“Nice with a Great View”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We will be staying again. This was a nice clean hotel with an awesome view of the beach and a little stretch of the legs to Bubba Gump's on Pleasure Pier. We stayed for 2 nights before boarding the Carnival Triumph and I really couldn't have asked for a better hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna C

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Commodore on the Beach is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The hotel does not have quality rooms. The furniture is old and dirty. In room TV programming is minimum. The room I was assigned, contained a bath tub (fish bowl) that was 36" *28". The AC (heater in Dec.) produced a loud hissing noise that maintenance could not repair. It is advertised as "on the beach" but in fact, you will not hear the waves, but you will hear cars roaring by because it is extremely close to the main street. Do not take your concerns to the staff, it's not their concern.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dwight U
Reviewed 19 December 2013

this is a harsh review but i want families to know what i experienced in three hours. my 17 year old son was approached by a guy on the way to our room asking if he wanted to buy some "weed". we went down to the pool and there was nothing but drunks sitting around yelling and cussing. one of them got up and tried to walk and fell right in front of us and then got into a big argument with her boyfriend. after the sun went down a young couple started having sex on the third floor balcony and at that point i packed us up and we left.

Room Tip: the view on the top floor was nice but just a bad place for kids
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Ac unit whined so loud you could hardly talk in the room. Electrical system is in dangerous condition. Receptacles sparked when plugs were plugged in. Then there was no hot water the next morning. When I reported all this to the front desk they just laughed and said that the hot water doesn't work in the building. I thought that was so incredible I tool my wife back to witness that statement. Then the clerk got smart and lied and denied saying that. A real nightmare!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Bct45
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Hotel is on a superb location. All room's balcony open to the sea, panorama is too good. I've paid $90/night for king size room.
My choice was room on 4rth floor, room was superb but Heater was not working. Later we shift to 3rd floor. Hotel service is OK. We have to bring water from front office to our room.
Overall it was good experience to stay.

Room Tip: Try to find room on 4rth floor to have a good view of sea.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

If you are looking for a fancy place to celebrate, you may want to save up your shekels for a nicer place. if this is all you can afford, then the view of the beach and gulf is just as nice as it would be down the road for a lot more money. I stayed one night this past weekend. Since I was going alone to get away from all the Black Friday crazies, I just wanted some place cheap. The property is definitely old and dated, but you know that going in. It is in a great location and within walking distance to several restaurants. The one next door is called The Gumbo Diner (I think). They have really good food, and great staff. I would stay at this place again for a no frills weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the third of fourth floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This place was so awful that we left the city early and went to Houston. The room was old and dirty. The front desk employees were lazy! On top of the terrible condition and poor service, I left my textbooks for class and felt as though I was lied to on the phone. They told me to call back when the maids were in the next day and when I did the lady at the front desk said she "Didn't have no books." I continued to be polite and I called back that night. I was told again that the maids would be in the next morning and to call back for them to check lost and found. After calling for 4 days in a row one of their employees told me she saw my books but had no idea where they put it. This was extremely frustrating. I gave up on ever seeing my books again because of their rude and lazy attitudes.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Galveston
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
3 mi away
Best Western Plus Seawall Inn & Suites By The Beach

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!