wanted to cancel and they told my they had put the money back into my account , I called the bank later on and they told my that they had withdrawn about $460 something for my stay wich was only going to be two nights, plus another $300 for another service that I had not received, on my receit they had also put the wrong date as if i had arrived a day before my reservation date... the guy had an attitude with me that he did not have with other costumers, wich was wrong... and i alos think they should have a better place since they charge around $200 per night , I mean the walls are dirty, the employees are not at all welcoming and the carpets are worn out for what I got to see...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank gloria82-10
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We made a spontaneous trip to Galveston and found Casa del Mar online. The location on Seawall Blvd is excellent and the rate was very reasonable ($85/night). It was a short trip, so we decided to go for it. Front desk staff was very friendly at check-in. Free guest parking is great. Rooms are in serious need of an update. Furniture was dated and a bit worn, TVs were very outdated. We didn't really spend much time in the room, so this was not much of an issue, but just speaks to the investment the owners/mgmt are willing to make. Also, noise from loud guests at the pool and in the parking lot was a nuisance, but seemed to stop after about 11pm. Rooms need a major refresh - tile, paint, carpet, etc. It is certainly a great value if you are traveling with a family -- full kitchens and refrigerators, small dinette in each room. For the money, it was adequate, but next time I'd probably spring the extra bucks for a "real hotel".

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple