“LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The 3 reasons for staying at this hotel are: 1. just across the street from a good beach. There is actually a traffic light at this corner-a huge plus; 2. wonderful swimming pool; 3. many great Galveston restaurants within walking distance-less than a mile away from here. The "walking distance" has become important because Galveston now charges to park on Seawall Blvd.
Other plusses include: Less than a mile for Pleasure Pier, almost every room has a balcony, or view of the ocean, rooms are as clean as can be for this type of beach hotel,and the staff is, most, very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor, 3 or 4, room. No coffee in the room, so if you need coffee before getting d...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many, many times. It is right across the street from the beach and in walking distance to a few good restaurants, Murdoch's and the Pleasure Pier. It is pretty basic, but, comfortable and clean. The balcony is a plus to watch the beach fun and traffic going up and down the seawall. You do hear traffic, if that bothers you, bring a fan for sleeping. Great pool! Breakfast is simple, milk and cookies served at night. The front desk staff is friendly and always happy to see you.

Room Tip: Restaurants very near! We like the 4th floor, rooms toward the right are more private when sitting o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We went down in march for my birthday and were very disappointed, I had called the hotel to let them know we were running late and when we get they I had found out that they had canclled my resvations all together, witch then left me and my girl friends arguing with the girl who had no care that we were standing in front of her, she kept texting and answering her cell phone while we were standing in front of her and told us we just needed to wait, we finally got into a room not the one I had resreved online and it took us a couple times to get into a room with two beds, the room was a little small, once agin not the one I had resreved the room was nice it was more or less the way the staff treated us that got to all of us!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank kris3990
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I really have mixed feelings about this hotel. I didn't feel it deserved an average rating, but not exactly a poor one either. First off, there are two things great about this hotel: location and price. The hotel is directly on Seawall Blvd at a corner with a street light. Perfect when going to the beach across the road. You have a light and crosswalk to use, which is very important in Galveston considering how wide and busy the main drag is. The price was $154 after tax, which is pretty good considering all the rooms have a private balcony and views of the gulf.

I had read reviews about this hotel and some friends had stayed here, so I knew that it was pretty dated. Boy, is it ever. First off, this place needs a really good powerwash and a fresh coat of paint. The outside looks really run down and the signs (like for pool, no smoking, etc) were literally peeling off the walls. The elevator was the scariest thing I encountered in a long time. 4 people could barely squeeze in, it smelled of burnt motor oil, and it rumbled like a freight train. We were on the 4th floor, so I had to use it going up, but did the stairs coming down. The rooms were ok at first glance, but very basic. As in no microwave, no mini-fridge, no iron or board, and very limited drawer space. Since I have kids, of course I brought snacks and drinks. No where to keep anything cold or to heat anything up, so that aggravated me. It had a nice, flat screen TV; but you could only get about 10 channels and they were so fuzzy that you really couldn't watch anything. Not good when you're settling in for the night or wanna catch the news. The bathroom was ok, but again VERY basic. The shower didn't work right, it shut off in the middle of showering and just kinda trickled out, so we used the bath. The drain plug was the metal kind the is supposed to attached down inside, so you just turn the little thing and it pops up and down. Well, ours just came right out of the drain hole and was all covered with rust and lime. Pretty gross. The beds were comfy, though and housekeeping cleaned the room thoroughly while we were out. I had heard the desk staff was super nice. Um...not really. I was barely spoken to, and never asked how my stay was going. Most of the housekeeping staff were Hispanic and didn't speak much English but would smile and nod. When I checked in, the desk clerk barely looked at me and even though I asked for a parking permit twice during my stay (because of the threatening signs that said you would be towed without one) I was just waved off and told not to worry about it. Oh, yeah. The parking isn't great. Small lot, with limited spaces. I had to wedge my mid-size car into a couple of tight spots and even came back one night with NO parking spot available. I went in and they told me to park in some back parking lot on the side, but then said I could just park in the registration only spot.

And some of you may think this is a bonus, but it wasn't for me. You couldn't smoke ANYWHERE on the property. I mean, you were pretty much told that right up front with a really nasty attitude about it. This isn't really a big deal, bc even thought I do smoke, I never get smoking rooms bc of the kids, however; I just assumed you could smoke on the balcony. Nothing like watching the sunrise or set with a nice cigarette while the kids are sleeping or swimming. I've stayed at a few beach properties before and I've always done this. Nope. Not here. So, I had to go down 4 flights of stairs and across the parking lot to smoke. Needless to say, I only sat on the balcony one time during the entire stay. So if you're a smoker, be prepared about this. Also, make sure you get the password for the internet when you check in. They WILL NOT give it to over the phone. You have to actually go into the lobby and pick it up.

So, all in all. Would I stay here again? Probably not. The little things did it for me, and I really felt like I was staying in some run down motel, than on the beach. If they just really cleaned it up and added a few ammenities to the rooms, it would be so much nicer. But then they would probably just jack up the price.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor so you don't have to take the elevator!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bellesmom08
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I rented a room at this place for a mini-getaway, since we re-newed our vows for our 10th year anniversary. When we got to the hotel, there was only one person at the front desk, so we had to wait about 15 minutes to be assisted. We requested a single bed room only to be told they did not have any available. So we settled for a room with double full-size beds. The clerk gave us the room key and when we opened the door we immediately noticed the room was occupied. No one was in the room at the time, but there was stuff everywhere! So we went back to the office, told the clerk and he said he didn't know why they didn't have that room as "occupied" on his list. Anyway, he said he would "upgrade" us to a single bed room, which was baffling because he had just told us they didn't have any available only 5 minutes earlier. So he give us the key to the new room and up we go again to the 3rd floor. When we got in the room, my husband tried to turn on the TV, but the remote did not work. We called the office and were told someone would come by to replace it, but no one ever showed up. We had dinner reservations, so after 45 minutes of waiting, we had to leave. Before leaving we adjusted the AC because it was a bit warm, and when we returned from dinner, the room still felt the same temperature. The remote still wasn't working and the TV would not turn the channel without the remote! After messing with it for over 30 minutes, my husband somehow made it work.
The next day, the room was still warm, and the AC was super LOUD and kept making a 'knocking' noise, which sounded like someone was at the door. This was very annoying after a few hours!! Lastly, on our check out date, we were about 3 hours early from check out time, so I went to take a shower, when I came out of the shower, walking out of the restroom, someone opens the door, and it was the janitor guy!!! He scared the hell out of me and I was only in a wrapped towel!! He just stood there and mumbled something and shut the door!! If i had came out of the restroom in my birthday suit, he would have seen me naked!! This was the last straw fo us! My husband was furious and we hurried up and left the room! We still had about 2 hours before check out time, but we just wanted to leave! I went to the office to complain and the lady at the counter told me the manager was not available, but if I wanted to write down my complaint on a piece of paper, she would give him the message! No one ever even apologized for any of the mishaps! Horrible palce to stay and poor customer service!! I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, and we are certainly NOT coming back to this place!!

1  Thank Jane0216
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Location - pretty good
Lift - Dirty looking and hot
Breakfast - a very poor token effort
Room - clean and housekeeping was good BUT let down by use of stained sheets/linen on two occasions out of 3 changes, they were washed / bleached but still had obvious stains...at these rates this is just unacceptable. Asked for a change which we got there on first night with no problems, but then just put up with it, but wont ever go back because of this use of linen that should be trashed.
Shower - shower head fixed and too low down the wall for me and GF (5'11" and 5'8").
Nice view of sea from room but let down by dirty windows.
TV- nice flatscreen but very few channels
Air conditioner - either too cold or too hot could not get comfortable with it.

Overall if attention to detail was better all these issues could easily be addressed by management as nothing here is hard to improve.

Room Tip: Don't pick ground floor unless you want to open out on the pool, if you want sea view pick highe...
Reviewed 13 July 2013

It is an older hotel but it had a good bed, newer towels, and a newer TV. I would stay here again. I do not like to spend lots of money on a room when I am not in it very much. It was a good location.Lots of places to eat and have a cocktails within walking distance

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#27 of 52 in Galveston Island
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!