“We will return”

Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Kansas City, Missouri
“We will return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

It may not be the Hilton, but we appreciated the people & the location. Very pleasant staff,we had a comfortable room on the top floor. It was nice to be able to step out on our balcony to view the ocean, Pleasure Pier & the beach. We had a full moon that week end so the pictures we caught were great. Breakfast could have been a little more varied with hot food, but the lobby/diner area is "cozy". We definatey will return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ocean side.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Copperas Cove, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

The view is awesome, can see the sunrise, and the pleasure pier. Lots happening on the street, and a real good location. My husband and I have stayed at several hotels in galveston, the staff at the commodore were friendly and most helpful. The hotel is privately owned and it is an older hotel. We stayed in the winter, and thought all was good. For the price we will stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Having just read some of the poor ratings the Commodore on the Beach has received in recent times, it triggered my own experience of a week long stay there about awhile back. I chose this hotel for it's location and lovely view of the Gulf. I will never stay there again. I booked a room on the top floor hoping to avoid parking lot and pool noise. It was the one blessing in my stay. The couple in the room next to me had nightly pot smoking fests, who a dimwit could figure out they were dealing drugs. The constant slamming of their door and the flow of quick stop visitors, and the pot smoke that entered my room, underneath the locked door that separated my room from my noisy neighbors was nuts. When I reported it to the desk staff repeatedly, they told me they could not limit their guests visitors. This behavior I went on each night from 10 pm to the early morning hours. My neighbors, being three sheets to the wind, proceeded to talk in decibles levels equivalent to a shout. Did I mention their loud, nasty sex talk, between drug deals? This to, was A.O.K. to the front desk staff. The Commodore was staffed with employee's who did nothing to protect the reputation or integrity of their employer, their work place, or their clients. It is unfortunate, because the setting is superb, the views of the Gulf spectacular, the walking distance to restaurants fabulous. The owners must place a low priortity on the quality of people they allow to run their business. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Ronda S
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

First of all....we did enjoy our stay here. And you do get what you paid for. We went down for one night and wanted somewhere cheap on the seawall. If you want a more upscale place, stay somewhere else. The rooms were nice, the beds were comfy, and the front desk staff were pleasant. They do serve muffins and cereal in the morning with juice and coffee.

Now for the negative....the rooms are small. Like I said, we were only there one night so no biggie. The parking lot is small. We were on the second floor so you did hear road noise most of the night. You do hear people outside and other toilets flushing. Also, our air conditioner only would switch on and off...there was a dial to make it warmer/colder but it didn't work.

You couldn't smoke in your room, which also is not a biggie; however, you also can't smoke on your balcony either or you get the $150 fine. Lucky for us, we asked about this at check in and they told us, your neighbors will call you on (like it's happened several times before I'm sure). I've stayed at a lot of places in Galveston and most places you can smoke on the balcony.

Overall, it wasn't a bad stay for a night. I'd stay there again for a cheap one or two night trip.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Amberh1982
Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel on the weekend of Oct. 6 & 7, 2012.For the price I paid, I was disappointed but the location was good (directly across from the beach). The hotel itself was nothing fancy but the room was clean and the bathroom was clean as well. The tv (a nice flat screen) in our room was either malfunctioning or something was wrong with the receptacle that it plugged in to because it took about 30 minutes to get it to come on. Also the a/c made a horrific noise each time the compressor would kick off and on. Parking was a challenge because, for a hotel that has 90 rooms, there may have been 45 to 50 parking spots. The complimentary breakfast was an appetizer until we could find a restaurant for a brunch before heading home.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LouisianaDani
Texarkana, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I will admit I was a little upset when we checked in after reserving a specific room and it wasn't available when we got there.What good is it to reserve if your not gonna get what you asked for..I have found after coming to Galveston for many many yrs.i still come back to the Commodore...My room has ALWAYS been very clean...I'm a nurse I know clean....My bed has always been comfortable...view is awesome...The older gray headed man at desk could stand to be a little more friendy....The maid service was excellent and very friendly...The location is great...Joe's Crab Shack next door Gaido's ,Ihop...Lots so close by....Beach and jetty across street.... Love the Commodore....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reda w
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

We visited Galveston, Tx on a whim during Labor Day weekend. We really wanted something on the beach. The first motel we tried - which looked nice - was Gaido's - which was sold out. We then went to Commodore's. The prices were high $189 first night & $159 second night. There were no frills - no coffee in room etc. The view was nice of the ocean. The pool was clean & refreshing. The "breakfast" consisted of coffee, juices & packaged rolls. There were also packaged cookies in the afternoon. I would not recommend this hotel. The beds were more like hammocks. As mentioned the view of the ocean was nice, the pelicans etc flew over & you could see the light show at the Pleasure Pier. One more note, there were no breakfast places - after walking the strip both ways we ended up at waffle house. So, look around before you choose this hotel. You may very well find more for your money. Without the location this hotel would have trouble getting business.

Room Tip: If you do stay here - ask for a room in the center of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank coyotenancy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#23 of 53 in Galveston Island
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Days Inn & Suites Galveston West/Seawall

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!