“Last trip to the Commodore”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I have stayed at the Commodore before. This will be my last time. The manager, Gary Druss, obviously does not keep an eye on the establishment. When arriving to check in, we had to wait an hour to check in. The older man who caims to be the oldest employee there told us to wait so we did. It wasn't that our room wasn't ready, but that they needed an embossing of my credit card. We did not find this out until Patricia came on at the desk. So we sat and waited like dummies. I asked Patricia where the handicapped parking spots were located because my aunt has a gimp leg. She replied " We have handicapped spaces but we are not going to ask those patrons to move for you." That was not what I asked her As if I would want another hadicapped person to move. That was our first experience with rudeness. The second day, our room was hot and I called to get a maintenence person to come up. When I called an African American employee told me rudely that they had people checking in and were too busy to help me. I replied that my daughter had a sunburn and we needed cold air. To my knowledge, no one came to look at it. I will say that the rooms were clean and that the cleaning staff were nice. The cleaning staff should be the ones at the front desk. The television only gets a few channels. Stay somewhere else! S. Houston, Henderson, Texas

2  Thank ShapingtheUniverse

Reviewed 5 August 2008

Gross! Whatever you do, Please do not spend your money. This was so disgusting. When we pulled up and seen thoseprison blue doors I knew it was going to be awful!! The sheets and pillows were dirty i mean filthy. The pillows smelled like pure funk. Those awful brick walls!!! The bathroom was designed for an 8 yr old. YES it was that small. Those beds were ridiculo8us also! I dont know what was up with that mattress because it was on this crazy slant and I almost fell out!! We had drove for almost 6 hrs so i had to fall asleep because I was dead tired.. I WOKE UP AT 2 AM GAGGING! MY 2 YR OLD WOKE UP SCREAMING!(SHE NEVER DID THIS) SO THIS CAUSED MY MY HUSBAND AND SON TO WAKE UP. I asked for a crib in the room and they bought me this old dirtry playpen, I mean the dirt was BLACK!! WE ALL WERE UP AND I WAS ON THE NET AT 4 AM LOOKING UP ANOTHER HOTEL. AS SOON AS DAYLIGHT HIT WE WERE OUT OF THERE!!! DISGUSTING!!

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank dari1536
Reviewed 27 July 2008

The Commodore on the Beach is one of those classic "you get what you pay for" kind of places. Galveston, TX has become very expensive in recent years since the cruise ships come in there so its a challenge to find an economical, clean little motel to just hang out on the beach for a few days. The Commodore is that kind of motel. It has a mom & pop feel to it. The front desk staff were older, friendly types and were very helpful. The pros: right across the street from the beach, walking distance to a couple of restaurants, economical, a balcony where you can chill out and just watch the ocean, great swimming pool, clean. The cons: the rooms are small, when we were there the local channels were not coming in on the cable, traffic noise on the Seawall until about 10:00, continental breakfast is lacking. I took my two daughters and grandaughter to Galveston to essentially hang out on the beach for a few days. We had a good time.

1  Thank ls1202
Reviewed 18 July 2008

We booked our vacation on line with Expedia and to say the least it was down hill from there. The hotel looked 30 years older when we arrived. And actually thought it might not be the right hotel since it looked much older. We stil check in so we could see the room and what a room it was. It had a 2 inch crack going down the balcony, a bathroom so small you couldn't believe it. The ceiling was literally falling down in places as well as the A/C was leaking down the vent. The room was 1/4 the size of the picture we seen on Expedia and in much worse shape!!!!!!! Expedia did nothing to help us rebook our reservations, as well as nothing to help us get out of the reservation at that dump!!!! So there for my husband was on the phone for over 4 hours with Expedia to see if they were going to help us out and no they left us........ We will not use them again ... and plan to tell everyone we know not to either. The experience was terrible because they are such a huge company and no one did a thing to help us re-book. Tracy Butler

2  Thank ladedaMesquite
Reviewed 20 June 2008

Just got back from Galveston. The Commodore had its good and bad points.

Good:
View
Close to the beach
Price

Bad:
Pool--was closed one day and had mildew on the waterfall.
TV--it was out 2 days--office said it would be fixed soon the entire time
Floor: Stayed on the bottom floor. View not as good and the pool gates were open to the parking lot all the time so we didn't feel secure.
Shower:water pressure was lousy.

Overalll it was what we expected except for the mildew on the pool.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Dockbuilder
Reviewed 19 June 2008

If you are not a local and know what it is you are getting, run. I got another room down the road, go west to the suites and you can get a nice one for less if they are not full. great location and view.old but would be ok if they had any amenities in the rooms. no coffee pot or ironing board. they had an iron though.loud late and no laundry room coke machine was broke and ice machine worked on 2nd night. lobby staff were nice but were overwhelmed by people from out of town who saw picture on internet &thought they were getting a nice place and wanted to check out. no breakfast worth talking about. instant oatmeal, muffins,. and cereal.wife cried and had a bad 2 days until i relocated

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank beenthere100
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We were really disappointed when we arrived to the hotel. I guess it’s like that old saying “you can’t judge a book by its cover” and you shouldn’t assume that what you’re seeing in the pictures is exactly what you’ll get.

The morning staff an older Caucasian man and women was polite to us when we checked in, although our room was not yet ready they held onto our bags and encourage us to grab something to eat.

The older gentleman that works the night shift was rude and not polite. We’ve requested towels a couple of times and no one brought it up to us, so we had to walk downstairs to grab them.

When we checked into our rooms, it looks icky and dirty. The brick walls was outdated and the other plain walls was dirty and needed a new paint job. I was not at all impressed with the bathroom, and did not think that where the toilet was sitting is attracting.

The bedding sheets and pillows was nasty, I didn’t think I could lay in them. They had a foul smell to them like someone went to bed in sweats. The towels had yellow spots all over them.

AND the biggest disappointment of it all is the FACT they listed Wireless Internet….. Anyway, lets just put it this way….. YEAH WHATEVER!!! For the life of us, we COULD NOT get any wireless connection in our room. We ended up going to the front desk and used the internet and to top it off, it wasn’t EVEN wire less from the Commodore; we were using the wireless from Gaido’s... They shouldn't OFFER amenities that they don’t have, because they'r WASTING our MONEY and times.

Lastly, the location SUCKS! There was no shopping that was walking distance and we had to take the taxi every where that we want to go. HOW FREAKING disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank thiscuriouscandy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#27 of 52 in Galveston Island
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!