“Very rude manager!!”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Do not spend a penny at this place. That manager is so rude. My daughter left an important stuffed animal in the room and when we called back to ask about it she was too busy to talk to us about it. She had people lined up to check in and she didn't have time to discuss us being upset with how rude she was so she hung up on us. Very ridiculous!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kradde

Reviewed 2 March 2012

First of all, let me say that my husband and I have stayed at The Commodore numerous times with no issues. It was a strange feeling to walk into our room and find the TV blaring out and the door to the balcony unlocked. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. There was enough noise that neither my husband nor I slept very well, but at some point there was a loud banging that woke my husband up. We were also told there was wifi Internet access. Also, this hotel has never upgraded to coffee makers in their rooms. We had checked in for 2 nights but left after 1.

We never could connect to the hotels wifi and in fact never had any kind of signal to connect through. When we got up in the morning, and I tried to go get coffee, I found that the elevator was I operational....sorry, people, I'm not lazy, but cannot easily navigate stairs.

When we finally made it downstairs to check out, I told the manager about the tv being on, the balcony door being unlocked, the lack on Internet access, the loud noise and the elevator and his responses were that the "Internet worked just fine because he'd just used it, the noise was because someone was cleaning the sea wall and yeah, the elevator isn't working." He seemed totally unconcerned about the tv and unlocked door.

I think we'll stay at the Holiday Inn Resort from now on. The rooms are great and the view of the gulf is awesome!!! PLUS, I can get up and have a cup or coffee before having to get dressed and face the world!!!

Room Tip: Go ahead and pay a little more for quality and security!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here in late December on an unseasonably warm weekend and it was just what we expected. If you want a resort experience, this is not it, but if you want a view of the ocean and a soft place to sleep, this is it. The room was clean and the carpet and bedding looked new. I liked the brick interior walls that others have not, reminds me of my youth any time I encounter them. The room was very clean, especially for a beach hotel. The location is great, just a crosswalk away from the ocean (which is why I scored them high on kids activities). The breakfast was mostly cereal, pastries and various beverages. We had trouble with the air and someone came right up to help. There is quite a bit of road noise, because all balconies overlook the main drag and beach.

Room Tip: The elevator is not much, so if you don't like stairs, stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I always come to this hotel every summer, (Let's also mention that I have come almost fourteen times) and I have always had a great time. For those of you who may have gone before Hurricane Ike struck the Galveston area, they have changed some things. I cannot speak for the rooms on floors two, three and four, but the rooms on the first floor were re carpeted, and from the rooms that I have stayed in, the sheets are brand new.
I understand that some people don't like this hotel, but I think that for a few days, as I did when I was on the way to Corpus Christi for a camping trip, that that is really what the hotel is for.
I quite like it, and would totally recommend going here.
If your booking for the summer, book early in May, or book for late in August.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have great pool access, and there is direct beach access through the patio.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sydney A
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The price is not worth your stay! The rooms are dirty and the AC is LOUD and there is no use in adjusting it because it will continue to blow the air. There is a door that joins the adjacent room better make sure its locked. The pool is right by the sidewalk and there was people jumping over the fence to jump in and swim around. The rooms are dirty and look way better in the pictures. The staff was nice. There was an old "smell" to the room. WAY TOO PRICEY!! I should have just forked over the $30 extra and stayed at Casa del Mar. I did not feel safe, at night it sounded like someone was trying to get in the room. My kids and I did not like it and the cable was fuzzy. and it was just local chanels mostly. Never will stay here again!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jessie B
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We spent two nights at the Commodre and the staff where very nice and friendly, Ms. Delores Gilland (Customer Service Specialist) was especially helpful and gracious ! The pool was beautifully clean and inviting and our room by the pool was very clean as well! I will recomend this Motel to all my friends and relatives............ And hope to visit real soon, when my husband and I want to get away! Thank you again for all you help and such a pleasaant experience! Mr. and Mrs. Morris Stallings

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maryconchin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My friend and I booked a room weeks in advance and drove 300 miles to get to this hotel only to walk into the office and find out that you must be 21 to stay in the hotel or have your parents. I have never heard of anything so stupid before, if you are 18 you are an adult. How does being 21 have anything to do with it? The man at the counter was very rude and seemed to enjoy telling us that we couldn't stay. I am 27 and my friend is 20 and we already paid for the room on hotels.com where we were never asked to verify age or anything of that nature. We then found out that they would take 3-7 days to refund us which was longer than our stay. The rude staff and completely stupid rules of this establishment has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth of my first experience in galveston. I will not come back.

• Stayed: September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Galveston
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
3 mi away
Best Western Plus Seawall Inn & Suites By The Beach

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!