“Great View”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Older hotel, but clean and comfortable. Great view from the 4th floor! I sat at the floor to ceiling window when it was too stormy for the balcony. Breakfast was included, but just cereal and packaged pastries, plus coffee, juice and milk.

Room Tip: Best views from the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mwkeene

Reviewed 15 April 2012

it was fun, the wife&kids loved the pool clean and clear water,staff very helpful especially the nice guy in the lobby took all are stuff to are room on the 4th floor.Room was very clean,perfect beach view from the 4th floor room where we were.will come back..when we checked out the nice guy took are stuff down to..we forgot an ipad in the room and got it back the next day thanks Commodorep.s.WILL BE BACK

1  Thank mark l
Reviewed 11 April 2012

April 5th thru the 8th (Easter weekend) We booked the family room on the second floor and I was extremely happy and very pleasantly suprised especially after reading poor reviews. Our room was huge! It slept 8 grown adults very comfortably (3 queen beds and a full size sofa sleeper), plus a living room area with TV and plenty of storage for our luggage. The bathroom was huge, plenty of towels, cold A/C and the big bonus, our private balcony which was enormous! The other rooms have smaller balconies, but that's because they are usually just one or two beds. But every room in the place has a gulf view. It was beautiful. The pool was wonderful and very clean. We never saw anyone jumping the fence and trying to swim in our pool. Our room and the facility were very clean. I saw tons of personnel always walking around with brooms and picking up. Plenty of staff to help with towels and our other needs. We arrived very late, around midnight after driving in from Austin. The lady at the desk was pleasant and she was helpful with all my questions (very different than in the reviews I read). We got to our room very quickly and the elevator worked perfectly. The next morning, the beach was right across the street with easy access since there is a traffic light right at the corner of the hotel. We had a great stay. I would like to address some of the negative comments that I saw earlier. It's true the Commodore is an older hotel. But it's clean. They have been in Galveston forever. And yes, the breakfast is pretty bare bones, but there are tons of restaurants within a block or two. We have been going to Galveston and Crystal Beach for over 20 years and all hotels suffer from the salt air and sand. But you cannot find a better deal for a comfortable nights stay with that much easy access to the beach. Yes, it's not a resort hotel, but it doesn't have the resort price either. I'm a single mom on a tight budget. This was our big family vacation for the year and it impressed even my picky teenagers. When we go to the beach, we go to be on the beach, not stay in our hotel all weekend. But when we did come back to the room, a great hot shower and a cold room and comfortable beds were very welcome indeed. I have a bad hip and usually after day 2 on a hotel mattress, I'm in discomfort. My hip never bothered me the entire time. The staff was friendly and helpful with my questions. Our experience was a good and happy one, so I couldn't understand all the bad reviews.

Room Tip: All rooms face the gulf and the hotel is on the main drag of the beach. But that's why I chose...
1  Thank 222SandyS222
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I had the family room suite. I knew it would not be luxury but it was clean. A perfect place for a large group. After staying there and looking back at the pictures, they are accurate. I came for the beach. Having a waterfall in the pool was a bonus. The employees didn't have the manners that I am accustomed to at hotels. The pictures from the beach make it appear to be very run down. After driving the area and realize all hotels are the same distance from the beach, I would have picked a different hotel.

Room Tip: Get the Family Room Suite..
1  Thank kbitt
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed: March 2012
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Virginia M
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I was soooooo shame.....When my sister in a (unnamed) organization took me to check in @ The Commodore on the Beach. 1st of all i had these reservations for about a month, so excited told every by in the organization were i was staying, and had the nerve to try them to come and stay THANK GOD THEY DID NOT!!!!!! THAT WEB PAGE WAS FALSE ADVERTISMENT...THEY SHOULD BE ASHAME OF THEM SELVES..THE WATERFALL pressure was very low,the hotel is old and smelly. I could have died right ther...my sister tried to get another hotel, there was none, convention in town ...SO I WAS FORCED TO STAY.... the air went out, no fans, and a foggy tv

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2012

this hotel is awful!! you will be embarrased to tell anyone youre staying here. Even the restaurant employees around the area talk very bad about this place....The place doesn't look nothing to how they show it on the web site, it looks old and raggidy for what your paying for...once again-DON'T DO IT!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank lizzarro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Galveston
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
3 mi away
Best Western Plus Seawall Inn & Suites By The Beach
Best Western Plus Galveston Suites

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!