“Don't listen to bad reviews!!!”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
McKinney
“Don't listen to bad reviews!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

We were a little scared because of the bad reviews but were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is older but the view, walking distance to everything, and beach across the street make it all worth it. The staff was very friendly, room was clean, nice pool, awesome view from our balcony. We had a great time and are definately planning on staying there again. The only complaints I would have is the noise in the mornings outside the door from the housekeeping crew and making us get out of the pool at 10:00pm. If you are expecting the Hilton.......don't complain just stay at the Hilton!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor away from stairs and elevators
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Felicia C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed 2 nights and it was great. After reading some of the reviews I was a little scared but that was not the case at all. Yes it needs to b updated, but it was clean and service was good. The only thing is the parking issue. There's not enough!!!! The pool is great also my kiddos loved it. And the beach right across the road is a plus.... We would stay again. And the location is great close to all the attractions on the seawall...

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Malbub
Lockhart, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Where the heck do I start. Let's start with the good parts of this hotel. The A/C worked so well we froze. Can't complain that it was hot in our room. The pool was okay despite the pigeons trying to bathe it the top part of the fountain. I won't even complain about the mold I saw. Okay, now for the real skinny. The elevator was from the 70's, it scared the living heck out of me. I know darn well it wasn't up to code ( Yes, I work in a municipality ) plus, it was extra hot in that FUNKY metal box. I opted for the stairs early on. The six channels sucked, there was NO cable or WI-FI. The staff was like watching a comedy sketch of idiots; I was waiting for someone to come around the corner to tell me I was being “punked” or Candid Camera was back in business. One co-worker literally shouted at another co-worker to SHUT UP! (The staff needs to be terminated and fresh persons up front, this place needs some serious upgrading and get rid of all these sour butt humans taking my hard earned cash) Needless to say, the rest of the guests in the lobby were mortified at this scene. Heck, I started giggling it was so unprofessional & comically ridiculous.
I had requested this room 3 weeks in advance for two rooms with Queen beds, we got two FUNKY rooms with full size beds that looked like the room staff just made the beds with the previous tenants sheets, plus full size beds suck when you're over 6 feet. This hotel is shoddy, raggedy and in need of a serious upgrade. There was NO microwave, NO coffee maker & NO fridge. The carpets were FILTHY, the browning ceiling/acoustics were literally drooping because of leak somewhere, or perhaps the A/C condensation, the towel racks are rusty not to mention there we're no towels on them.
The A/C vent was full of dust and god knows what else. The mold in the tub was more that I could handle and the spigot covers were hanging off and u could see big hole through the shower. Just seedy......good granny!! Not only were the online pictures very misleading & deceptive, I consider this MAJOR false advertising. The shower was tall enough for someone under 5 feet tall and the water pressure was non-existent, not to mention it would go from hot and cold during showering. There was an blue abandoned Lincoln in the rear parking lot with 3 flat tires and it was obvious that it had been there for quite some. Heck, I thought I was in the hood. The location was GREAT but his hotel is in need of OSHA, AND a ball of destruction to take it all down and start over! What 24 hour cafe? What cookies? To top it all off, they put us in a handicap room! Good grief what a horrible experience. NEVER EVER AGAIN! I'm so perturbed I will be asking for a refund...someone tell me good luck! Pay the extra $10-$20 bucks for a better hotel, I wouldn't house my dog here! The person who is pocketing all this hotel money need a swift kick in their butts because the greedy SOB isn't putting any money back into this hotel. Again...NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: TIP...yea stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Puddin1667
winnsboro, tx
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

After a 6 hour drive. I walk into a lobby to two ladys and one being very very rude. She at first told me that I did not have a reservation. So luckly I printed out my confirmation page. But first she told me my first mistake was making the reservation online! I dont care how I make the reservation at $200 a night you could atleast greet me with a smile! So when I handed her my confirmation page I printed she glanced at it and told me that it was nothing.. She then proceted to tell me that I needed ink (nope she just apparently needs glasses) She then said she couldn't do anything to help us without a confirmation number. Well that was clearly on the top of the page, so I read it off to her. Then the process started. Apparently they just hadnt put any of our info into the system which is a bread box.... Then when I handed her my credit card she would not take it because the reservation was in my husbands name but the card was in my name. We were there togather!!! She insisted that I call the customer service people to switch the names on the reservation! So I did! Finally we got a room and she said well atleast you got a room. I replied yep you scared me a bit there and she replied well you would have received a room you had your confirmation. That would be the paper she tossed back at me and told me it was nothing!!! As for the room it was so so.. Nothing special. I figure that it would be like staying at a Motel 6 except at $200 at night.. Honestly if you make your money from tourism you might learn to be alittle kinder.... Treat people the way you like to be treated. We all learned that at a young age, some people just forget that golden rule!

Room Tip: Spend alittle more and receive alot more. Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank heather l
Richardson, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

You pay for the unobstructed ocean view and convenience to the beach. We got there at the stated check-in time but were told the room was not ready. When we asked when we could come back, they could not give an answer. We just went away for about an hour and the room was ready when we returned. The room is just ok for sleeping in. Bathroom was clean but the windows were grimy! The balcony was private but very small, and the patio chairs were worn. Pool was nice and clean, but pool lounges, again, were worn and needed replacing. (our bottoms sank through to the pool decking) Rooms need to be remodeled because hotel is very dated. Carpet and furnishings were dingy. Although we had plenty of clean towels and the bed was comfortable. The continental breakfast area was small, and the offerings just adequate. We got the last parking spot one night on our return from dinner, which was not late. I think non-guests were parking there to get to the beach.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank TerryinTexas54
Corsicana, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My daughter and granddaughter stayed with me at the Commodore for a 3 day weekend get-away trip and we loved it. I had read all the reviews and thought maybe things had changed for the bad from the last time we had stayed there. I was pleasantly surprised that things had actually improved.
The room was clean and the bed very comfortable with clean linens. We received very friendly service from the time we arrived until we left. We received plenty of clean towels anytime we needed them. We had an awesome view from our room , everything was great ! My granddaughter loved the pool and the cookies and milk in the afternoon. After reading some of the reviews on here it made me wonder if I was at the same hotel. The parking was not the best and the elevator was slow but to me that was only minor compared to the great service,view, and location.

Room Tip: We were on top floor toward center. Great view!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank nanahugs212
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I really, really, really, know better than to disregard the advise of fellow travelers. I'll start with the positive; the view was very nice. Now, on to the real review. The location is NOT on the beach, which was the only reason I stayed here. The hotel was ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE BEACH. The parking was behind the hotel which was dotted with abandoned old vehicles and seedy looking people. Next, the elevator smelled of urine. The room was very small with old mattresses and threadbare sheets. The bedspread was too disgusting to even think about again (use your imagination). There was no tub in the bathroom only a shower. The air conditioner did not cool properly so the room was hot AND humid. The television made loud buzzing noises when (I am assuming) someone used a hair dryer. The swimming pool was so crowded that I couldn't find a place to get in. There was no 24-hour cafe, it closed. And you couldn't get to the coffee and "breakfast" in the lobby because there were so many people. Lastly, the staff was very inhospitable. The housekeeper knocked on my door and asked me if I wanted her to clean my room, when I said yes, she groaned and came in. This was a miserable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank rmetzge2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#23 of 53 in Galveston Island
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Days Inn & Suites Galveston West/Seawall

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!