“Great Views at a spectacular price”

Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Grandaughters and I got this place on Groupon for $99. Wonderful view of the ocean!! The rooms include full kitchen and 1 full bedroom. Additional sleeping included bunk beds that my girls LOVED and a pull out sofa so one of their friends could come with us. 2 pools helped keep them occupied after it got too late to stay on the beach. Would definitely come here again!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nana1003

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in a room at Casa Del Mar recently. Some of the rooms are bascially timeshares that are owned by people but we rented a room directly from Casa Del Mar. I looked into renting a room from an owner because it is considerably cheaper. I decided against it because I saw a few horror stories about the rooms being dirty, poor linens on the beds and people having trouble getting checked in. When I looked at pictures of the regular rooms compared to the rooms owned by people, the regular rooms always looked nicer. Also, it looks like you'd have to pay extra for maid service and for insurance in case something goes wrong. I don't have the best of luck with things like that, so I decided to pay the extra money and rent directly from Casa Del Mar. That way, I wouldn't have to deal with an owner or a third party company if something was wrong.

The front desk staff was very courteous and helpful to me when I checked in. I was helped very quickly after walking in the door. I had other family members that were staying in the same place and they got to Casa Del Mar early, around 2:00 pm. The rooms aren't ready until 4:00 pm, so they had to find something to do until they could check-in-no option was given for early check-in. I arrived after 5:00 pm, so my room was ready.

Since this was a trip with other family members who have small children, Casa Del Mar was a perfect choice. We were all able to stay on the same floor. However, if just my husband and I were traveling by ourselves, I would never stay at Casa Del Mar. Here are the reasons why I think this is perfect for families:

1) My room was pretty clean and we had a nice view of the ocean from our balcony.
2) There is one separate bedroom, two bunk beds in the hall-built into the wall and a couch in the living room that folds out. There are no linens on the couch bed, so you have to ask the front desk for them if you have someone that will be sleeping on the couch. There is enough room for seven people to sleep in one room and for the parents to have their own room. The bunk beds aren't big-only room for one small child on each bed-maybe a small teen.
3) There is a small kitchen with a stove top, oven, microwave, fridge and sink. The kitchen and bathroom both look like they've been recently remodeled. There isn't a whole lot of cookware but you could do low maintenance meals and keep water, milk, etc. in the fridge.
4) There is a nice shower with bathtub in the bathroom.
5) There are trash cans in the hall outside the rooms, so you can dispose of dirty diapers in them-keeping your room from smelling like dirty diapers!
6) There is a nice heated pool on the property.
7) You're in walking distance of several restaurants.
8) The beach is literally across the street.
9) There is a TV in the bedroom and a TV in the living area.

Here's why I would never stay there on my own:

1) Since I rented directly from Casa Del Mar, the room was quite expensive and in my humble opinion, not worth the money.
2) The rooms are VERY small. Even though they can sleep up to 7, there is very little room to actually move around. The bathroom is very small compared to regular hotel bathrooms. The kitchen is tiny-only big enough for one person at a time. The living area is so small they could only fit a two person dining table up against the wall and had to build the bunk beds into the wall. The bed barely fits in the separate bedroom and is pushed up against the wall.
3) I'm really picky about the rooms being clean. This one was pretty good but not the best. There were hairs from someone else on the comforter of the bed but I pulled it off and all the other sheets were very clean. The maid staff just give you more towels, take the used towels, empty the trash and make the bed. Don't expect the bathroom or other areas to be cleaned. Also, one of my "new" towels was dirty.
4) The towels were the thin, cheap kind.
5) Our room was by the pool, so there was lots of noise until 11:00 pm when the pool closes. After that, it does get very quiet.
6) There's only one elevator, so you have to wait forever for it.

Definitely not a bad hotel but for the money, I would rather stay at a hotel with larger rooms that offers a continental breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cyndilovestotravel
tethanks7, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review and have printed your comments for discussion at our next staff meeting. Our motto is: "If we mess up; we fess up and then dress up". So first, please accept our apologies for any problem you experienced and rest assured that each of your comments will be addressed by our management team in an effort always look for ways to improve our service and ultimately, each guest's experience. We have always strived to provide the best possible value for our guests and we will continue to work on any issues that are pointed out in our reviews.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed the week of July 28, 2014. We have three kids 15, 10 and 8 and there was enough sleeping areas for all of us. The kitchen is small but it was enough to room to whip up some small meals (to save a little money). Room was clean and we had a great view of the ocean. The front desk staff where very nice and helpful. We tried to check in early but they weren't ready but at least they were honest about that and we appreciated that. The only down side was the smell of the seaweed but they had no control over the ocean. We are already planing our next trip and we'll be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed at casa del mar every summer for over 10 years. This unit has by far been the nicest, CLEANEST, brightest, most updated unit we have ever stayed in. I wish I could contact the owners and tell them personally but maybe they will read this review. Thank you for taking the extra time and money to clean and update this unit to make our mini vacation a fantastic one!

• Stayed: August 2014

We are so glad to know you enjoyed your stay! The recent updates to the kitchens and baths in all of our Rental units has been a very pleasant surprise to our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us for many years to come!!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This was an ideal place to stay for my family of 5 with an adequate amount of sleeping space for all. The hotel was clean but very small, especially for a family of 5. The location was alright but at a very busy intersection making it difficult to come and go from the hotel either by car or foot.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 4 August 2014

When we come to Galveston ..this is where we stay if you gave a family..let me tell you its amazing ..kitchen bunkbeads, separate rooms..and beautiful view... This is a must stay very worth it,.once you stay here you will always wanna stay here..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was lied to about the bed it was supposed to be a pillow top but instead it was what felt like 2 box springs put together the furniture was dirty and old. I also feel that I overpaid! We had to clean the kitchen counter before we could set our stuff down they were sticky along with the TV remote

• Stayed: July 2014
KarenGalveston_Texas, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We are trying to contact this guest to see if they may have rented from an outside agency and/or look into this complaint and address it. We encourage any guest (no matter what hotel you are staying in) to ask to speak to a manager if they are not satisfied. We will do everything possible to ensure any issues are addressed to the satisfaction of our guests. Never think of it as complaining, most operators will appreciate the opportunity to improve your experience and to improve our service.

Theresa Elliott