“Never again.”

Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Bryan, Texas
“Never again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

I will say, for the price, it was not bad. Where it got bad was once home, we had BEDBUGS!!!! Yes, bedbugs. I looked online for way to combat these nasty things and a few of the websites said if you call to let the hotel know, they will deny it and some might say you, the guest, brought them in. Sure enough, I called to let them know and the woman let me know they spray at least once every one to two months. (By the way, spraying does not kill bedbugs) She was also nice enough to let me know that they have NEVER heard of this problem before so what I am saying can't be true. I honestly started the conversation by saying that I am not upset and am not asking for any compensation, I just wanted to give them the chance to remedy this issue so no one else might have this issue. This person didn't even ask my name, room #, or time I stayed there. The place is a bit run down but again, for the money I didn't feel was bad, till a week or so after I got home. I would have totally thought bedbugs were a myth until this place. NEVER AGAIN!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Copperas Cove, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

First when we checked in the gentleman was rude, why I had to provide my drivers license number and license plate was beyond me (especially since people were parking in the parking lot and going to the beach across the street). Check out was great because we didn't have to go back to the front desk and deal with anyone. The room had a bathtub big enough for a baby. The ceiling in the bathroom was lifted out of the hanging ceiling rails. The toilet was like we were at a rest area. The bathtub drain plug was not in having me put it in - it did not work. The drain plug in the sink did not work. The shower water turned from hot to cold on regular intervals - making it seem like they wanted you to get in and out of the shower quicker on purpose. The beds were doubles not queens (very small) and it seemed like they had plastic on them. The air conditioner worked but did not cool the room (unless you stand under it then had to avoid the leaks from it). The pool had music so loud that you were not sure if it was coming from there or the street. Although you had no control over this but the noise outside the room was awful - I had to wear ear plugs to get to sleep. Car alarms going off, motorcycle revving up, music so loud that it would set off car alarms. One of the best things was the hotel was right next door to Joes Crab Shack - which closed down the next day for good, but at least we didn't have to walk anywhere. Parking was horrible - the parking spots were small and most of the spaces were taken up by the people going to the beach across the street. Oh and the free Wi-Fi internet access– um yeah there isn’t any. The picture of the hotel is very misleading – hotel, pool, sidewalk, road then beach – not hotel, pool, beach like it shows in the photo. I would have to say I will not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

We were supposed to stay two nights but we ended up staying only one night because this place was filthy, rats were wondering around everywhere, the carpet was dirty and the balcony was also very dirty.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dorato
ft worth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

This place is nothing like the website represents it to be! The air conditioner did not work, carpet was disgusting, beds are old and dirty and lumpy, mold in bathroom and on ceilings, roaches on curtains! Staff did nothing to remedy the air conditioner problem other than send up a box fan! It was 100 degrees at night and we had a baby with us!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank vistigal
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

We took two rooms on the top floor at the end. Location is GREAT, just walk across street to the beach and jetty. Joe's Crab Shack is right next door, very handy! View from balcony is great and overall it was very quiet. Our rooms were very clean and everything worked. Beds were super comfortable w/spotless and nice linens and down-like comforters. This is a truly vintage hotel, looks to have been built in the 60s or 70s and not updated much since then. Bathrooms were cramped and very basic. We had trouble with our shower draining due to sand from the last tenants. The pool area is just so-so, skip it. Continental breakfast was fine. Parking very tight at night and I had to park in the overflow lot which was well lit but didn't feel that safe. Good basic hotel, good value for money, we'd stay here again. My husband and I sort of got a kick out of this place ---- it felt like something we would have stayed in as kids in the 70s.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank watermarkfarm
Butler, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I wish I would have read these reviews before my husband and I decided to take a trip to Galveston. This was one of the most reasonable priced places on the beach and the pictures looked fine so we booked for a 1 night stay. When we drove up, immediately, we knew it was not the place depicted in the pictures. The parking is almost non-existant. It was a challenge to find a parking place and when you did, you could barely squeeze in there - the parking places must have been made for super compact cars. DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATOR - that was one of the more scarier experiences I have had. It stunk and made noises that I know are not normal. The outside of the place looks like it has never been updated - even after the storms. Once we got into our room, it wasn't much better. Yes, the rooms are spacious but the bathroom had a "gas station" toilet in the corner and also a tub/shower stuck in the corner. The tub/shower was just large enough to stand in (not that I would have sat down) and the stopper in the bottom looked like something drug out of the ocean. The only place to hang clothes was in the bathroom. The carpet in the room felt like it hasn't been cleaned in years. The bed was a King but was like sleeping on boards and using sandpaper as sheets. No sleep whatsoever because everytime someone closed a door (no matter where it was located), it shook the room. Now, the upside of this place is the view and the location. You are right in the middle of everything - Joe's Crab Shack is right next door and the ocean is right across the street. Would I stay there again? Absolutely NOT - I would have paid double to stay somewhere else versus staying here again. I left there more stressed than when I arrived.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beachgrl3641
Deer Park, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

We chose it because it was the cheapest and we got what we paid for. We were on the top floor on the end which was nice. It was within walking distance of a fun gay bar and it has a fantastic low budget diner right in the parking lot called The Greasy Kettle or something. Very convenient. It's all downhill from here. The stair wells were filthy with layers of black greasy hand-cheese on the handrails. The hall floors were filthy. And you must really be brave to use that old rickety elevator. If the cable doesn't snap and kill you surely the Ebola will. It too is filthy. The room seemed about as clean as any other 2star I've seen, but the air conditioner was struggling and losing. We complained, but apparently they just tell everybody it needs a new filter, they will fix it shortly and they never show up. By the time you realize they're yanking your wang it's too late to get your money back and go elsewhere. Pretty smooth scam. I would have to say go elsewhere if you can, but do stop in at The Copper Kettle. Try the patty melt or the biscuits & gravy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fishnipples
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#23 of 53 in Galveston Island
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Days Inn & Suites Galveston West/Seawall

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!