“high price, low value. go down the road.ok for 59.00? 150.00 boo hoo”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 19 June 2008

If you are not a local and know what it is you are getting, run. I got another room down the road, go west to the suites and you can get a nice one for less if they are not full. great location and view.old but would be ok if they had any amenities in the rooms. no coffee pot or ironing board. they had an iron though.loud late and no laundry room coke machine was broke and ice machine worked on 2nd night. lobby staff were nice but were overwhelmed by people from out of town who saw picture on internet &thought they were getting a nice place and wanted to check out. no breakfast worth talking about. instant oatmeal, muffins,. and cereal.wife cried and had a bad 2 days until i relocated

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank beenthere100

Reviewed 4 June 2008

We were really disappointed when we arrived to the hotel. I guess it’s like that old saying “you can’t judge a book by its cover” and you shouldn’t assume that what you’re seeing in the pictures is exactly what you’ll get.

The morning staff an older Caucasian man and women was polite to us when we checked in, although our room was not yet ready they held onto our bags and encourage us to grab something to eat.

The older gentleman that works the night shift was rude and not polite. We’ve requested towels a couple of times and no one brought it up to us, so we had to walk downstairs to grab them.

When we checked into our rooms, it looks icky and dirty. The brick walls was outdated and the other plain walls was dirty and needed a new paint job. I was not at all impressed with the bathroom, and did not think that where the toilet was sitting is attracting.

The bedding sheets and pillows was nasty, I didn’t think I could lay in them. They had a foul smell to them like someone went to bed in sweats. The towels had yellow spots all over them.

AND the biggest disappointment of it all is the FACT they listed Wireless Internet….. Anyway, lets just put it this way….. YEAH WHATEVER!!! For the life of us, we COULD NOT get any wireless connection in our room. We ended up going to the front desk and used the internet and to top it off, it wasn’t EVEN wire less from the Commodore; we were using the wireless from Gaido’s... They shouldn't OFFER amenities that they don’t have, because they'r WASTING our MONEY and times.

Lastly, the location SUCKS! There was no shopping that was walking distance and we had to take the taxi every where that we want to go. HOW FREAKING disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank thiscuriouscandy
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I can attest to hostmom2's review as my family and I just experienced an almost identical situation w/this "hotel" this past weekend. My husband deploys in 2 wks. so this was supposed to be one last pleasant and relaxing family getaway for us. We never did stay there b/c the Commodore claims that Expedia never sent our request for reservations to them. They told us the very same thing...we'd have to be there in person to hold any rooms. Later, we find that we were charged for our nonexistent rooms & when we phoned Expedia to justify WHY they explained that the Commodore said that we had checked in. How could we have checked in when they told us that our names were never in their system??!! Well, we weren't about to drive 5 hrs. only to find that we didn't have a place to stay so we ended up booking a room at the Holiday Inn Resort on the beach w/c I'd HIGHLY recommend anyone to stay at b/c of their great hospitality. Fortunately, I booked through Expedia and they were able to rectify the problem just recently and process our refund. Nonetheless, I'd advise everyone to take our experiences into account before even thinking about booking a room at this unpleasant establishment...stay at the Holiday Inn Resort instead where you'll feel more than welcomed by their awesome staff!! :o)

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 2 May 2008

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel over and over for the past 10+ years, it is our daughters favorite vacation spot, since we always take her and a friend.

The location is great, close to everything you'd want to do in Galveston and you can just sit, look out at the water, have your hubby run over to the waffle house next door and eat by the pool!

We have many photos and great photos at this hotel.

The rooms are small and older, and the bathroom is really small, but how long were we in this room????? really? We were in Galveston!! Even when we were there, we sat outside by the pool. The prime rooms are on the lower level on the east side. It is great cause you can park outside your door and then just walk out to the pool, or if you have children, there are even rooms right on the pool, where you can sit on your porch and watch the kiddos, while your husband watches sports center! ~wink~

The only bad experience was the last time we went the night clerk (we always drive from Dallas, TX to there and leave after work around 8pm) so we don't get there till around 2 am. I called several times to remind them we would be coming in really late.

When we got there she was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO rude, on the phone on a personal call, and made us feel terrible. She is the only one we have encountered like this, she informed us she had worked there for years. Large lady. I would not ever wish to deal with her again, I think she is the night auditor.

The day staff and owner are great and have always accommodated our special room request to be on the bottom level by the pool.

The continental breakfast is really nothing more then juice, muffin, cereal and coffee, but as I stated above..... go to waffle house and get it to go, and have some yummy biscuits and gravy at a table overlooking the pool!!

So yes, we highly recommend it. It will easily hold 4 adults, split the cost :)

EAT AT BENNO'S on the beach!! We love it also!!!

Feel free to email me about this hotel, I'll be really honest, but we do always stay there and we are going back with some new friends on May 16th!!

Beautiful fun pool for you and the kids!!!!! RIGHT ON THE BEACH, what else can you ask for?

Hugs,
Sharon

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeShaTexas
Reviewed 21 April 2008

The Commodore offers a beautiful view of Galveston Bay with
a beautiful pool and fountain. I can say that is all that is 'beautiful' about this motel.

The rooms need updating in the worst way and are very small. We had our TV completely die around 11pm and had to switch rooms. The rooms were totally different. The second room didn't have a hair dryer, there were no little shampoos or soaps and the vent made a horrible racket all night long. The A/C unit in the second room was never able to cool the room off. The blankets/pillows were horrible. I would have been more comfortable sleeping on a rock. The second room was also situated right by the gate to enter the pool. The pool closes at 10pm, but people still were going to the pool area at all hours of the night as we heard the gate slam shut over and over again.

There were hairs all over the towels, the bathtub and sink in both rooms. The first room had a drain that would not drain at all while showering.

I would say that this motel is highly overpriced for the accommodations. I would have taken more time and tried to find something else, but it was very last minute.

The parking isn't all that bad, either on the street or in a parking lot behind the motel. All rooms have a view of the Bay and a balcony that is nice, but very small.

I will say that the staff was very friendly and helpful, although it did take almost an hour for the TV issue to get resolved. We didn't stay long enough the next morning to try breakfast.

I wouldn't recommend this motel nor stay there again until some major improvements have been made.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2008

My family is planning a last minute trip to Galveston and considering we have 5 children that will be travelling with us, we require a large room. I thought the family suite would be perfect. Only problem our arrival was within one week of trying to make the reservation online. I made a long distance call to inquire about their prepayment policy. I offered credit card to secure reservation or asked how I could secure the room on such short notice. I was told rather rudely that I would have to send CASH or money order to pay for the room up front. No credit cards would be accepted. I have never paid by cash or a hotel room and will not send a money order. The gentleman that I spoke with was extremely rude and hung up on me. When I called back to get his manager's name he was equally as rude. I will never stay at this hotel and definately would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank hostmom2
Reviewed 12 March 2008

We were recommended to the hotel by a local tourist office. It is a little tired, but the room was clean and comfortable, with a great view of the ocean - it is right across the road from the beach. The staff were most helpful and friendly. Price was reasonable. The light complimentary breakfast was convenient.

Stayed: March 2008