“Comfortable room”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The pros of staying in this hotel is the room. One of the most comfortable beds I have slept on. The air condition worked great but the bathroom was a bit small but clean. The cons? If you are looking for luxury, keep looking. The pool water is cloudy and smelly. We went during the month of August and at one point I counted 20 screaming kids in the pool. The location is right across the seawall which brings on the traffic noise about 10 feet away from the pool. Between the screaming kids and the traffic noise, it was not a relaxing pool side. The building itself is OLD. The elevator is hot, slow,and scary. At one time the elevator doors jammed on us and we had to force it open. The breakfast is a muffin and cereal. Nothing fancy. The location is great. Across from the beach and fairly close to restaurants. We toured Gaidos hotel next door and it seemed so much cleaner and quieter. We might give that a try next time we travel to Galveston.

Room Tip: Upper floors offer a better view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank V

Reviewed 22 August 2013

First of all when i booked this hotel i was so excited about the hotel i had booked. The pictures of the hotel on the website painted a pretty picture. I promise you that picture was from the first day it was built. The outside of building was very nasy. The pool was foggy. The rooms were nothing as they made it seem. The house keeping did do a very good job while we were out. We cut our trip 3 days early due to the fact we had came back from the beach and was sitting on our patio which was far away from the pool area watching the son go down drinking a wine cooler and a beer just relaxing and some guy came up to us n told us we were not allowed to do that in the pool area. I mean really we were no were near the pool area. This is no pleasure place it like a jail. The ground were the pool is was very molded and filthy mold on the pool walls. The owner of this place obviously needs to fire his managment if he cares any about his buisness cause they dont. And yes the breakfast sucks. A bowl of cereal and a muffin..really. i will never stay there again i will pull my camper or go down the street.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Booked room in advance,made a 10 hour drive to get there,very disappointed upon arrival and checkin. It's a $25 motel at best. Very much in need of renovations,really just needs to be torn down. Pool water was milky colored,pidgeons sitting on top of pool fountain crapping in water,which then flowed into pool. Elevator scary,hot,and smelled of hot machinery. Complimentary breakfast a cheap muffin from some cheap convenient store with tiny cup of coffee. Not worth the money or time.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The 3 reasons for staying at this hotel are: 1. just across the street from a good beach. There is actually a traffic light at this corner-a huge plus; 2. wonderful swimming pool; 3. many great Galveston restaurants within walking distance-less than a mile away from here. The "walking distance" has become important because Galveston now charges to park on Seawall Blvd.
Other plusses include: Less than a mile for Pleasure Pier, almost every room has a balcony, or view of the ocean, rooms are as clean as can be for this type of beach hotel,and the staff is, most, very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor, 3 or 4, room. No coffee in the room, so if you need coffee before getting d...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many, many times. It is right across the street from the beach and in walking distance to a few good restaurants, Murdoch's and the Pleasure Pier. It is pretty basic, but, comfortable and clean. The balcony is a plus to watch the beach fun and traffic going up and down the seawall. You do hear traffic, if that bothers you, bring a fan for sleeping. Great pool! Breakfast is simple, milk and cookies served at night. The front desk staff is friendly and always happy to see you.

Room Tip: Restaurants very near! We like the 4th floor, rooms toward the right are more private when sitting o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We went down in march for my birthday and were very disappointed, I had called the hotel to let them know we were running late and when we get they I had found out that they had canclled my resvations all together, witch then left me and my girl friends arguing with the girl who had no care that we were standing in front of her, she kept texting and answering her cell phone while we were standing in front of her and told us we just needed to wait, we finally got into a room not the one I had resreved online and it took us a couple times to get into a room with two beds, the room was a little small, once agin not the one I had resreved the room was nice it was more or less the way the staff treated us that got to all of us!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank kris3990
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I really have mixed feelings about this hotel. I didn't feel it deserved an average rating, but not exactly a poor one either. First off, there are two things great about this hotel: location and price. The hotel is directly on Seawall Blvd at a corner with a street light. Perfect when going to the beach across the road. You have a light and crosswalk to use, which is very important in Galveston considering how wide and busy the main drag is. The price was $154 after tax, which is pretty good considering all the rooms have a private balcony and views of the gulf.

I had read reviews about this hotel and some friends had stayed here, so I knew that it was pretty dated. Boy, is it ever. First off, this place needs a really good powerwash and a fresh coat of paint. The outside looks really run down and the signs (like for pool, no smoking, etc) were literally peeling off the walls. The elevator was the scariest thing I encountered in a long time. 4 people could barely squeeze in, it smelled of burnt motor oil, and it rumbled like a freight train. We were on the 4th floor, so I had to use it going up, but did the stairs coming down. The rooms were ok at first glance, but very basic. As in no microwave, no mini-fridge, no iron or board, and very limited drawer space. Since I have kids, of course I brought snacks and drinks. No where to keep anything cold or to heat anything up, so that aggravated me. It had a nice, flat screen TV; but you could only get about 10 channels and they were so fuzzy that you really couldn't watch anything. Not good when you're settling in for the night or wanna catch the news. The bathroom was ok, but again VERY basic. The shower didn't work right, it shut off in the middle of showering and just kinda trickled out, so we used the bath. The drain plug was the metal kind the is supposed to attached down inside, so you just turn the little thing and it pops up and down. Well, ours just came right out of the drain hole and was all covered with rust and lime. Pretty gross. The beds were comfy, though and housekeeping cleaned the room thoroughly while we were out. I had heard the desk staff was super nice. Um...not really. I was barely spoken to, and never asked how my stay was going. Most of the housekeeping staff were Hispanic and didn't speak much English but would smile and nod. When I checked in, the desk clerk barely looked at me and even though I asked for a parking permit twice during my stay (because of the threatening signs that said you would be towed without one) I was just waved off and told not to worry about it. Oh, yeah. The parking isn't great. Small lot, with limited spaces. I had to wedge my mid-size car into a couple of tight spots and even came back one night with NO parking spot available. I went in and they told me to park in some back parking lot on the side, but then said I could just park in the registration only spot.

And some of you may think this is a bonus, but it wasn't for me. You couldn't smoke ANYWHERE on the property. I mean, you were pretty much told that right up front with a really nasty attitude about it. This isn't really a big deal, bc even thought I do smoke, I never get smoking rooms bc of the kids, however; I just assumed you could smoke on the balcony. Nothing like watching the sunrise or set with a nice cigarette while the kids are sleeping or swimming. I've stayed at a few beach properties before and I've always done this. Nope. Not here. So, I had to go down 4 flights of stairs and across the parking lot to smoke. Needless to say, I only sat on the balcony one time during the entire stay. So if you're a smoker, be prepared about this. Also, make sure you get the password for the internet when you check in. They WILL NOT give it to over the phone. You have to actually go into the lobby and pick it up.

So, all in all. Would I stay here again? Probably not. The little things did it for me, and I really felt like I was staying in some run down motel, than on the beach. If they just really cleaned it up and added a few ammenities to the rooms, it would be so much nicer. But then they would probably just jack up the price.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor so you don't have to take the elevator!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family