“Awesome place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Marlin, Texas
“Awesome place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Pleasantly surprised that Casa Del Mar met the great reviews we had read. The suite was perfect for us and our two grandchildren age 7 and 8. Very clean and fully equipped with everything we needed. The pool area is beautiful just as the pictures show and there is a great grilling area. We grilled Steak and shrimp. Every staff was amazingly friendly and helpful! We did not spend a lot of time on the beach as our trip was to experience Moody Gardens but we had a great view of the beach and it is easily accessible if that is what you are looking for. Attractions and great eating places are all nearby.We will be booking our stay for next year and plan to stay longer. Would recommend to anyone looking for a great place to stay.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Did not know what to expect when I booked this, but was very happy with the suite. Stayed here for 1 night on 10th August 2014.

The suite was very spacious and comfortable. I was in room 395 on the top floor right at the back of the complex. One thing that I noticed immediately, however, was that the suite did not feel level - almost as if the building had sunk a few inches at one end. It was quite disconcerting.

Did not have time to use the pool but it looked fine.

The suites are in a great location, just across from the beach and surrounded by some good restaurants.

Would stay here again.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Chaplinmark
tethanks7, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
So glad you enjoyed your stay. We double checked the issue you mentioned about the building leveling it is simply as you stated, the building leveling less than an inch over the years. But thanks for taking the time to comment and we hope to see you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The missus and I had a quick pre-return-to-school trip to Galveston with the 7yo grandson to take in the beach. That experience was not good, as too much seaweed impacted our experience of sand, water and waves, but the hotel was quite different. We had what we were looking for, close to a crossing at Seawall at 61st, reasonable prices, a great view. I had stayed here before decades ago, but the remodeling this past spring yielded a nice surprise in the spacious apartment/condo like room; clean, fresh, plenty of space, just the right configuration for us three..

Room Tip: We paid $20 bucks more for a room up front with a full window view of the Gulf
1 Thank mike r
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Being close to the ocean was about the best thing about our experience here. My wife an I stayed here for our anniversary by way of compliments of a family friend who owns the unit. Surprisingly, though the unit was LITERALLY in the very back of the complex, furthest away from the ocean, we were still able to have an ocean view. The biggest letdown was the romance was our goal and we failed tremendously. This hotel is not built for accommodate the "young and in love." Kids will enjoy it. Bunk beds, intimate kitchenette and dining area and 2 pools. Also, they offer free wifi, but because we were so far from the back of the hotel, the signal was incredibly weak. It's just simply a place to lay your head.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the front office/ocean if you have family or with friends.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
tethanks7, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. We agree that Casa del Mar is not the ideal "romantic" get away as most of our guests find the kitchen amenities a great way to have added value - and not many romantic weekends start in the kitchen! But we do hope you will bring your family back next time! We are also checking with our WiFi provider and will be adding more band width to our system soon. Thanks for pointing that out.
Humble, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Grandaughters and I got this place on Groupon for $99. Wonderful view of the ocean!! The rooms include full kitchen and 1 full bedroom. Additional sleeping included bunk beds that my girls LOVED and a pull out sofa so one of their friends could come with us. 2 pools helped keep them occupied after it got too late to stay on the beach. Would definitely come here again!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nana1003
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in a room at Casa Del Mar recently. Some of the rooms are bascially timeshares that are owned by people but we rented a room directly from Casa Del Mar. I looked into renting a room from an owner because it is considerably cheaper. I decided against it because I saw a few horror stories about the rooms being dirty, poor linens on the beds and people having trouble getting checked in. When I looked at pictures of the regular rooms compared to the rooms owned by people, the regular rooms always looked nicer. Also, it looks like you'd have to pay extra for maid service and for insurance in case something goes wrong. I don't have the best of luck with things like that, so I decided to pay the extra money and rent directly from Casa Del Mar. That way, I wouldn't have to deal with an owner or a third party company if something was wrong.

The front desk staff was very courteous and helpful to me when I checked in. I was helped very quickly after walking in the door. I had other family members that were staying in the same place and they got to Casa Del Mar early, around 2:00 pm. The rooms aren't ready until 4:00 pm, so they had to find something to do until they could check-in-no option was given for early check-in. I arrived after 5:00 pm, so my room was ready.

Since this was a trip with other family members who have small children, Casa Del Mar was a perfect choice. We were all able to stay on the same floor. However, if just my husband and I were traveling by ourselves, I would never stay at Casa Del Mar. Here are the reasons why I think this is perfect for families:

1) My room was pretty clean and we had a nice view of the ocean from our balcony.
2) There is one separate bedroom, two bunk beds in the hall-built into the wall and a couch in the living room that folds out. There are no linens on the couch bed, so you have to ask the front desk for them if you have someone that will be sleeping on the couch. There is enough room for seven people to sleep in one room and for the parents to have their own room. The bunk beds aren't big-only room for one small child on each bed-maybe a small teen.
3) There is a small kitchen with a stove top, oven, microwave, fridge and sink. The kitchen and bathroom both look like they've been recently remodeled. There isn't a whole lot of cookware but you could do low maintenance meals and keep water, milk, etc. in the fridge.
4) There is a nice shower with bathtub in the bathroom.
5) There are trash cans in the hall outside the rooms, so you can dispose of dirty diapers in them-keeping your room from smelling like dirty diapers!
6) There is a nice heated pool on the property.
7) You're in walking distance of several restaurants.
8) The beach is literally across the street.
9) There is a TV in the bedroom and a TV in the living area.

Here's why I would never stay there on my own:

1) Since I rented directly from Casa Del Mar, the room was quite expensive and in my humble opinion, not worth the money.
2) The rooms are VERY small. Even though they can sleep up to 7, there is very little room to actually move around. The bathroom is very small compared to regular hotel bathrooms. The kitchen is tiny-only big enough for one person at a time. The living area is so small they could only fit a two person dining table up against the wall and had to build the bunk beds into the wall. The bed barely fits in the separate bedroom and is pushed up against the wall.
3) I'm really picky about the rooms being clean. This one was pretty good but not the best. There were hairs from someone else on the comforter of the bed but I pulled it off and all the other sheets were very clean. The maid staff just give you more towels, take the used towels, empty the trash and make the bed. Don't expect the bathroom or other areas to be cleaned. Also, one of my "new" towels was dirty.
4) The towels were the thin, cheap kind.
5) Our room was by the pool, so there was lots of noise until 11:00 pm when the pool closes. After that, it does get very quiet.
6) There's only one elevator, so you have to wait forever for it.

Definitely not a bad hotel but for the money, I would rather stay at a hotel with larger rooms that offers a continental breakfast.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cyndilovestotravel
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review and have printed your comments for discussion at our next staff meeting. Our motto is: "If we mess up; we fess up and then dress up". So first, please accept our apologies for any problem you experienced and rest assured that each of your comments will be addressed by our management team in an effort always look for ways to improve our service and ultimately, each guest's experience. We have always strived to provide the best possible value for our guests and we will continue to work on any issues that are pointed out in our reviews.
Noble, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed the week of July 28, 2014. We have three kids 15, 10 and 8 and there was enough sleeping areas for all of us. The kitchen is small but it was enough to room to whip up some small meals (to save a little money). Room was clean and we had a great view of the ocean. The front desk staff where very nice and helpful. We tried to check in early but they weren't ready but at least they were honest about that and we appreciated that. The only down side was the smell of the seaweed but they had no control over the ocean. We are already planing our next trip and we'll be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family